Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter

• 08-03-2012 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭

Breath_of_Fire_-_Dragon_Quarter_Coverart.png

Hi guys,

Having a bit of nostalgia today and I remembered one of my oldest and favorite RPG games back in the day.

A quick search on boards didn't lead me to any threads and if this is in the wrong one let me know. Anyway, I didn't make this thread to actually discuss the game but I guess you can if you want to!

I was just wondering is there any way to obtain this game on PC? I don't live at home anymore and I don't want to dish out on a PS2 atm unless I get my second visa or else it's just a waste of money. So, yeah, is there? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭megaten

You could try using Pcsx2 to emulate it. I think you can just pop the disc into your pc if it's the games compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Don't have a disc either :X

Tried googling it. Don't think I can :(

Your out of luck then. Very interesting game though. great soundtrack too. I loved the dragon form was basically a win button but had drastic repercussions for using it.

No worries, thanks anyway.

Guess I wasn't the only one full of nostalgia then : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭lasersquad

Sod nostalgia :) This game can stand its ground from now to, let`s say, the end of time thanks to it`s superior combat engine. And the mood. And music.

I got it only recently but actually stopped playing few hours in - it`s simply too good, gotta save it for later, because hardly anything of this quality is being released anymore.

If you`re determined: delivered from Amazon ~ 6-10E, then Pcsx2 it (though you need a solid PC and there most likely be glitches) or get a used PS2 for ~ 20E.

• Advertisement

Never heard of that PCsx thing so probably don't want to dabble in it too much. Will just have to wait until I get back to Ireland to play this bad boy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Is this the game where you have a counter that is constantly increasing (and increases at a faster rate as you use your abilities)? And when it gets to 100% the game ends?

I really hated that mechanic. It stressed me out while playing the game and it really affected the combat as you had to avoid using lots of your abilities to try to keep the counter down.

It's quite possible I misunderstood or misremember how it was supposed to work, but to essentially put a time limit on a game is something I didn't care for.

Newaglish wrote: »
    Is this the game where you have a counter that is constantly increasing (and increases at a faster rate as you use your abilities)? And when it gets to 100% the game ends?

I really hated that mechanic. It stressed me out while playing the game and it really affected the combat as you had to avoid using lots of your abilities to try to keep the counter down.

It's quite possible I misunderstood or misremember how it was supposed to work, but to essentially put a time limit on a game is something I didn't care for.

That's exactly how it was. Of course it's only an 8 hour game but the mechanic ties everything together for the game. The dragon power is meant as a last resort.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Also there's the fact that unless you die and restart the game multiple times you won't get the full story. It's an interesting mechanic, just a shame that a lot of people felt they needed to beat the game on their first go and never actually understood how it was meant to be be played.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Also there's the fact that unless you die and restart the game multiple times you won't get the full story. It's an interesting mechanic, just a shame that a lot of people felt they needed to beat the game on their first go and never actually understood how it was meant to be be played.

I was reading up about it there - I never actually realised that at the time. It's a shame actually because I liked the Breath of Fire series of games - in particular I loved the gene splicing dragon mechanic in BOF3. I wonder if it would be very simplistic, were you to go back to it, but I really enjoyed the variety and creativity associated with it at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I remember I got this and legia 2 for christmas and I traded them both in afterwards because I didn't like either of them

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

finally went back and beat Bof4 there a few days ago.

It was one of those one: I liked it, not as much as 3, and when I got to the last dungeon I said "**** this" and never went back.

That final dungeon is too long and too confusing. It's as if the last dungeon is as big as every other dungeon in the entire game put together.

BoFDQ, I heard was absolutely awful and I didn't try play it. however the main reason I didn't play play it was because they got rid of the 2D.
    those 3D bosses and dragons transformations Bof4 were such an eyesore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

BoFDQ, I heard was absolutely awful and I didn't try play it. however the main reason I didn't play play it was because they got rid of the 2D.
    those 3D bosses and dragons transformations Bof4 were such an eyesore.

Anyone that actually knows their RPGs says Dragon Quarter is one of the best RPGs ever made. Again the ones that hate it don't understand that you are meant to die in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

yeah, I'm guessing the reviews and opinions I went on missed that aspect.

plus there was the real I issue I had around that time with 3d graphics in RPG's. I felt like they started destroying game's the colour and spirit.

anyways got a big back log of games to get through (If I have time off) so I won't ever know what BoF DQ is like unless it's 2 years down the line.

Well BF DQ looks pretty damn gorgeous thanks to some lovely cel shading. As for reviews you can trust, Gamespite had it in it's list of the 50 best games ever made and the retronauts and ATB crew absolutely adore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Gloam

A truly great game! Hopefully it'll get a PSN re-release at some point in the future!

Over 1 year later I rummage through 100's of old games and I find.........

Can. Not. Wait.

Speaking of Breath of Fire UDON announced there bringing an art book of it of it out. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-07-19/udon-ent-to-release-breath-of-fire-devil-may-cry-resident-evil-6-darkstalkers-artbooks

I never played the earlier Breath of Fire games but I'll be getting this art book for the BoFV art alone.

Really need to get around to playing more of this series. Thought the first one was absolute dirt but the second one was fun for what I played and there's a new fan translation out so I don't even have to suffer the god awful original translation even though I found the 'fishing lod' item hilarious.

I'll ship you my one when it's finished. Worth it :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Darkstrike

I remember playing this back in the day, but I can't remember much about it except the bunkers and quest to reach open air, oh and that awesome dragon beast thing you could morph into.

What was the combat like?

Darkstrike wrote: »
    I remember playing this back in the day, but I can't remember much about it except the bunkers and quest to reach open air, oh and that awesome dragon beast thing you could morph into.

What was the combat like?

REALLY F*CKING HARD TO GET BACK INTO WHEN YOU FORGET IT ALL LOL. I am getting my ass KICKED!

Advertisement