Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU President Elections

• 16-02-2012 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Posting this on behalf of Thomas Ryan

Hi all!

My name is Thomas Ryan and I am running for PSU President. I have some original and quite progressive ideas for the job as president if you elect me.
    Here is a link to my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Thomas-Ryan-For-PSU-President/241969559219946 My manifesto can be found on my Facebook page.
    My campaign team and I are around the college canvassing each day so if you have any questions please feel free to come over and chat to us (We're the guys wearing the white t-shirts saying vote for Thomas Ryan). If you have any questions and would like to email me, I can be reached at 11147032@studentmail.ul.ie.
    I can't stress enough how important it is that you vote next Tuesday 21st. Votes can be cast online at vote.ulsu.ie.
    I am making a massive effort with my campaign and this effort and persistence will be visible in my performance as PSU President if you elect me.
    Thanks

Thomas Ryan
    Raising the bar
    PSU President Candidate

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

is the PSU a salaried position? Do they reimbursement to the tune of minimum wage plus a euro? I was under the impression it was a voluntary position but a friend insists they're on the same as SU president

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

cambridge wrote: »
    is the PSU a salaried position? Do they reimbursement to the tune of minimum wage plus a euro? I was under the impression it was a voluntary position but a friend insists they're on the same as SU president

Yea far as I know they get the same as the other Sabatts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

There seems to be precious little in that manifesto for research postgrads who are a substantial group within the postgrad cohort. Does Thomas Ryan plan to only represent taught postgrads?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

You might want to research the role you're running for a little bit more.

It's the Postgraduate Student Association (PSA)
    You say you're running for PSU President. You didn't just type it incorrectly once either, on the facebook page all references are to PSU and not PSA.

What's the PSU?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Power Supply Unit :D

• Advertisement

all very good for you guys on the side lines to take pop shots anonymously. the man has gone out on a limb to do something.

leave it out haters

all very good for you guys on the side lines to take pop shots anonymously.

How is asking after his plans to represent a large proportion of UL Postgrads taking a pop(sic) shot?

not you mate you're was legit question.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

Polar Ice wrote: »
    You might want to research the role you're running for a little bit more.

It's the Postgraduate Student Association (PSA)
    You say you're running for PSU President. You didn't just type it incorrectly once either, on the facebook page all references are to PSU and not PSA.

What's the PSU?

Apparently the PSU is the current name (according to their fb page at least)
    https://www.facebook.com/ULPSA

Not according to the website:
    http://www.postgrads.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It's the PSU now.

The candidate is correct, and owed an oopsie.

Not according to the website:
    http://www.postgrads.ie/

hate to be you

ninty9er wrote: »
    The candidate is correct, and owed an oopsie.

:o:pac:
    There's no oopsie smiley face

How come the PSU hasn't updated everything to reflect the change? I take it the change was recent?
    cambridge wrote: »
    hate to be you

nah :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

:o:pac:
    There's no oopsie smiley face

How come the PSU hasn't updated everything to reflect the change? I take it the change was recent?

nah :D

It's since last semester, but I think a new website is in the pipeline.

why hasn't the current psu president got around to it? is she another slacker? i quite liked her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Best of luck to all the candidates running.
    This election tends to get overlooked in UL, but considering how much postgrads have to pay to study there, it's a very important position.

For those criticising Thomas Ryan on his 'mistake' about the name need to give him some credit for actually investigating the name change, and actively promoting the new name in his campaign. Kudos!

he's also a very nice chap seemed very decent when talking to him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

To the OP - I do apologise, I wasn't aware of the name change and the current duplicity of naming conventions.

Good luck with the campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CianSpillane

Hi all,
    My name is Cian Spillane and I am running for PSU President. The elections are next tuesday and I would appreciate any support. This is a link to my facebook page where you can find my manifesto http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Cian-Spillane-for-PSU-President/253831971361698 . My email address is 11101288@studentmail.ul.ie. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
    Regards
    Cian Spillane

Chimaera wrote: »
    There seems to be precious little in that manifesto for research postgrads who are a substantial group within the postgrad cohort. Does Thomas Ryan plan to only represent taught postgrads?

First off, at a recent researchers focus group that was arranged by the current PSU President, only 6 research post grads turned up.
    For students problems to be solved, they must first ask for help.

From discussion with research post grads prior to compiling the manifesto many of the problems experienced by them are departmental problems or problems that the PSU President would be unable to fix.

Thomas will do everything that he can to help all postgrads and not just taught post grads. Obviously the job will entail solving problems as they occur and not just trying to implement policies that are on the manifesto.

Do not be afraid to approach Thomas while he is out around campus and express your concerns and problems.

Presidential Hustings will be taking place this Monday at 3pm in the PSA Common Room! So come along and have your voice heard and meet the candidates.

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    It's since last semester, but I think a new website is in the pipeline.

A vote was taken at the PSU AGM to change the name last semester. Sarah-Jane has been trying to get a new website developed but this hasn't happened as of yet.

Thomas who is currently studying computers for his post grad plans to develop a new website himself and to keep this well updated so that there is a place where Post Grad Students can refer to and find the information their looking for easily.

First off, at a recent researchers focus group that was arranged by the current PSU President, only 6 research post grads turned up.
    For students problems to be solved, they must first ask for help.

From discussion with research post grads prior to compiling the manifesto many of the problems experienced by them are departmental problems or problems that the PSU President would be unable to fix.

Thomas will do everything that he can to help all postgrads and not just taught post grads. Obviously the job will entail solving problems as they occur and not just trying to implement policies that are on the manifesto.

That may be the case, but to exclude them from his manifesto is going to alienate a lot of researchers before they ever even meet/hear him. TBH, my first impression of him was that manifesto and based on that I had written him off because it looked like he was only interested in taught postgrads. He's got work to do now :)

Chimaera wrote: »
    That may be the case, but to exclude them from his manifesto is going to alienate a lot of researchers before they ever even meet/hear him. TBH, my first impression of him was that manifesto and based on that I had written him off because it looked like he was only interested in taught postgrads. He's got work to do now :)

There are a number of policies within his manifesto which relate to both research and taught post grads.

Trying to increase the bursaries and financial aid to be able to aid even more students in difficulty. This can help all post grads who need it.

Creating an induction period. Although this will not relate to current postgrads, it will help future postgrads who come to UL to make more friends. Taught post grads can have no problem making new friends as there in classes and a structured environment, however it is much more difficult for research postgrads, as they are usually working in a one on one environment with their supervisor.

Actively Oppose Increased Fees: This has an impact on all Postgrads. especially research postgrads who may have part funding for 3 years, but then must pay continuation fees to complete their study. It is important that these do not increase as it will hinder the completion of studies, which will in return not reflect well on the college that research isn't being completed.

While I do apologies for my mistake on the PSA vs. PSU stuff, I am still humoured
    Presidential Hustings will be taking place this Monday at 3pm in the PSA Common Room!

Did they forget to update the name of that too :pac::D
    A vote was taken at the PSU AGM to change the name last semester. Sarah-Jane has been trying to get a new website developed but this hasn't happened as of yet.

I know Thomas would know this, but maybe Sarah-Jane doesn't: You don't need a whole new website to reflect the change of the name.

While I do apologies for my mistake on the PSA vs. PSU stuff, I am still humoured

Did they forget to update the name of that too :pac::D

I know Thomas would know this, but maybe Sarah-Jane doesn't: You don't need a whole new website to reflect the change of the name.

My mistake on the Hustings taking place in the "PSA" Commonroom. I just copy & pasted from Sarah-Jane's post on the PSU Facebook page.

And actually looking at the www.ulsu.ie, they never updated name on the link to the PSU page.
    So really, the name was changed last semester, but very little was done to implement the name change around the campus, and this needs to be addressed so that Post Grads actually know the name of the Union who is representing them.

A whole new website isn't needed, but the current one needs to be updated and kept up to date. I know Sarah-Jane has had discussions with people to create a new website, but the student she was talking to never got back to her. If you check around the website, I think the only piece that has been updated all year is the President Profile. All other positions are still last years profiles and all news stories are quite old.

With the era were in now, where everyone wants information straight away, the PSA website should be an important tool for the President to be able to communicate with all the Post Grad Students quite easily, and it is Thomas's aim to do this.

Just to let everyone know hustings has been changed to 5pm this evening in the PSU Commonroom.
    Feel free to come along and grill the candidates to find the best one.
    There will also be free tea, coffee & biscuits available.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

Just to let everyone know hustings has been changed to 5pm this evening in the PSU Commonroom.
    Feel free to come along and grill the candidates to find the best one.
    There will also be free tea, coffee & biscuits available.

Just read the change of time email now, means I can't make it. Pretty annoying to be honest, changing the time on the day of the event.

Just read the change of time email now, means I can't make it. Pretty annoying to be honest, changing the time on the day of the event.

No idea why it was changed. I only found out and posted here.

If you have any questions for Thomas post them up here I'll get an answer off him as quick as possible. Obviously not the same environment as the hustings. Alternatively PM me and i'll see if he can arrange a different time so you can talk to him, if you haven't already met him.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

Obviously not the same environment as the hustings.

Just annoyed to be honest, don't have any pressing questions for either candidate but was looking forward to a bit of debate. Thanks for the offer anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

Hi Thomas,

Can I ask as regards your involvement/affiliation with Fianna Fail/Fianna Fail Ogra?

Do you think this will affect your ability/focus to do your day to day job working for the post graduate students? You may have to make decisions/choices which conflict with the official party line etc

Advertisement