Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your SINGLE favourite film

• 05-06-2012 10:46am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

People are always keen to tell you their top 5 "in no particular order" or mumble and mention about three films when you ask them straight out what their favourite film is. It's a very difficult thing to do, but I think everyone should be able to tell you what their favourite film is at any given moment. Maybe it changes from day to day or minute to minute, but you should have an answer ready when somebody jumps out of a train and throws the question at you.

I'll answer. My favourite film is 2001: A Space Odyssey.

The reasons are: it encompasses the birth of humanity (the "apes" look stupid but the moment when they discover tool use is perhaps my favourite in all cinema) and goes all the way to the next stage in intellectual and existential development. It is beautifully shot and the classical soundtrack (the inclusion of Johann Strauss' Waltz on the beautiful Blue Danube is genius). It deals with questions of greater depth than anything else I have ever seen (for example, human versus computer intellect, morality versus pragmatism, known versus unknown and about a million more). It also ends with one of the most ambigious and bewildering finales in all of cinema, which allows a subjective interpretation and endless speculation, which lends a great deal of mystery to the whole affair.

I'll end my love-in there. So who can pin their cinematic taste down to one single film in an unambiguous manner? Posts include references to more than one film will be booed and shunned!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Diamond_Ninja

12 Angry Men (1957) with Henry Fonda. I don't have any particular reasoning, I just adore it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Snatch.

I've loved this movie since the day I first watched it. Don't really have any particular reasons it's just overall wonderful!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭popzmaster

Commando

Somewhere, somehow, someone's gonna pay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

Training Day or 300.

But I could name many films that are not far off them

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Casablanca. I just adore it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Fire1985 wrote: »
    Training Day or 300.

But I could name many films that are not far off them

Ahhhhh!!! Two films mentioned!!!!

Go with Training Day if people ask you. As much as I enjoyed 300, Gerard Butler is in it....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Heat .............2 of my fav actors.....and michael mann as director

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. a great mix of everything I like in a film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

American History X

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

The Goonies!!

no wait........................Scrooged!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

12 Angry Men (1957) with Henry Fonda. I don't have any particular reasoning, I just adore it!

Yes, I was only thinking of that film last night. Brilliantly simple but executed so so well.

For me it's a hard one. I could change my mind next week. If I had to pick one, it would be No country for old men. It was Lee-Jones's character that made it for me, a proud sheriff that could do nothing to contain the evil of the world no matter how hard he tried. His closing is brilliant as is his opening

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Hard to pick one

But I'd probably have to lock myself in a room for about 10 years and watch

The Terminator
    Aliens

Back to back and over and over

Then I can choose...

BX 19 wrote: »
    Yes, I was only thinking of that film last night. Brilliantly simple but executed so so well.

For me it's a hard one. I could change my mind next week. If I had to pick one, it would be No country for old men. It was Lee-Jones's character that made it for me, a proud sheriff that could do nothing to contain the evil of the world no matter how hard he tried. His closing is brilliant as is his opening

Nice choice. It is the most unreasonably criticised film of the last decade, to the point that I often use it as a screening for potential friends. If they don't get No Country, I don't get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Cinema Paradiso.

It's been in my Top 5 since the first time I ever saw it. Beautiful movie. Tomorrow my answer would probably be different but it always rotates between the same 6/7 movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I'd say 2001 myself but I have to be in the mood for it. If I were to talk about a film that brings a big smile to my face then it would probably be Total Recall or Robocop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly for me. As Borderfox said, the film has everything for me. Good acting, amazing characters, epic story, great dialogue, funny lines, brilliant music and a fantastic end. There's no film I can watch over and over like this one, for some reason I never get bored of it. Even the dubbed parts somehow add to the atmosphere of the film.
    TheDoc wrote: »
    Hard to pick one

But I'd probably have to lock myself in a room for about 10 years and watch

The Terminator
    Aliens

Back to back and over and over

Then I can choose...

Surely you mean Alien and Terminator 2 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Fight Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

o brother where art thou,it has a great soundtrack and cast. Very funny film too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Raiders Of The Lost Ark- because its blockbuster cinema perfection. An iconic hero, well developed female lead, great villains, some cracking setpieces, great script and of course John Williams masterpiece of a score, its perfect imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Nice choice. It is the most unreasonably criticised film of the last decade, to the point that I often use it as a screening for potential friends. If they don't get No Country, I don't get them.

Yea I know. It takes a little bit of thinking and several watches to get the background meaning of the film. But, yea its one of those films that leaves you thinking for days afterwords.

I could add Shutter Island. Its heavily overshadowed by Inception, but I think its a better film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Easy.

Predator. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the life and death of colonel blimp

blimp and a matter of life and death are constantly jockying for the first place spot in any list i'd make of my favourite films but being honest about it a matter of life and death only gets that close at all is because of david niven, blimp is just the perfect movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I'm going with The Prestige.

A movie that was better on the second viewing on the first, and even after 5+ viewings I was still noticing subtle things that help tighten the twists & turns.
    I'm always a fan of flawed protagonist, and Nolan seems to love making his characters driven by some obsession. Bale & Jackman are both superb.
    I loved Jackman's speech towards the end of the movie.

Anytime I sided with one of the leads, something would happen to make me doubt my support. Both characters are incredible flawed in their own way. Bale's character always seems more intense and as a result easy to perceive as sinister, while Jackman's character always seems to be a self regarded victim of the former's acts, but realistically the lengths both men go to to be victorious in the one-upmanship is staggering, and genius.

And David Bowie's Nikola Tesla is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

This Is Spinal Tap

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

[It's been said here earlier but here's my reasons for it]
    I'd have to say Fight Club for this.
    I've said it before on boards and after becoming a huge fan of One Flew..., The Silence of the Lambs and Stand By Me since then, I'm still sticking with Fight Club.

Norton's narrating is magnificent, the storyline (in particular the twist) is terrific, but the message is the best thing about it (My sig has two of my favourite lines from it). I don't think a movie has changed my way of thinking as much as Fight Club. To me, that is why it's the greatest movie of all time and my single favourite movie.

It's scenes like this that are life-changing:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Grosse Point Blank.

Brilliant writing, awesome gun battles, and Dan Ackroyd is amazing.

And David Bowie's Nikola Tesla is fantastic

I'll agree, despite the most unplaceable accent ever committed to film.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bigyawn

Spinal Tap

Has made me laugh every time Ive watched it (which is a lot) for the last 25 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

So hard to pick ONE! So hard not to mention so many... so I'll just say

American History X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Fargo

Advertisement