Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Character reference

• 06-08-2013 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Who do people usually assign as a character reference? I only ever need to include this for VEC positions for some reason.

I've just been sent an application form which asks for the details of two character referees (aside from the two school related referees) and also requires that I send a written reference from one of these character referees. It needs to have been written within the last twelve months. This reference must be from 'a person of senior social standing e.g. Garda, Clargyman, Minister.' I do not know anyone of 'senior social standing'. I do, however, have excellent references from school principals who came to know my character. Is that not enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I have an undergrad lecturer as a character/academic reference. If you've got spare school references, I would think use two of them as character references too, surely principals are people of senior standing too:) Otherwise a lecturer?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I have an undergrad lecturer as a character/academic reference. If you've got spare school references, I would think use two of them as character references too, surely principals are people of senior standing too:) Otherwise a lecturer?

Yeah, it's just I finished my degree in 2006. I've got four school references. I'll just fire them off, I suppose. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

How ridiculous to think that gardai, clergymen or ministers are of senior social standing. What a load of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

How ridiculous to think that gardai, clergymen or ministers are of senior social standing. What a load of nonsense.
    Why is that ridiculous?

RealJohn wrote: »
    Why is that ridiculous?

Because your profession does not confer senior social standing. At least not in this century.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭2011abc

Oh Id disagree there !You dont think a solicitor has more (percieved?) 'social standing' than a checkout assistant in Ireland ?

No I don't. And I think any employer relying on non-work related character references given by strangers on the strength of their perceived social standing would be immensely foolish. Surely recent scandals have taught us that no professions deserve to be put on a pedestal.

As an employer myself I would put no more faith in a reference from Fr Murphy or Seargent Daly than one from the local shopkeeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Because your profession does not confer senior social standing. At least not in this century.

It can also be a Community Activist eg Chair or Manager of a local community group etc, Councillor etc, really it just means 'upstanding'.

I consider most people I know to be upstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Systemic Risk

It can also be a Community Activist eg Chair or Manager of a local community group etc, Councillor etc, really it just means 'upstanding'.

And yet again how does anyone know who is upstanding. Look at Lance Armstrong, head of a the Livestrong foundation and a cheat, liar and bully. There are many examples of Gardai and clergymen not behaving in an upstanding way. Think of the corruption that was uncovered in Donegal. How many solicitors have been struck off for fraud? I would have hoped we have moved on as a society from showing reverence to certain professions.

Other than work references these character statements are ridiculous and outdated. I assume as the OP has said that they are only used in VECs because I have never been asked for one. However I am only teaching and lecturing on a casual basis and have no contract so I don't know if they do ask in Universities.

• Advertisement
Advertisement