Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AI Intermediate Hurling Final 2012: Kilkenny vs Tipperary - Sep 1st @ 6pm, Thurles

• 31-08-2012 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭

Tipperary will play Kilkenny in the 2012 All Ireland Intermediate Hurling Championship Final on Saturday September 1st at 6pm in Semple Stadium, Thurles. The ref is James Owens (Wexford) and extra-time will be played if the match ends in a draw.

The match was originally scheduled to be played in Dr Cullen Park, Carlow but both Tipperary and Kilkenny felt that the venue would do nothing to attract a decent attendance. Both teams agreed to a toss of the coin which the Premier County won.

Kilkenny are taking part in the first of 3 All-Ireland finals in the 2012 season and will be hoping to win their 4th AI Intermediate hurling championship. They were runners-up to Clare last year and last won the Michael Cusack cup in 2010. The KK team consists of players from junior and intermediate club sides.

Tipp have won the AI Intermediate hurling championship 5 times overall, but their last appearance in the final was back in 2002, and they last won the competition back in 2000. Tipp's team is composed of players who are not on the senior panel.

KK team:

1. Richie O’Neill (Kilmacow); 2. Mark Phelan (Glenmore); 3. Alan Walsh (Mooncoin); 4. Jason Corcoran (John Lockes); 5. Brian Kennedy (St. Lachtains); 6. Bill Beckett (St. Lachtains); 7. Luke Harney (Kilmacow); 8. Joe Lyng (Rower Inistioge); 9. Paul Murphy (Blacks & Whites); 10. Niall Walsh (Slieverue); 11. Rory Hickey (Lisdowney); 12. Kevin Kelly (St. Patricks); 13. Robbie Walsh - Capt. (Danesfort); 14. John Joe Farrell (Thomastown); 15. Ger Aylward (Glenmore).

Subs: 16. James Maher (St. Lachtains); 17. Pat Hartley (Tullogher Rosbercon); 18. Michael Malone (Mullinavat); 19. Padraig Phelan (Emeralds); 20. Niall Doherty (Galmoy); 21. Jeff Brennan (St. Patricks); 22. Cathal Kenny (Barrow Rangers); 23. Niall Kennedy (Blacks & Whites); 24. Bill Staunton (St. Patricks).

Manager: Pat O’Grady. Trainer: Pat O’Neill. Selectors: P.J. Kenny, Tom Murphy.

Tipperary team:

1. James Logue (Ballingarry); 2. Gerry Walsh (Carrick Swan); 3. Kevin O’Gorman (Thurles Sarsfields); 4. Christy Coughlan (Templederry Kenyons); 5. James Barry (Upperchurch Drombane); 6. Eddie Connolly - Capt. (Loughmore Castleiney); 7. Ronan Sherlock (Silvermines); 8. Michael Gleeson (Thurles Sarsfields); 9. Paudie White (Clonoulty Rossmore); 10. Seán Carey (Moyle Rovers); 11. Damien O’Brien (Burgess); 12. Joe Gallagher (Kildangan); 13. Kieran Morris (Moycarkey-Borris); 14. Michael Heffernan (Nenagh Éire Óg); 15. David Butler (Drom and Inch).

Match commentary will be on KCLR and Tipp FM. Hogan Stand might have text updates/commentary.

Match betting: Tipp 4/7; KK 6/4; Draw 10/1.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I'm going to be lazy here and ask, how many of that KK team is U21? And how many are on the senior panel too. could there be a case of players winning 3 AI medals? I know there are a few U21's on the team anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I don't think anyone can be on the senior and intermediate panels. Probably a few U21 though. Awlyard for one.Kelly too I think

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Yeah you can't be on the Intermediate and Senior panels at the one time.

I count 5 players on both the Intermediate and U-21 panels: Brian Kennedy, Joe Lyng, Kevin Kelly, Ger Aylward, and Cathal Kenny.

And for completeness, I count 3 players on the Senior and U-21 panels: Richie Doyle, Cillian Buckley and Walter Walsh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah you can't be on the Intermediate and Senior panels at the one time.

I count 5 players on both the Intermediate and U-21 panels: Brian Kennedy, Joe Lyng, Kevin Kelly, Ger Aylward, and Cathal Kenny.

And for completeness, I count 2 players on the Senior and U-21 panels: Cillian Buckley and Walter Walsh.

Richie Doyle is on U-21 and Senior panels.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Richie Doyle is on U-21 and Senior panels.

I knew I would forget somebody :o:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think the rules for this is you can't be on another senior panel and you can't have played intercounty intermediate last year. Last years win for Clare was great although we did have some experienced players (Gilligan and Carmody) as well as some good up and coming players (Daire Keane), it's a great structure for players just on the fringe of things.

ah right. I thought I saw Wally Walsh playing Wexford, hence why I thought he might have been on all 3 panels, but now I dont see him on the intermediate, maybe I was wrong. But if not, wonder would he get 3 medals, 'IF' kilkenny were to win all 3. Might be others who have gone from intermediate panel to senior?

bruschi wrote: »
    ah right. I thought I saw Wally Walsh playing Wexford, hence why I thought he might have been on all 3 panels, but now I dont see him on the intermediate, maybe I was wrong. But if not, wonder would he get 3 medals, 'IF' kilkenny were to win all 3. Might be others who have gone from intermediate panel to senior?

You are spot on. Walter Walsh played full-forward against Wexford in the Leinster Intermediate final. But he was moved to the senior panel after that, and wasn't on the panel for the AI Intermediate semi-final against Galway.

You are spot on. Walter Walsh played full-forward against Wexford in the Leinster Intermediate final. But he was moved to the senior panel after that, and wasn't on the panel for the AI Intermediate semi-final against Galway.

well at least I'm not losing it anyway. Any chance of any other intermediate players getting bumped up to the senior panel now? Do they train as one unit or is it completely split? I'd have thought Ger Aylward would be a better option than Walsh to be honest, but I suppose I havent seen a lot of either of them for a while now, bar the U21 v Wexford and Galway.

Tipp hammered KK in the 1st half, with the half-time score 3-09 to 0-06.
    The 2nd half has just started at it's 3-09 to 0-07.

• Advertisement

It's now Tipp 3-09 - KK 1-13! :eek:
    Tipp haven't scored in the 2nd half yet. They haven't turned up for the 2nd half at all according to the radio commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

It's now Tipp 3-09 - KK 1-13! :eek:
    Tipp haven't scored in the 2nd half yet. They haven't turned up for the 2nd half at all according to the radio commentary.
    Not another repeat of the no show that happened to the Tipp seniors 2 weeks ago against the Cats!!

Tipp 3-11 KK 1-16, 51 minutes gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

Come on Tipp!

FT: Tipp 3-13 ; KK 1-17.
    A game of two halves to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Strong Breeze played big part today...

I have a fair few more greys and wrinkles after that one i have to say :) The line came just in time. Wind was a big factor but fair deuce to Kilkenny for their attitude. Any other team would have dropped the head but not them. Tipp hurled some great stuff in the first half but didnt contest as id have liked in the second. I really thought we were going to collapse but thank god we didnt.

They made a complete b*llocks of the tickets up in Thurles also it must be said. One stand open? :confused: No need for tickets imo. Stupid carry on.

Fair play to Dastardly for opening a thread on the game also. Type of game could easily slip under the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭randd1

I have a fair few more greys and wrinkles after that one i have to say :) The line came just in time. Wind was a big factor but fair deuce to Kilkenny for their attitude. Any other team would have dropped the head but not them. Tipp hurled some great stuff in the first half but didnt contest as id have liked in the second. I really thought we were going to collapse but thank god we didnt.

They made a complete b*llocks of the tickets up in Thurles also it must be said. One stand open? :confused: No need for tickets imo. Stupid carry on.

Spot on with the post.

I will say I thought the Kilkenny team that finished the game was a lot stronger than the one that started the match and had they started with Hartley and Brennan could have won it.

But in the end Tipp just about deserved the match, they took their goals brilliantly as well when they had the chance, very ruthless.

The ticket scenario was a complete f**king joke. I was there 15 minutes before throw in and didn't get in to the match until 5 minutes into the game, this ticket system is a complete farce and hasn't worked at any of the matches its been in operation this year and should be scrapped. Also the programmes were sold out by the time most people got into the stadium.

Thank God the quality of the hurling on display was brilliant and a credit to both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Sir Graball

Great game by all accounts! Am I right in saying it got zero coverage on RTE? :mad:
    TG4 might do highlights!

• Advertisement
Advertisement