Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Tony wrote: »
    Yes it is , take a look at audio settings and make sure dolby digital downmix is turned off

Yup that did it thanks Tony.

There is a little problem here though... I have the downmix on by default so I can use the Duo remote for volume when viewing channels.

In the MediaPlayer, if I select a movie file, then select downmix off in the audio it doesn't switch the audio straight away (which is where I was having problems). However if I exit the movie file and go back in, then the downmix is off.

It stays off for everything though, so if I want to use the remote for volume back at the channels, I need to re-set that option in the standard audio menu.

A bit messy.

Guess I'd better mention that at world-of-satellite ...unless there's some other media player type plugin that works better (?)

The standard mediaplayer seems good for playbacks, but pausing, etc. doesn't seem great. It seems hit & miss so far if a pause in a large MKV (for example) will resume when PLAY is pressed. ...again, unless there's a better way to do this ?

Overall I'm well impressed that it can play these at all. It'd be amazing if it could be finetuned just a teensy bit further to iron-out these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Rayob

I wonder if anyone could tell me, on the media player is it possible to pause and resume playback at the point you left off ? I have some audio books on mp3 format and they play fine on the media player but if I stop and come back to it later, it always reverts back to the start. I tried downloading the Merlin music Player but that also does the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,219 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Does anyone know where I can find screenshots of the various images, wanna check what tv, media etc look like before taking the plunge.
    Or does anyone know if they compare well to MediaPortal i.e. movie information, tv series information, recorded tv information etc

fritzelly wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can find screenshots of the various images, wanna check what tv, media etc look like before taking the plunge.
    Or does anyone know if they compare well to MediaPortal i.e. movie information, tv series information, recorded tv information etc

All satellite feeds share the same source descriptions as far as I know. Well maybe there are slight variations, but the ones I see on the Duo are much the same as I see on my Freesat.

There are some images here from an earlier Vix release. Most of them are configuration screens that you'll rarely need to look at once set up -and you'll probably not need to see/use most of the ones there at any time (they're only there because they are new features in that release).

It's the last few pictures that you'll be seeing normally (not Simon Cowell of course), but even then if you don't like the look/ colours of how things are presented you can use a different 'skin' to change the look.

You can also use an imdb plugin (free obviously) to get more detailed movie descriptions, etc. if required. The Duo should be connected to the internet/ home network to get the most from it of course.

Basically, the amount of information on programmes available to you via the Duo is second to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,219 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thanks for that, seems to look ok to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭irishgeo

epg woes

can someone help me sort out my epg woes.

the guide never seems to download right.

Should i have rytec, open tv and rytec repacked all checked to download or just one which is the best?

Cross epg is set to download every night at 4am but it only fills in half the channels now.

BBC1 HD and BBC2 are blank.

I use to Dreambox services database to keep my channels upto date.

Where i am going wrong, i was using balckhole image before it was working fine for downloading EPG.

irishgeo wrote: »
    epg woes

can someone help me sort out my epg woes.

the guide never seems to download right.

Should i have rytec, open tv and rytec repacked all checked to download or just one which is the best?

Cross epg is set to download every night at 4am but it only fills in half the channels now.

BBC1 HD and BBC2 are blank.

I use to Dreambox services database to keep my channels upto date.

Where i am going wrong, i was using balckhole image before it was working fine for downloading EPG.

What image are you using now and what release? (there were a few in the past month or so)

The main reason I ask is because this usually confuses me too whenever things are jumbled up by an update. I generally muck about until it's working right, but never quite fully understand what I've done to fix it. ...But since installing the most recent Vix I haven't changed anything in the epg and I've not had any issues with satt or dtt epg.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

Rayob wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone could tell me, on the media player is it possible to pause and resume playback at the point you left off ? I have some audio books on mp3 format and they play fine on the media player but if I stop and come back to it later, it always reverts back to the start. I tried downloading the Merlin music Player but that also does the same thing.

I think the pause and resume only works with video files, that's my experience anyway. It's worked for some mp4 files I downloaded from youtube, maybe if you worked out an easy way to transcode the mp3s to mp4, pause/resume might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Rayob

Thanks for that rurs. Its just that when I play the same mp3 files on an SD card through my car radio it always resumes from the point where I stopped. Very handy when listening to an audio book. With the VU+ duo media player I have to note the point where I stopped and fast forward to that when I resume. Its not a huge issue but would have been nice if I could have done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

great sat box, not so good as media player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭micks_address

hi guys, just bought a Play TV tuner for small money, what do i need to do when it arrives to get it working with my Vu+ Duo.. i have a digital aerial already connected to tv and receiving saorview.

I connect all up and what drivers do i use? Using latest vix image

How do you tune the DTT channels? Do i need to do a complete rescan of everything?

Cheers,
    Mick

drivers are hauppauge dib 0700, if you're on 3 rock, 738000@8MhZ, it's a dual tuner, I forget what 2nd mux is on, I'm sure some boardsie will fill in the blanks.

Yes im on 3 rock.. could you give brief steps of what i need to do from powering on box after all is connect up etc?

i know how to work DB edit, so once tuned will prob just create a new saorview bouquet and sort them in that.

can i install drivers now before connecting tuner?

Cheers,
    Mick
    stanley1 wrote: »
    drivers are hauppauge dib 0700, if you're on 3 rock, 738000@8MhZ, it's a dual tuner, I forget what 2nd mux is on, I'm sure some boardsie will fill in the blanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

could you give brief steps of what i need to do from powering on box after all is connect up etc?

Menu/plugins/press green button(downloan plugins) select drivers and 0700 driver for play tv tuner.

Wait until you have tuner connected to usb at back before doing this.

When you have above done, restart vu. FULL restart. Then go to Menu/setup/service searching/tuner config. You should now see tuner c and d Select tuner c first and change terrestrial provider to Europe dvb-t frequencies. Do the same for tuner d. exit and do manual scan of tuner c.

Then you are ready for dreamboxedit.

All above assumes you have VU connected to internet and using VIX image.

Enjoy!

givecredit wrote: »
    could you give brief steps of what i need to do from powering on box after all is connect up etc?

Menu/plugins/press green button(downloan plugins) select drivers and 0700 driver for play tv tuner.

Wait until you have tuner connected to usb at back before doing this.

When you have above done, restart vu. FULL restart. Then go to Menu/setup/service searching/tuner config. You should now see tuner c and d Select tuner c first and change terrestrial provider to Europe dvb-t frequencies. Do the same for tuner d. exit and do manual scan of tuner c.

Then you are ready for dreamboxedit.

All above assumes you have VU connected to internet and using VIX image.

Enjoy!
    Cheers do I need to do manual tune of both tuners?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Cheers do I need to do manual tune of both tuners?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Nevermind.

Hi folks installed Blackhole last night but struggling to get an epg as nice as the vix one . Have installed cooltv guide but haven't got picon s etc to work and not mad about colours. What everyone else using? Cheers Mick

vix, best of the lot.

vix, best of the lot.
    Will prob go back to vix tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Wiggy

Wiggy wrote: »
    That is interesting, but it is not the problem I am having.

I get consistent 70%+ signal strength, and don't get artifacts.

It just randomly stops working. If it is working, and I do a GUI reboot, it always stops working. And if I do a full reboot, it starts working again.

I use a USB stick for swap and Picons, so I am going to try a powered USB to see if that fixes it.

OK - I've been using BH 1.7.2 with the addition of a powered USB hub for over a week now, and it seems to be working perfectly.

BH 1.7.2 changed the behaviour of the Nova stick, in that it didn't drop all channels after a GUI reboot.

And the powered hub seems definitely to have cured the random dropping of all channels.

Happy days.....

Strangely though, my swapfile USB stick (Voyager) is not detected (even though it does get powered) if it's connected to the hub. So I plug that directly into the STB, and plug the Nova into the hub.

are the summaries still disappearing in channel list ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

are the summaries still disappearing in channel list ?

Yes unfortunately

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

it's been on every version of blackhole, maybe memory leak, nobody, as yet has found a fix.

Yes unfortunately

Doesn't really bother me, as I still get summaries in Cool TV Guide.

Yeah I installed that just the other day. Do you have to map a button on the remote to activate it ?

Yeah I installed that just the other day. Do you have to map a button on the remote to activate it ?

There is an option in the setup to map the red button in order to get into the guide, which I enabled.

But if you are on a channel, and press EPG, you will get Cool TV Mini guide for that programme. You can press EPG again to see Cool TV Mini guide for that channel. And at any stage within this you can press Yellow to switch to the regular Cool TV Guide.

Cool TV Guide is awesome.....

Great info thanks

There is an option in the setup to map the red button in order to get into the guide, which I enabled.

But if you are on a channel, and press EPG, you will get Cool TV Mini guide for that programme. You can press EPG again to see Cool TV Mini guide for that channel. And at any stage within this you can press Yellow to switch to the regular Cool TV Guide.

Cool TV Guide is awesome.....

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

Which version are you using?

As an aside, you can install multi quick button, which enables remapping of the keys. I have the EPG button set to launch Cool TV, red button for timers etc.

• Advertisement

rurs wrote: »
    Which version are you using?

As an aside, you can install multi quick button, which enables remapping of the keys. I have the EPG button set to launch Cool TV, red button for timers etc.

5.5 I think? The one that displays picons on the top of the screen.

I used to use MQB, but the only reason I had it was to assign CoolTVGuide to the EPG button. MQB isn't included in backup, so I just gave up on it.

I found I preferred the default functionality of CoolTVGuide once I got used to it. And CoolTVGuide allows me to assign a short Green Button to Auto Timer, which was my main reason for wanting to assign buttons in any case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement