Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penneys

• 09-03-2009 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

Wouldn't it be great if Penney's had an online shop!

I've seen so many cool, funky cheap bits in magazines lately and they either NEVER stock them OR they run out asap!
    They never have my size in shoes either, they are always sold out!

I think an online store would be spot on!

Anybody agree... Or are you one of those people who manage to get in there delivery day?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

1)Car
    2)Newry
    3)Into Primark
    4)Stock Up
    5)Home in time for the 9 O' Clock news.

I agree though, online would be brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

PrivateEye wrote: »
    1)Car
    2)Newry
    3)Into Primark
    4)Stock Up

I agree though, online would be brilliant.

Hmmm.... Good idea! Might take a wander up during Easter, It'd probably be packed!
    I'm getting excited just thinking about it!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

PrivateEye wrote: »
    1)Car
    2)Newry
    3)Into Primark
    4)Stock Up
    Eh, can we all come too? :pac:
    LOVE Penneys- an online shop would be great. They had lovely different coloured T-shirts last week for €2 each in scoop neck and v neck. I bought LOADS for a combination of summer holiday, lazing about if we get any warm weather and wearing under jumpers/cardis/work-clothes.

Bless you Penneys. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭thecountessp

Online would be awesome, as the Penneys in Galway don't get half the stock you see featured in fashion editorials though. Dublin branches are a little better, but I can't help feeling all the really good stuff stays in London!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

That's like having a €2 store online lol. I never got the appeal of Pennys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭ Dariel Weak Width

Pennys is cheap but did you ever wonder why. It's because most of their clothes there were made in a sweat shop using child slave workers

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Pennys is cheap but did you ever wonder why. It's because most of their clothes there were made in a sweat shop using child slave workers

So are most the other clothes you pay twice/three times as much for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭ Dariel Weak Width

jenizzle wrote: »
    So are most the other clothes you pay twice/three times as much for.

Do you mean the ones that last twice/three times longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

im always seeing my sister in cute tops, especially holiday type ones, and asking her where she got them - penneys! why do i never see these tops..? :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Well that makes the child slave labour alright then :rolleyes:

I was just saying that expensive items are also made in that way, it's just that Penneys sell it cheaper than other brand names.

Anywho, tis a great shop, especially for the accessories and tights n'things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭orlaithd

lovertits wrote: »
    I can't help feeling all the really good stuff stays in London!

Penneys head offices- including the buying Depts are based in Penneys Mary Street in Dublin. This is their flagship store. It gets most/all lines of stock.
    My friend used to work there- big new line deliveries normally come in Friday nights/Sat Morning for the shop floor on Saturdays. So first thing saturday is normally best for getting the good stuff.
    No need to head to London! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

iv a denim mini skirt from penneys that i got nearly 4 years ago,wore it last week.ditto a couple of tops and shoes.theyv out lasted several more expensive topshop bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

orlaithd wrote: »
    No need to head to London! :)
    Mary Street Penneys is rubbish compared to the Oxford Street Primark. I've been to the ones in Liverpool and Newry as well and they have way better stuff imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

orlaithd wrote: »
    Penneys head offices- including the buying Depts are based in Penneys Mary Street in Dublin. This is their flagship store. It gets most/all lines of stock.
    My friend used to work there- big new line deliveries normally come in Friday nights/Sat Morning for the shop floor on Saturdays. So first thing saturday is normally best for getting the good stuff.
    :)

Hmm.... Gonna have to remember that one!
    sar84 wrote: »
    im always seeing my sister in cute tops, especially holiday type ones, and asking her where she got them - penneys! why do i never see these tops..? :(

AGREED! Always see people in college in pretty little pieces... NEVER find em! Maybe some people are just 'better shoppers'!

I've seen numerous bits in Penneys that have been in other shops (won't name the shops). I think though that material is cheaply sourced and produced next to nothing. Not necessarily by slaves.... But I don't know for sure!
    If you go on ebay, asian shops on it sell clothing for next to nothing as they are so cheap to put together, mark up in shops here are crazy!
    lovertits wrote: »
    Online would be awesome, as the Penneys in Galway don't get half the stock you see featured in fashion editorials though. Dublin branches are a little better, but I can't help feeling all the really good stuff stays in London!

I live in Galway. Got REALLY excited about the 'new' (re-modelled) Penneys, think all the best was coming our way, but no cigar. Same old same old, shoes are gone down hill! :(

An article recently in Sunday papers showed really pretty summer dresses.... Heres hoping they make it to G-Way!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

the only decent penneys is in dublin but then it's still nothing compared to some in the UK. I usually miss out on the good stuff too. not shoes though cos I'm a size 7 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭miss.lost

the only decent penneys is in dublin but then it's still nothing compared to some in the UK. I usually miss out on the good stuff too. not shoes though cos I'm a size 7 :p

I agree, im in uni out here near newcastle, Primark out here is unbelieveable! They seem to get new stock every second day and you can nearly always see the full range of sizes available. I got a top today that was almost identical to one which i had seen in All Saints and fell in love with! Penneys £6 to All saints £120, made my flippin week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

I love love love Penneys!!! I practically live there! my friends are always asking me where i find my lovely clothes and when I say Penneys there always amazed, the say they can never find anything in there which I cant understand! maybe u have to have an eye for it. Penneys in Cork City & Wilton are great! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 mam1

Check out pennys n Swords in Pavilions centre great range I never use to shop there but I find it great asisstants really helpful too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

Phasers- the Newry store is rubbish, I'm a dub who lived in Newry for a year- they didn't have the best stock and the store was a kip. The Bank Buildings in Belfast was like Mary St and had all the new ranges. I used to be a Department Manager in Mary St store, twas great getting the picks off the deliveries, get the staff to get samples of the new lines just in then get them to fish out my size and put it away under the tills.....was bliss!

I recently relocated to south-west London and the local branch was ok but they opened a huge one last week in my area to replace the old one- it's like Swords and the stock is pretty good. Got a pair of hot pink shorts for £3!

I don't think Penneys/Primark would work as an online store because the stock is so cheap, setting up a special distribution/warehouse for online would cost a lot and having it staffed as well as so many people would use it. It's a good idea but wouldn't be economical to the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 mam1

Just in from Penneys Swords all new stock in today got 5 really great tops for my hols for under 50 euro sure you just cant beat that and they had loads of sizes in too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 southerngirl

Yeah that would be great, you cant beat penneys - they've some real funky summer stuff and so what if they dont last very long, there cheap as chips and fashion is changing all the time anyway - i'm always going off stuff I buy after a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I find Penneys quality as good as or actually better than Topshop. Had one particular t-shirt from Penneys for 7 years, and wore it regularly. Also got some winter woolies there this year and they are washing and wearing very well so far. Have often bought more expensive stuff that didn't last the distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭rockchik

I love penneys!!!an online penneys would be brilliant!!although id prob spend all day in work buying stuff online!!:p i love when you get a good bargain though, i bout jackets in penneys last year, one was for 15 euro and the exact same jacket was in a-wear for over 50 euro....no difference only the tag!!the year before i got a winter coat in penneys for 20 euro and the my friend paid over 100 euro for the exact same one in River Island!!we put them next to each other and could not find one difference!!!

Go penneys!!! im always buying things there and the girls in work are always asking me where i bought my tops or shoes or whatever and they are shocked when i say penneys!!you can be lucky some days but i always seem to find the good stuff!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

The Pennys in Cork is excellent. I think though you need to have a really good eye for clothes which I don't :(. I see a friend of mine pick up a top that I walk past and they team it up with something else and it looks like a million dollars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Lively-Blonde

yeah the trick for shopping in penneys is being able to root for the good'uns...absolutely adore penneys constantly picking up lil bits and pieces there and I love shocking all my friends when they ask where I get things. Although my favourite store is Mary st (never had the luxury of popping off to London or Newry ha), but I've found the best time to hit is early morning everywhere is so neat and tidy and all stocked up!...I know there was a thread on here awhile back for our cheap as chips beauty secrets but penneys is my cheap as chips fashion secrets ha..:p

lik where else would u get a full outfit for 20 yo-yos???:D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭stuartfanning

Actually the largest Primark (Penneys) stores are in Manchester, Bristol and Liverpool in that order. The Oxford Street London store is only 4th largest. I've just been to the Bristol one. Incredible! It was like finding the Holy Grail to my daughters.

http://www.retail-week.com/stores/stores-gallery/top-primarks-the-new-primark-in-bristol/5005752.article

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I love LOVE LOVEE pennys!!

Grafton street and Oxford street London are ok but Mary street, Glasgow, Newcastle, and Manchester rock my world!

Nearly everything I own is from pennys from cute underwear sets to cute flaired jeans! :)

When I was in Oxford street in London the lines were insane, and there were no sizes to pick from just a load of size 18s :mad: grrr!

I love the new layout of the Grafton street pennys! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I love LOVE LOVEE pennys!!

Grafton street and Oxford street London are ok but Mary street, Glasgow, Newcastle, and Manchester rock my world!

Nearly everything I own is from pennys from cute underwear sets to cute flaired jeans! :)

When I was in Oxford street in London the lines were insane, and there were no sizes to pick from just a load of size 18s :mad: grrr!

I love the new layout of the Grafton street pennys! :o
    There's a Penneys on Grafton St? :pac:

Also I HATE the new layout of the O'Connell St. one. Accessories and shoes should be on the lower ground floor damnit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

phasers wrote: »
    There's a Penneys on Grafton St? :pac:

Also I HATE the new layout of the O'Connell St. one. Accessories and shoes should be on the lower ground floor damnit!

Yeh its so annoying!!

I used to work in Penneys and we got a big talk about who makes the clothes and why they are so cheap. I'm sure they use cheap labour but so do most places. If they are to be believed its something to do with the uncomplicated designs and only buying the most popular sizes and something about middle men and buying power. I wasn't listening. just glad to be sitting down for a minute.

Primark shops in general seem to be better than penneys. the one in Derry has a great selection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I love Pennys too :D There's some great bargins and you'll always find something to buy, i always find myself buying the cute little t-shirts and cardys and i'd see the exact same thing in different shops.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement