Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Importing from China?

• 23-07-2012 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I've been living in China for over 2 years now. I work mainly in design and marketing, mainly online.

I have a Norwegian friend here who sources Chinese manufacturers for his Norwegian clients, everything from fabric, to model cars, to shopping trolly coins... he's been doing it for over 5 years and it looks like something I'd be good at and enjoy.

He says most of his clients have come from friends and associates... he has a website, but it's pretty bad, and doesn't receive much traffic.

He's willing to show me the ropes, and even said I could tag along to the Canton fair in 2 months, huge manufacturing expo.

Are there any Irish services such as this for Irish businesses/entrepreneurs?

Are you such and entrepreneur?

I'm really just looking for advice on how best to find Irish clients who are looking for an Irishman in China.

Also, what search terms would you put in google to find such a service?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Great idea and there is definitely a market. I would certainly be interested in a sourcing service based in China run by an Irish bod. I reckon potential users would like to see a decent cv clearly outlining your education, skills and experience.
    Your Norwegian frriend's experience of introduction through contacts is a great model and allied to a bit of self promotion here with Boards.ie, business plus magazine, Startup of the day with businesspost.ie. should do the trick to get you started.
    A local partner/point of contact at home would give a great boost to potential client confidence.

You are welcome to PM me if you want to open up the discussion. You will get some good feedback here as there are a lot of pretty sharp commercial minds on this forum.

Cheers

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭okiss

I think that you could have a business here.
    I would just be aware that when you pricing goods in China that Chinese goods are not as cheap as they once were. The currency has got strong and wages have risen a lot. The majority of Chinese companies want to be paid in US Dollars and the value against the euro is not great at the moment.
    Another thing that is very important is that your buyer fills out the correct payment form for china. It needs to have both business name on it along with the correct bank details from Ireland to China.
    I would also get to know all the import documents and to make sure that the correct business name of the company in china to the company in Ireland are correct.
    Some Irish companies may have a number of business working under the one address and if the documents say one co name but mean another it can cause a lot of problems from a tax and accounting point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭bacon?

Great idea and there is definitely a market. I would certainly be interested in a sourcing service based in China run by an Irish bod. I reckon potential users would like to see a decent cv clearly outlining your education, skills and experience.
    Your Norwegian frriend's experience of introduction through contacts is a great model and allied to a bit of self promotion here with Boards.ie, business plus magazine, Startup of the day with businesspost.ie. should do the trick to get you started.
    A local partner/point of contact at home would give a great boost to potential client confidence.

You are welcome to PM me if you want to open up the discussion. You will get some good feedback here as there are a lot of pretty sharp commercial minds on this forum.

Cheers

Peter

Great advice Peter, and thanks for the support... I'll pm you and we can have a chat.

I've been on here years, but don't use it as often as I used to... I'm here mostly for chit chat... but am an established member of warriorforum, the largest internent marketing forum.... I also worked for one of Ireland's largest companies for 12 years...

Will be in touch... cheers.

okiss wrote: »
    I think that you could have a business here.
    I would just be aware that when you pricing goods in China that Chinese goods are not as cheap as they once were. The currency has got strong and wages have risen a lot. The majority of Chinese companies want to be paid in US Dollars and the value against the euro is not great at the moment.
    Another thing that is very important is that your buyer fills out the correct payment form for china. It needs to have both business name on it along with the correct bank details from Ireland to China.
    I would also get to know all the import documents and to make sure that the correct business name of the company in china to the company in Ireland are correct.
    Some Irish companies may have a number of business working under the one address and if the documents say one co name but mean another it can cause a lot of problems from a tax and accounting point of view.

Good points, I imagine my friend here has been through a lot of these issues. He called his job more like "problem solving"

I really think I'm in a unique postion to help Irish business source reputable Chinese manufactures... I've been working here for 2 years, Know a bit of the lingo, and how they do business... and now I've an incredible resource with the Norwegian.

I've told him I'd help him out with his site... which is a bit of a mess.

If anyone has any advice, or would like to know more about my background, I'd be happy to have a chat over skype, or email.

I also have a linked in profile which has my full work history in Ireland and here in China.

Pm me :)

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

I'd say there is a demand for someone like that alright, but there must be loads already doing it with all the €2 shops about, and the amount of stuff on ebay (they cant all be dropshippers!)?
    You would need to know your stuff though :D There is a guy on here who is normally very helpful in this area (Rudolph?) and could give you sound advice.
    Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

There are a few people doing this but Im sure there is room for more. I think for a business here their many worry with importing is always going to be quality control and knowing that what comes off the boat here is what they have ordered in China and is of the quality etc they paid for. Having someone based over there looking after things on that end is a big plus and if you can explain to someone here the whole process and organise everything for them from going out to visit factories and look at products to getting it to their front door here then you are sure to get customers.

I would have a chat with Rudolph289 off here - hes usually on giving advice in relation to the logistics and shipping side of things from China - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=222187

That's great, thanks a lot guys.

I've sent Rudolf a pm.

Will keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Almc2000

Did you start your business please pm me ?

Pm sent. :)

Advertisement