Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tv star 1020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Bob Z wrote: »
    http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Saorview-RTE-digital-set-top-box.html

its not saorview approved. does that matter much?

Works OK with the Saorview channels but no digital text.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭AlarmBelle

is it any good?

you won't get digital text as it says, if that is important to you? Don't know any more sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

i suppose not but will there other features missing in the future? could it go out of date or not pick up new channels?

i suppose not but will there other features missing in the future? could it go out of date or not pick up new channels?

Should be OK for new channels but won't work with any future interactive services as they will use the same software as digital text.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭AlarmBelle

The Cush wrote: »
    Should be OK for new channels but won't work with any future interactive services as they will use the same software as digital text.
    is there any possibility it could be updated to have that software?

• Advertisement

AlarmBelle wrote: »
    is there any possibility it could be updated to have that software?

Don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭winston_1

Why not buy an approved model and have all the facilities and none of the worries?

because i am getting that one a bit cheaper from someone who doesnt need it

will the pricees drop much in a few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭winston_1

because i am getting that one a bit cheaper from someone who doesnt need it

A bit cheaper and a lot worse. Are you that short of money, an approved model costs around the same as a tank of petrol?

• Advertisement

its smaller too stuck for space but it only has one scart so i cant it up to a dvd recorderand a tv at the same time(my tv doesnt have hdmi)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭seanpjs93

I have the TV Star 1010, I got it for about €40 in a Supervalu store, it works great, high picture and sound quality. I only got it so I could record on a pvr, I do have a digital tv, but it wasn't capable of accepting a USB. Apart from not being able to the digital text services it's a good box.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭MartyM

is it any good?

Hi all, my father in-law was sold a TV Star T1020 from an installer/store in County Wicklow for €64. I really don't understand why installers are selling non approved STBs to an unsuspecting public.

Anyway, rant over.

Now that he has the box, I was wondering could he daisy chain it with a Sky+ box (non sub) and receive both Saorview and Free to Air satelite channels?

He has a relatively old Philips TV, no HDMI connection and only one Scart connection. I was thinking he might be able to run a Scart from the T1020 to the VCR Scart on the Sky box and then another Scart from the TV Scart on the Sky box to the TV?

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Yes, you can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭MartyM

jonnygee wrote: »
    Yes, you can do that.

Cheers, thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

However these are actually only minimal generic boxes that are no bargain.

It's unreasonable to call them "Good". They are just adequate and would never pass certification, being only basic.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

@ MartyM those Tvstars 1020 receivers are been sold in Tesco for only €39.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Depends on your needs.

Newer boxes will be out soon so not sure it's worth paying through the nose till then. For those who can get UK signals through an aerial Freeview HD is looking like a good choice (review boxes to see which ones work best for what you want)

Second hand Saorview approved boxes can be got for ~ €40 so no real savings getting a random grey-market MPEG4 box

USB tuner can be got for ~ €6 for watching on laptop/pc - most TV's these days will take VGA or HDMI input (DVI to HDMI adaptor's are v. cheap on Chinese sites) (USB is non-approved, and you'll need a newer computer to watch RTE2 HD because more picture needs to be decoded)

AFAIK We still don't know if any box will support saorview series link, because it isn't being transmitted yet.

Also it appears that the .ts files recorded on the vestel clones are 'watchable' on a PC (no menu yet) where as the files recorded on some generic MPEG4 receivers aren't (don't quote me on this - but check before you buy if it's important to you)

Depends on your needs.

Newer boxes will be out soon so not sure it's worth paying through the nose till then. For those who can get UK signals through an aerial Freeview HD is looking like a good choice (review boxes to see which ones work best for what you want)

Second hand Saorview approved boxes can be got for ~ €40 so no real savings getting a random grey-market MPEG4 box

USB tuner can be got for ~ €6 for watching on laptop/pc - most TV's these days will take VGA or HDMI input (DVI to HDMI adaptor's are v. cheap on Chinese sites) (USB is non-approved, and you'll need a newer computer to watch RTE2 HD because more picture needs to be decoded)

AFAIK We still don't know if any box will support saorview series link, because it isn't being transmitted yet.

Also it appears that the .ts files recorded on the vestel clones are 'watchable' on a PC (no menu yet) where as the files recorded on some generic MPEG4 receivers aren't (don't quote me on this - but check before you buy if it's important to you)

what one would you recommend?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

what one would you recommend?
    Depends on your needs.
    all the non-triax set boxes so far are vestel clones so esentially the same so much of a muchness

at this stage some of your family , friends , neighbours have boxes , call round, bring biscuits or sticky buns and see which you like

• Advertisement

all the non-triax set boxes so far are vestel clones so esentially the same so much of a muchness

at this stage some of your family , friends , neighbours have boxes , call round, bring biscuits or sticky buns and see which you like

i mean the usb tv tuner i havent a clue about them. are they any good?

i mean the usb tv tuner i havent a clue about them. are they any good?
    for €6 (including envelope & postage from China) what are you expecting ?

it works on a decent laptop,
    I've an old (2006) laptop that will show everything except RTE2
    you'll almost certainly have to cut the cable to connect it to a real aerial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Currently selling for €39 in Tesco.

T1020a.jpg

AVOID

It's a mugs game buying partially compatible un-certified boxes. Shame on Tesco selling this without a large warning.

Dunnes, Co-op and many others just as guilty.

This is a violation of consumer rights that there is no warning.

It also is NOT a PVR! It's a recording feature that needs suitable user supplied storage and is unreliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I bought one only last week (but I haven't plugged it in yet), but if its as bad as you say it is,
    then I will repackage it and get a full refund from Tesco asap!

PS: what exactly should the WARNING say?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Antenna

LordSutch wrote: »
    PS: what exactly should the WARNING say?

well the main issue for people is that since a few weeks ago they will not receive a teletext (Aertel) service from RTE, as these boxes only do the EBU/WST teletext - RTE had both teletext systems (EBU/WST and MHEG5) going on Saorview up until a few weeks ago, but are now only transmitting the (much-less used internationally) MHEG5 teletext which the vast majority of non-'Saorview approved' boxes cannot display

They will still receive teletext of non-RTE Irish channels (TG4 TV3 3e).

The lack of Aertel teletext may not be an issue if you:
    (a) have little/no interest in it anyway
    (b) Don't mind accessing it online instead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Antenna

Second hand Saorview approved boxes can be got for ~ €40 so no real savings getting a

Where have you seen "second hand Saorview approved boxes for ~ €40" for sale? If in small ads in newspapers they are likely not Saorview approved ... unless a make/model is advertised. Large retailers (not to mind second hand sellers) have in recent months described for example the 'tv star 1020' etc as a Saorview box.
    random grey-market MPEG4 box

Not sure if 'grey-market' is an approprite description for them?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_market
    This term would be valid for UK Freesat boxes sold in the Republic of Ireland but I don't think it is appropriate for non-Saorview MPEG4 terrestrial boxes?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html
    Under this Act the purchaser of goods has a number of rights - the main ones are

Goods must be of merchantable quality – goods should be of reasonable quality taking into account what they are meant to do, their durability and their price
    Goods must be fit for their purpose – they must do what they are reasonably expected to do
    Goods must be as described - the buyer must not be mislead into buying something by the description of goods or services given orally by a salesperson or an advertisement.

I think it's reasonable to expect such a box to see the teletext on more than 3 out of 8 channels if it says teletext anywhere on the box or the ad.

Saorview is not just an MPEG4 signal. It's also the EPG and the fancy teletext (and hopefully soon series link). Anything that can't do the extras is not a Saorview receiver nor should it be described as such. If the sales person or the ad or box says it can receiver saorview then misleading.

Had it been advertised as "MPEG4 receiver, limited compatibility with Saorview transmissions" then maybe.

When you go back to Tesco you may be lucky enough to see both the Laurus ~€80 and Technika boxes ~€49 in stock, then you can play spot the difference ;)

Had it said Recorder (via usb) that would be fine

In this part of the world PVR mean something like SKY+ or the UPC boxes that allow you to watch one channel while recording another. They are by far the oldest and most common PVR systems here so anything advertising it's self as more than a recorder would have to be up to scratch.

SKY, UPC, Approved Saorview boxes can record from the EPG, if the 1020 can't then it most definitely is not a PVR by any stretch of the imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

I have the TV Star 1020, sitting alongside my Humax Freesat+ HDR. I only tuned in the Irish channels and excluded the Freeview channels (my tv is a mpeg2 Freeview set), So, for me, it can record one Irish channel, while we watch a different one. It happily records onto a usb flash stick, and compliments the set up perfectly. No complaints from me. Does exactly what I need it to. Very well too.
    So regardless of the negative comments on here, it still does the business. As for the second MUX, well that's not a problem for me.

• Advertisement

It not that the box is useless or anything, but to the non-technical public it's being mis-sold and in many shops there is no Certified box available and I have seen NO retailer selling them honestly.

Advertisement