Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Donegal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Bocban

Has anybody ever heard of a company called Cross Country Broadband. They claim to be able to provide the following to any rural location.

"Our one way satellite broadband package starts at €29.50 per month for our 256Kb.speed with our 512Kb. speed costing €42.50 .
    Our 1 Meg. and 2 meg. speeds retail at €65.00 and €95.00 respectively per month.
    Our hardware costs amount to €285 which is a once off payment and covers everything you need to receive our broadband package."

http://www.crosscountrybroadband.com/home.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Bocban wrote:
    Has anybody ever heard of a company called Cross Country Broadband. They claim to be able to provide the following to any rural location.

"Our one way satellite broadband package starts at €29.50 per month for our 256Kb.speed with our 512Kb. speed costing €42.50 .
    Our 1 Meg. and 2 meg. speeds retail at €65.00 and €95.00 respectively per month.
    Our hardware costs amount to €285 which is a once off payment and covers everything you need to receive our broadband package."

http://www.crosscountrybroadband.com/home.html

Seems a bit steep doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Have a look through this thread
    Could save you some money - prices aren't available yet but it shouldn't be too long

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

mind you barnesmore was out yesterday due to meteor cutting through the power cable putting up their new mast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Got hooked up to Eircom Broadband in Carrick a few weeks back great to have internet access at weekends now.

• Advertisement

Spoke to NWE today, they are hoping to have broadband access up and running by the end of the summer for the Castlefinn and surrounding areas....hmmmm.

Has anybody checked out the new 3 mobile broadband DataModem(E220) yet, is this a viable option or just more hype??
    http://www.three.ie/handsets_new/datacards_e220.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

seen the vodafone 3g card and seemed to work pretty well get a 3g connection over 2 miles from a 3g mast quick as well

Bocban wrote:
    Spoke to NWE today, they are hoping to have broadband access up and running by the end of the summer for the Castlefinn and surrounding areas....hmmmm.

What are NWE's contact details?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

deman wrote:
    What are NWE's contact details?
    NWE Wireless
    Unit 16
    Skeoge Ind Est.
    Derry
    N.I

Phone: +44 (0)2871 351999

Fax: +44 (0)2871 352123

www.nwewn.com

byte wrote:
    NWE Wireless
    Unit 16
    Skeoge Ind Est.
    Derry
    N.I

Phone: +44 (0)2871 351999

Fax: +44 (0)2871 352123

www.nwewn.com

Thanks

• Advertisement

Got this email reply from NWE at the start of June. Might be worth registering your interest if you live in this area, might speed things up if nothing else.

We are planning to build a base unit in Castlefinn to cover your area.We don't have a completion date as of yet but should be before the end of the summer if you would like to apply.
    Regards
    N W E

online@nwewn.com wrote:
    > This data was submitted via a web form at
    > http://www.cranfordss.net/nwe/register.php?area=Castlefin&service_type[/FONT][/FONT]

I got a reply from NWE in relation to my question of when a base station would be available to service the Castlefin/Crossroads area.

"we now have base stations @ Convoy (Mulnagarry Hill) & Binnion ( between St Johnston & Lifford) which may provide coverage to your area."

Does anybody actually know where Mulnagarry Hill is because it's not coming up anywhere in Google and what is the likelihood of having a line of sight to it from the Crossroads/KillyGordon area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Bocban wrote:
    I got a reply from NWE in relation to my question of when a base station would be available to service the Castlefin/Crossroads area.

"we now have base stations @ Convoy (Mulnagarry Hill) & Binnion ( between St Johnston & Lifford) which may provide coverage to your area."

Does anybody actually know where Mulnagarry Hill is because it's not coming up anywhere in Google and what is the likelihood of having a line of sight to it from the Crossroads/KillyGordon area?

May be referring to Mullaghagarry, better known as the Steeple near Kilross junction on the Stranorlar to Convoy road. There are a few hills between there and Killygordon but you should have a better view as you cross to the other side of the valley at the Crossroads.

Thread now moved to the Donegal forum

Spoke again to NWE and they have told me that a base is currently being constructed in the Killygordon area and should hopefully be finished within the next 4-5 weeks.

http://www.cranfordss.net/nwe/index.php

I have attached the pricelist for anybody that might be interested.

Though I was wondering if they are a bit pricey.

I think I read in one of these threads recently that Eircom were going to upgrade their Killygordon Exchange. Does anybody have any further details on this and what the prices might be like?

Can you recieve a broadband signal if you have a pair-gain on your telephone line?

I think I read the answer to my last question some time ago but trying to get this braodband is steadily making me lose my will to live and thus forget everything or is that just old age!!!

Why is Donegal always the last destination for anything worth having these days. I know we always blame the inhabitants of Kildare street for totally forgetting this fair county of ours but we just seem to lie down and take it from them.

Ok, rant over!!!!

byte

Yes, the Killygordon exchange is on the list to be upgraded soon, if not done so already (Mountcharles went live very recently). Eircom DSL charges start at €25 I think for 1mbit speed (at all costs, I think you should avoid the 20hour timed effort at €20).

It might be worth giving Eircom a ring on the matter?

If your line has a pair-gain, then you have no hope of DSL working unless you can persuade Eircom to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

just got 02 broadband. 3.6Mbps.. simple to set up. €15 per month 10Gb limit. no fone line needed. works very well:)

irish1967 wrote:
    just got 02 broadband. 3.6Mbps.. simple to set up. €15 per month 10Gb limit. no fone line needed. works very well:)
    Does the price not increase after a couple of months?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

yeah.. goes to €30 per month from 4th month on but i guess not having to pay line rental for a home fone kinda makes up for that. I was paying BT €24. for a v. slow anytime 180 package plus eircom a line rental fee.

A few quick questions.

Does anybody know exactly where the Eircom Exchange is in Killygordon as I want to measure the distance from my house, apparently it has been upgraded?

What is the maximum distance from the exchange before the broadband signal degrades?

Do you know how I can get Eircom to remove a pair-gain from my telephone line because I won't be able to receive a broadband signal otherwise as it doesn't seem like a "please remove my pair-gain" request is going to work somehow?

The broadband crusade marches on!!

• Advertisement

Bocban wrote:
    A few quick questions.

Does anybody know exactly where the Eircom Exchange is in Killygordon as I want to measure the distance from my house, apparently it has been upgraded?

What is the maximum distance from the exchange before the broadband signal degrades?

Do you know how I can get Eircom to remove a pair-gain from my telephone line because I won't be able to receive a broadband signal otherwise as it doesn't seem like a "please remove my pair-gain" request is going to work somehow?

The broadband crusade marches on!!
    The exchange is just beside the post office on the same side of the street - just before you reach the old railway bridge.

Max distance - I think its about 3km.

Pair-gain - I havent a clue

byte

Getting a pair-gain removed could be a problem. Firstly, ring eircom and request to have it removed so you can have broadband. If there is nobody else on the pole that your pairgain can be swapped with, you could be in bother.

Or there's the notion of requesting ISDN, which needs pairgain removed. When you notice dialup speeds noticebly better to suggest the pair gain is removed, cancell your ISDN install :)

Of course, again it comes down to the ability to have a full line from your pole. If it's not at all possible to remove pair gain, even ISDN install will be rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

its not just a case of how far you are from the exchange, but where you are on the line coming from the exchange, and the quality of the line

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Chrissy6x

awww please help am in owennagadragh the cross movin from ballybofey and i can not find any one helpful and the council are useless why did they stop internet at glenelly! sorry 4 draggin this up am moving in 2weeks and i think il go mad am really close to border as well!!

dave_brent wrote: »
    I can see the mast in strabane clearly from my gaff!! Would that mean I would be able to pick up their service!!

when i look out my velux windows i see 4 lights!!]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

Just a word of warning about nwewn- The customer service is the worst I've ever come across.

They're a long list of people waiting to get it installed (upwards of 3 months) they then ask you to pay for a full year upfront which will they claim will reduce the waiting time to about 4 weeks (after you've paid..and after 4 weeks your still left waiting)

They also like to lose any requests to cancel the service, tell you to cancel your direct debit...and then bill you 8 months later for a service you've not used.

On less nwewn bashing note...... Three have recently upgraded there service in Donegal, giving much better 3g coverage (20 euro a month, with a 15gb cap)

b0bsquish wrote: »
    Just a word of warning about nwewn- The customer service is the worst I've ever come across.

They're a long list of people waiting to get it installed (upwards of 3 months) they then ask you to pay for a full year upfront which will they claim will reduce the waiting time to about 4 weeks (after you've paid..and after 4 weeks your still left waiting)

They also like to lose any requests to cancel the service, tell you to cancel your direct debit...and then bill you 8 months later for a service you've not used.

On less nwewn bashing note...... Three have recently upgraded there service in Donegal, giving much better 3g coverage (20 euro a month, with a 15gb cap)

awwwww thank you! i will try that to seee sure worth a bash hahaha:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Sorry for digging up an old thread but just wondering about the best provider for Letterkenny these days.

I had my heart set on Smart but I now see they require a phone line. I assume a phone line is going to involve line rental, which will significantly increase the price per month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

danthefan wrote: »
    Sorry for digging up an old thread but just wondering about the best provider for Letterkenny these days.

I had my heart set on Smart but I now see they require a phone line. I assume a phone line is going to involve line rental, which will significantly increase the price per month?
    I just ordered with SMART. 40e a month for line rental, 10MB connection, 170GB download limit, free setup and modem. Seems to be the best price.

I can't speak for the broadband without a line as I can't use it for work. Plenty of people seem to use the 3 mobile tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

New 3 mobile mast just switched on in Edeninfagh near Glenties providing the community of the Glen of Glenties with mobile phone and broadband coverage for the first time ever. However, the mast is built within 300metres of the local primary school. Does this pose any treat to the pupils health?

Advertisement