Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Poetry question predictions 2011

• 14-05-2011 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Since there is a thread discussing which poets will come up on paper 2 here, Perhaps we should have a thread on which questions might come up for each poet.

So, here is a list of the questions that have come up (as well as some sample questions) for the poets I'm doing- What kind of questions could you see being asked on these or any other poets? Add anything that a teacher might have mentioned or given you to answer, or questions that come up on the other mocks if you can.

Robert Frost
    “I’m not a nature poet. There’s always something more in my poems.” Do you agree with this assessment? Write a response supporting your points… (2011 DEB pre)

“Robert Frost, a poet of sadness” write an introduction to the poetry of Frost addressing both his themes and the impact of his poetry on you as a reader (2007)

“We enjoy poetry for its ideas and language” Using the above as a title, write an essay on Robert Frost (2003)

Frost is one of America’s most popular poets. What in your view, is the appeal of his poetry? (Edco Sample B)

Eavan Boland
    “Eavan Boland said she wanted her poetry to deal with themes that were ‘parts of her world’ ”, Write a response in light of this statement… (2011 DEB pre)

“The appeal of Eavan Boland’s poetry” Using the above title, write an essay outlining what you consider to be the appeal of Boland’s poetry. (2005)

Write a personal response to the poetry of Eavan Boland (2002)

“Introducing the poetry of Eavan Boland” Write the text of a talk you would give to your fellow students on the poetry of Boland addressing themes and use of language (Edco Sample A)

William Wordsworth
    Write the text of a talk you would give to a group of students on the lasting appeal of Wordsworth’s poetry, fovusing on both themes and the way he expresses them… (2011 DEB pre)

“In Wordsworth’s poetry there si a vivid evocation of the natural world and the mind of the poet” Do you agree? (Edco Sample A)

“In his poetry, Wordsworth demonstrates a deep sympathy for nature in simple, descriptive language” Discuss Wordsworth’s poetry in light of this statement (Edco Sample C)

Emily Dickinson
    “In her poems Emily Dickinson explores the full range of emotions from elation to deep despair” write a response to this statement with reference to both style and subject matter… (2011 DEB pre)

What impact did the poetry of Dickinson make on you as a reader? Answer should deal with overall sense of personality of the poet and poet’s use of language/imagery. (2005)

“Emily Dickinson’s poems are an intense personal account of her celebrations and despairs.” Discuss this view of the poetry of Dickinson (DES Sample)

“Emily Dickinson explores the extreme states of mind in a style that is so strikingly eccentric” Do you agree with this view? (Edco Sample A)

“Emily Dickinson explores old themes in language that seems fresh and new” Discuss. (Edco Sample C)

Gerard Manley Hopkins
    “There are many reasons why the poetry of GM Hopkins appeals to his readers” In response to this, write an essay on why Hopkins’ poetry is appealing (2004)

“Hopkins’ poetry expresses joy and despair in a distinctive poetic voice” Discus this statement (Edco Sample B)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I'd be careful hoping for the general questions asked pre 2008. It's alot more likely to be a more specific question as shown by recent papers.

Just seeing that 2011 mock question on Dickinson, that'd make me so happy to see on the day. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

True, but I'd gone through the papers and found them all so I thought I'd post them anyway. I think if you can answer these questions, you should be prepared for any question even if it's more specific, with the possible exception of Boland. The rest seem fairly straightforward and general now that I look at them, so maybe there wasn't as much of a need for me to post this after all... oh well :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I wouldn't rely on mock papers giving predictions, they're companies independant from the SEC just out to make money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

Companies who make the mocks try to follow trends and do their best to get as close to the real thing as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

My own personal prediction is that if Boland does come up her question will be specific and not in standard "Essay" format. I'm predicting it will either be a letter, speech or article about Boland's poetry just to make it a bit more difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

My own personal prediction is that if Boland does come up her question will be specific and not in standard "Essay" format. I'm predicting it will either be a letter, speech or article about Boland's poetry just to make it a bit more difficult.

I was thinking along the lines of a question based on mythical allusion too, to make it more challenging and to stop people from plonking down learned off, response-like spiels.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Hi everyone, just to let ye know, I'm running a poll on which poets will come up on http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056282021 . . .if anyone thinks they've cracked the code for this year, or just wants to vote for who they really think will come up, your votes will be really useful. . .Thanks!smile.gif

Advertisement