Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post here if you need assistance filling out the grant form!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭stephen090

I've applied, kinda in vain for a student grant , awarded through the Donegal County Council. Is it too late for a start? Is it soley income based on your parents- if you're dependent on them? My parents are retired recently.. Dad was an unskilled council worker and never gained much of a proper pension.. Mum was a secondary teacher and has a standard teachers pension.

They've a small property they bought when times were good and rent out now.. realistically the mortgage is probably more than the rent coming in per month.. although you can't exactly get that across on the form..(only the supposed 'income' being provided by the monthly rent). They've put 3 children through college already and one more to go after me - and theres no real way of getting that across either.. I'll be working voluntary on placement this year full time..so i'll have no real income- although you cant say that on the form either really..

Is there anything I can do at this stage? Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

stephen090 wrote: »
    I've applied, kinda in vain for a student grant , awarded through the Donegal County Council. Is it too late for a start? Is it soley income based on your parents- if you're dependent on them? My parents are retired recently.. Dad was an unskilled council worker and never gained much of a proper pension.. Mum was a secondary teacher and has a standard teachers pension.

They've a small property they bought when times were good and rent out now.. realistically the mortgage is probably more than the rent coming in per month.. although you can't exactly get that across on the form..(only the supposed 'income' being provided by the monthly rent). They've put 3 children through college already and one more to go after me - and theres no real way of getting that across either.. I'll be working voluntary on placement this year full time..so i'll have no real income- although you cant say that on the form either really..

First of all they count income for 2010 but if you think there's been a change and your income has decreased, for instance maybe with your dads pension, you can let them know and they'll take that into account.

It's not too late by the way.

They count other children in college and school.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭MeganM

How long does it usually take after applying for the grant to get a letter confirming that you got it/didn't get it? (assuming everything was fine with the application), I need to show a copy of the letter to my college by the end on the month so I won't have to pay the registration fees. I applied on the 19th of August, which wasn't too long ago in fairness but I'm curious to know how long it usually took for other people :D

MeganM wrote: »
    How long does it usually take after applying for the grant to get a letter confirming that you got it/didn't get it? (assuming everything was fine with the application), I need to show a copy of the letter to my college by the end on the month so I won't have to pay the registration fees. I applied on the 19th of August, which wasn't too long ago in fairness but I'm curious to know how long it usually took for other people :D

It varies from every co council. Depends on where you applied really some are quick others very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭MeganM

augusta24 wrote: »
    It varies from every co council. Depends on where you applied really some are quick others very slow.

I'm from Clare, which I would hope to be rather quick in processing applications, compared to the likes of Cork or Dublin. I'll give the County Council a ring in the morning and see what's happening :)

• Advertisement

MeganM wrote: »
    augusta24 wrote: »

I'm from Clare, which I would hope to be rather quick in processing applications, compared to the likes of Cork or Dublin. I'll give the County Council a ring in the morning and see what's happening :)

That's probably best and maybe you could post here to let us know what they say as it might be helpful for other Clare boardies.
    I'd imagine the country ones would be quicker than say cork or dub city but you can't be sure either!
    Aparantly Wexford are in the middle of moving offices which are slowing them down, although they're usually quite quick every other year!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Posada

stephen090 wrote: »

Put in a personal letter with your application explaining the circumstances that you just posted on here. It would be much harder to deny an application if they know your story and everything else fits.

Remember the people in County Councils and VECs want to help everyone get to college if possible. They are not bad guys: just people doing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭stephen090

Posada wrote: »
    Put in a personal letter with your application explaining the circumstances that you just posted on here. It would be much harder to deny an application if they know your story and everything else fits.

Remember the people in County Councils and VECs want to help everyone get to college if possible. They are not bad guys: just people doing their job.

Cheers Good idea!
    Do you or anyone else for that matter know much about the Course acceptance form? Im studying in the UK and it's asking me to attach in the post " a copy of the college/institution offer" for my course.. I dont remember really getting any 'offer' as such except the UCAS online application system.. How can i prove this otherwise? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Cardor

Hey, I sent of my FA1 form with my CAO offer 2 weeks ago.. but today my friend said I needed to get the form stamped by the college.. which I didn't do.. but It didn't say that I had to get it stamped on the form.. did anyone else get it stamped?

I hope this doesn't hold up my application.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ironpool24

Hi All,

Sorry to hijack this forum but have a urgent question - I have been in receipt of the grant for previous three years of my postgrad and now have got a form to re-apply. I am applying as a dependent student, even tho I have been living away from home since I started it. Unfortuntely, my name is not on any bills to act as proof for this. So, do I include my research scholarship of 16,000 in my Income section (along with my parents). Or is this exempt?

Thanks,

Really confused

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 F8492

Cardor wrote: »
    Hey, I sent of my FA1 form with my CAO offer 2 weeks ago.. but today my friend said I needed to get the form stamped by the college.. which I didn't do.. but It didn't say that I had to get it stamped on the form.. did anyone else get it stamped?

I hope this doesn't hold up my application.. :(

I didnt get this form stamped by my college either before i sent it off? :/ it didnt say anywhere to get it stamped so it cant be true that you had to :/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

ironpool24 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Sorry to hijack this forum but have a urgent question - I have been in receipt of the grant for previous three years of my postgrad and now have got a form to re-apply. I am applying as a dependent student, even tho I have been living away from home since I started it. Unfortuntely, my name is not on any bills to act as proof for this. So, do I include my research scholarship of 16,000 in my Income section (along with my parents). Or is this exempt?

Thanks,

Really confused

You still count as dependant, even though live away from home, as you were dependant when you started the course.

Your research scholarship/stipend goes in a section regarding scholarships and other income.

While this is tax exempt, you must still note it on the grant form.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ironpool24

Great thanks for the info! Hopefully will still get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 breadhead

Just wondering how I possibly update the information I have sent in?
    Yesterday I received news that I will get funding to work while studying and think this should be included in my application. It was sent in just a week ago but I have yet to return to declaration and the course acceptance form.

Whats the best way to inform them of this- will I make a note with the declaration and acceptance form or can something be done online?

Many thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

Ugh ive just had the hassle of sorting out my btea form. I then realise im eligible for VEC to cover fees.

I applied online but now i have to submit stuff that im clueless about

proof of been resident in the country 3/5 years
    independent living
    proof of old courses i done
    proof of nationality

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

breadhead wrote: »
    Just wondering how I possibly update the information I have sent in?
    Yesterday I received news that I will get funding to work while studying and think this should be included in my application. It was sent in just a week ago but I have yet to return to declaration and the course acceptance form.

Whats the best way to inform them of this- will I make a note with the declaration and acceptance form or can something be done online?

Many thanks:)

Back to the old fashioned letter writing, and submit a letter from college/employer stating how much you will earn.

tipp1986 wrote: »
    Ugh ive just had the hassle of sorting out my btea form. I then realise im eligible for VEC to cover fees.

independent living
    proof of nationality

Bills for residency and independant living. (proof of your parents' address may be necessary in the form of a bill if the VEC ask).

Proof of courses - results or transcripts. If you can't find them, your old college will print them and send them to you for a fee.

Proof of nationality - a verified copy of passport (ie photocopy stamped by a garda to prove it's the same as the original) or original birthcert (they post this back)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

Tree wrote: »
    Bills for residency and independant living. (proof of your parents' address may be necessary in the form of a bill if the VEC ask).

Proof of courses - results or transcripts. If you can't find them, your old college will print them and send them to you for a fee.

Proof of nationality - a verified copy of passport (ie photocopy stamped by a garda to prove it's the same as the original) or original birthcert (they post this back)

I live in my grandmothers house my parents address is the exact same that wont half be confusing the issue i have no bills as such im 25 if this makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

Tree wrote: »

Strangely enough, I read the guidelines which said utility bills would be fine and included esb bills going back over five years, only to get my application sent back to me. I went into the council offices to ask why and was told utility bills don't prove anything, that you need p60s and the like.

I returned again with the new info and asked again why the guidelines said utility bills were ok and I'd been told they weren't good enough, only this time to be told that they are actually fine !
    I then paged to the back of my application and showed the bills that I had included, and they then said, oh, you'd need every esb bill from the past five years. They're just making this crap up on the spot basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Strangely enough, I read the guidelines which said utility bills would be fine and included esb bills going back over five years, only to get my application sent back to me. I went into the council offices to ask why and was told utility bills don't prove anything, that you need p60s and the like.

I returned again with the new info and asked again why the guidelines said utility bills were ok and I'd been told they weren't good enough, only this time to be told that they are actually fine !
    I then paged to the back of my application and showed the bills that I had included, and they then said, oh, you'd need every esb bill from the past five years. They're just making this crap up on the spot basically.

Absolute rubbish - ask for them a copy of the rules stating you need every bill

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Recently applied after getting a letter of reassement. They asked me to get a letter from my employer stating what wages I was given during summer, easter and christmas holidays.

Do I just ask my employer to write what my specific wage was for the weeks of summer, 2 weeks of easter and 3 of christmas? Seems odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

tipp1986 wrote: »

independent living
    proof of nationality

Pages 41-44
    http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/Student%20Grant%20Scheme%202011.pdf

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Ebbs wrote: »
    Recently applied after getting a letter of reassement. They asked me to get a letter from my employer stating what wages I was given during summer, easter and christmas holidays.

Do I just ask my employer to write what my specific wage was for the weeks of summer, 2 weeks of easter and 3 of christmas? Seems odd.

EXACTLY, get a letter stating this. Wages you earn during term time are reckonable income, wages you earn during holidays arent. So they need a letter that confirms how much you earned at this time, and then they can subtract it when they get around to dealing with your application.

If your place of employment is used to students, then the HR person will be used preparing such letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭missmaw

Emailed Clare Co Co today re grant application. Got emai back (YAY) saying they had wrote to me today looking for 2 p60s off me. Now I am going based on my own and my parents income. My dad is self employed so wouldn't need his and I sent my one for both me and my Mam for 2010
    What I am thinking is that i had two other jobs which I finished in August but they wouldn't have P60. As far as I am aware you only get a p60 for employment that you are in at the end of December of the year (2010). Am I wrong in thinking this?

Also she asked for details of summer work? I was on Jobseekers for the summer and did 2 weeks of temp work. Would I need letters from Social Protection and from this job?

Thanks
    Was also thinking maybe they want them as proof as living in Ireland the last 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Hello people, just wondering is disability allowance of a parent included in the reckonable income of an applicant for a 3rd level grant?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Sparkie93

Dan133269 wrote: »
    Hello people, just wondering is disability allowance of a parent included in the reckonable income of an applicant for a 3rd level grant?

Thanks in advance.

yes its counted i had to get letter from social welfare stating how much we got in 2010,
    if you go on to their website you can request a statement and i got it in a few days :)

missmaw wrote: »
    Emailed Clare Co Co today re grant application. Got emai back (YAY) saying they had wrote to me today looking for 2 p60s off me. Now I am going based on my own and my parents income. My dad is self employed so wouldn't need his and I sent my one for both me and my Mam for 2010
    What I am thinking is that i had two other jobs which I finished in August but they wouldn't have P60. As far as I am aware you only get a p60 for employment that you are in at the end of December of the year (2010). Am I wrong in thinking this?

Also she asked for details of summer work? I was on Jobseekers for the summer and did 2 weeks of temp work. Would I need letters from Social Protection and from this job?

Thanks
    Was also thinking maybe they want them as proof as living in Ireland the last 3 years.

Get a P21 for the year 2010. Should work out, it's a balancing statement saying how much you earned in each job and how much tax you've payed. You can request them for the last four years if you need. P60s are only given if at the end of the eyear if you are still employed by the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

just a quick query, when the HEA grant guidelines state 'Net of Qualified child increases and standard exclusions' what exactly does this mean? I know its net of your income tax, but does anyone know what else they give you allowances for? I can't seem to find the exact details on the student finance site, nor on the citizens information site....anyone? Thanks if you can answer. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 learnado99

hey guys. im starting a psychology course in Dublin business school in September and have been informed about student grant.i really don't have a clue about it.the course is approx 5200 does anyone know if its possible to get even 80 per cent of the fee i understand it depends on personal circumstances but i have no idea what to expect and if i get half the fee for instance then what do i do then? thanks in advance if anyone can help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 BD28

Can somebody tell me what is the difference between the two income tables for grants on the Citizens advice website. The first one is almost self explanatory and our income is marginally over the limit but then the second table refers to 50% tuition fees and 100% student contribution and our income would fall into this categegory. Can anyone explain in plain English what the difference is and would we qualify for any sort of help under the second one. We are West of Ireland and she would be going to study in Dublin

Advertisement