Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harbour Hotel Radio show theme tune

• 06-11-2013 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondered if anyone knows a link or where to get the theme tune of the radio 1 soap Harbour Hotel that was broadcast in the 80's

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

AAAH it's now going round my head...I can hear the seagulls..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Maybe email RTÉ and they may be able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yup, it's not in the online archives. There are a couple of photos of the voice actors and writer but that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Yup, it's not in the online archives. There are a couple of photos of the voice actors and writer but that's it.

Same here- I've spent a good 20 mins on this too- bah, I thought everything that ever was, was on the interweb these days.

Yup, I even trawled YouTube :)
    My Mam used to listen to this every day it was on. During her teen years she worked in the Royal Marine Hotel in Dun Laoghaire and I think it reminded her of those days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Yeah perhaps i'll drop rte an email. I used to listen to it in my gran aunt's when i'd get a half day from school, and she'd cook a fantastic tasty dinner for me. For a woman in her late eighties at the time, that was some going.

Ahh they were great times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Memories of Missus Doyle and Shiny Shoes Bob Ellis! Yes tried to find it myself but no luck. I'd say an email to certain presenters may help. Ronan Collins comes to mind ;)

desbrook wrote: »
    Memories of Missus Doyle and Shiny Shoes Bob Ellis! Yes tried to find it myself but no luck. I'd say an email to certain presenters may help. Ronan Collins comes to mind ;)

fair play des, i might drop him a mail myself. by the way where was the harbour hotel supposed to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

lufties wrote: »
    fair play des, i might drop him a mail myself. by the way where was the harbour hotel supposed to be?

There was a character "Gabriel" with a strong Kerry accent as I remember ?

desbrook wrote: »
    There was a character "Gabriel" with a strong Kerry accent as I remember ?

cant really remember the program itself, only maybe some auld wan that used to be rabbiting on..I was only around 7 yrs old when it was broadcast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

It's not on my RTE's Greatest Themes LP.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    It's not on my RTE's Greatest Themes LP.

Interesting list of RTÉ recordings here. I don't see Harbour Hotel on it anywhere.

Bear in mind that the theme tune to the Gay Byrne radio show was not an RTÉ tune, it's actually 'Tico's Tune', by 'Manuel & the Music of the Mountains', and that could be true of Harbour Hotel too.

The Gay Byrne Radio Show music. Listen to it from 15 seconds in :)

Tico's Tune is great.

Here's my article on that RTE Themes LP. Might be of interest.

Click!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

the gay byrne radio theme... there's the sound of success right there.. If you heard that you'd successfully blagged your way out of going to school..

steveone wrote: »
    the gay byrne radio theme... there's the sound of success right there.. If you heard that you'd successfully blagged your way out of going to school..

Some great radio so it was- ja remember the slot where he'd call out requests for assistance from people who we're looking for a washing machine, or a 2nd hand b&w TV or a for people to donate money for a good cause- think it was called the GB fund

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Interesting list of RTÉ recordings here. I don't see Harbour Hotel on it anywhere.

R0[/Youtube]

My google searches led me to that too.:D

Right , As it's Christmas soon, I'll give 10 euro to charity-Focus Ireland- if anyone posts a link to Harbour Hotel theme tune- anyone feel like doing the same- we could raise a few bob and get a bit of publicity going- maybe RTE will release the tune onto their website when we reach a certain amount or by a certain date- Ronan Collins, are ya listening?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

steveone wrote: »

Yeah but you had to keep your head otherwise you get dropped in at lunchtime.

My google searches led me to that too.:D

Right , As it's Christmas soon, I'll give 10 euro to charity-Focus Ireland- if anyone posts a link to Harbour Hotel theme tune- anyone feel like doing the same- we could raise a few bob and get a bit of publicity going- maybe RTE will release the tune onto their website when we reach a certain amount or by a certain date- Ronan Collins, are ya listening?:D

I'd second that:D

Harbour Hotel ran from about 1978 to 1990. If you had an old RTE Guide from those years then you might get a clue as to who the theme composer is.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Harbour Hotel ran from about 1978 to 1990. If you had an old RTE Guide from those years then you might get a clue as to who the theme composer is.

yea, I emailed ronan collins on friday about it but he ignored the request:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

He may have intentionally ignored in case RTÉ bring Harbour Hotel back and dump Ronan :D

I've emailed RTÉ archives so lets see if they can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

He just played it a few mins ago so he didn't ignore your request, It's by someone called Trevor Duncan (?) but I didn't get the name of the tune.

He just played it a few mins ago so he didn't ignore your request, It's by someone called Trevor Duncan (?) but I didn't get the name of the tune.

haha did u record it? I missed it:(

Im not trevor duncan btw.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'd imagine the show will be on the website on the listen back feature?

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I'd imagine the show will be on the website on the listen back feature?

will keep an ear/eye out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

It's called Harvest Supper by Trevor Duncan.
    He mentioned it about 12.30, so roughly halfway through if you want to listen back on the RTE Player.

He played about a 30 second snippet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Harbour Hotel brings me right back - coming home for school for lunch, ham sangers on the table and a nice mug of tea. Ah them were the days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harvest-Supper/dp/B002HSRG5U

I won't be able to get it out of my head now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

It's on iTunes also, what a blast from the past. Thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭harr

brings back some good child hood memories that does...thanks to everyone who put the effort to source the piece of music.:D

Advertisement