Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does fox taste like?

• 25-11-2008 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

I was reading a discussion on another board, and it came up that apparently carnivores taste delicious, but since you have to feed them several pounds of meat to harvest one pound of meat, they are uneconomical to raise for food. According to some of the posters, bear is unbelievably delicious, as is lion. And lynx.

Since you guys all walk around with rabbitskin pencilcases, and cook freshly caught woodcocks over open fires etc, I figured a few of you would have tried fox.:)

So, whats it like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

I was reading a discussion on another board, and it came up that apparently carnivores taste delicious, but since you have to feed them several pounds of meat to harvest one pound of meat, they are uneconomical to raise for food. According to some of the posters, bear is unbelievably delicious, as is lion. And lynx.

Since you guys all walk around with rabbitskin pencilcases, and cook freshly caught woodcocks over open fires etc, I figured a few of you would have tried fox.:)

So, whats it like?

I doubt you will find too many that have tried it .
    The smell of them would be enough to turn anyone off i reckon.
    I have on the other hand eaten crocodile and that is delicious it's only a pity we dont release them to hunt like they do in america.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

havent tried it but have often thought the same thing. i've heard of people eating badgers and hedgehogs back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

foxhunter wrote: »
    I doubt you will find too many that have tried it .
    The smell of them would be enough to turn anyone off i reckon.
    I have on the other hand eaten crocodile and that is delicious it's only a pity we dont release them to hunt like they do in america.
    i love the smell of fox.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I've eaten Bear and it's delicious. I've never treid fox but would imagine it's like an organic dog. If you look at what they eat - berries, worms, rats, mice, the odd hen, rabbit etc. then they must taste good.
    Stiil , don't want to be the first to try........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

So, whats it like?
    chicken:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Only part I don't like is the "hot dog":D

edi

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Have not eaten it myself but iv heard a few stories of people eating in the 30s and the 40s when times were pretty bad. Iv had croc, kangaroo and monkey aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well, if dog can be almost a national dish in some countries, I imagine it's got to be at least edible.

I'd rather not be the first to try it though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I have in my travels ate dog It is normally eating with spices and rice and be honest you wouldnt know what it was unless you asked.The Dogs are bread for eating by the way

It tends to be tough and so used in stews also used in soups. Remember folks it was amudsens use of dogs in many ways that allowed for his successess on polar expeditions.

Fox....... now I draw the line on eating a fox, however it depends on how hungry I was. Evidence from prehistoric campsites in the uk suggest all animals were a walking feast..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I have dined on canine.The meat is very much like veal in look and texture it was cooked like in a Fondue[boiling oil].Taste...welll...bland and pretty chewy.
    Seeing that I am a dog lover I wouldnt' be making it my regular dinner option,of a Jack Russel avec due veg :D .But being pragmatic it would be an option if things got really tough.

There is historical fact that some hunting mad Vicar in the UK,used to serve up roasted Renaryd in the 18th century for dinner of the hunt.

By and large I think you could eat fox no bother,but seeing it is a predator,you would want to be well careful of not eating any internal organs,brains or spinal cord,and checking it well for internal parasites.
    It would be more ethical and social taboos that would stop us from eating things other folk on this planet would think of delicaes.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Fox is not as nice as dolpin, and alot chewier that barn Owl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Never eaten it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/the_daily_politics/4853388.stm

any meat that needs to be under running water for 3 days would not be on my plate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Beaver is quite tasty :D:D:D

Vegeta wrote: »
    any meat that needs to be under running water for 3 days would not be on my plate
    No, but feck it, if people can eat meat that's been buried for six months, then damn near anything must be edible...

Spaks,
    Im intrigued......:eek::eek:...What kind of meat do you eat after 6months in the ground???

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

pigs eat meat
    i doubt much of the diet of a pig is made up of meat,
    but a fella i know used to have to feed the dead chickens to the pigs at ag college, and pig is nice to eat:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Never even considered it or dog, but, I suppose if one was hungry enough ....:eek:

What kind of meat do you eat after 6months in the ground???
    Shark. It's an Icelandic traditional dish called hakarl (which I think says a lot about the amount of food available in Iceland :D ).

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/422669/the_mystery_of_hakarl_rotten_shark.html

Well you live and learn.The only one I've heard on that line is Vietnamese Nuc Maan[sic].Basiclly small fish,that are put in big earthenware jars with spices and vinegar,and then buried for six months as well.The stuff rots down as well and stinks to high heaven.But is actually an exellent protein drink.
    Personally,I'll stick with the Icelandic Poteen/Vodka and forget about the shark.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

So none of you have eaten it?

Never had a nibble?

Ah well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

The Iniut eat seal s***e sometimes! Ive heard of my father say that alot of people used eat blackbirds and the odd time a hedgehog back in the day,

Beavers definately my favourite though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭fish slapped

I believe the Normans brought the hedgehog to Ireland as a food source. I also remember a rumor about a chinese restaurant in Mayo being closed down as there were 2 dead and skinned foxes in their freezer. It was a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

ive eaten shark and swordfish and can see they are nothing like cod,mackeral or any other fish they more like beef...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭terminator2

ask bear grylls or whatever his name is that dude has just about eaten everything and anything or as my mother would say HUNGER IS A GREAT SAUCE

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hazza

The Iniut eat seal s***e sometimes! Ive heard of my father say that alot of people used eat blackbirds and the odd time a hedgehog back in the day,

Beavers definately my favourite though :D

Tiny you've just reminded me about something my father in law used to tell me about. They used to go out in the dark after blackbirds. One lad had the torch while the other guy would have the sack and the stick.
    It was a kind of latter day dazzling if you like. The lad with the torch would find the bird in the hedge and hold the light on him while the other lad would tap him on the noggin and drop him in the sack.:eek:
    What was even better is when he told me how they cooked them!
    Straight out of the sack , poker up the hole and spit-roasted on the open fire. Went down a treat with a nice gargle of the black stuff he said.:eek:
    Now thats a traditional irish dish:D:D!

c-note wrote: »
    pigs eat meat
    i doubt much of the diet of a pig is made up of meat,
    but a fella i know used to have to feed the dead chickens to the pigs at ag college, and pig is nice to eat:)

Hmm that sounds like a fammilar Ag college practise;):).
    Swine are omnivorous,IOW anything We can eat they can eat too,same digestive system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

Two of my friends have eaten fox, both said it wasn't pleasant and one of them cooked his to some old recipe he found!
    I'm happy to take their word for it.
    Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 38,923 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Hmm that sounds like a fammilar Ag college practise;):).
    Swine are omnivorous,IOW anything We can eat they can eat too,same digestive system.
    And they'd chanc alot more than us, far less picky

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sparks wrote: »
    Shark. It's an Icelandic traditional dish called hakarl (which I think says a lot about the amount of food available in Iceland :D ).

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/422669/the_mystery_of_hakarl_rotten_shark.html

I have eaten this and it is the most disgusting thing I have ever put in my mouth, It didn't stay in there long though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

Clarissa's recipe for Fox Pasta
    You emailed in your droves during Tuesday's Daily Politics asking for Clarissa Dickson Wright's recipe for Fox Casserole. So here it is!

For Fox A La Clarissa:

Take one fox. Skin it and gut it.

Hang the fox in running water for three days.

Cook with garlic, onion and tomato, as if you were cooking rabbit the Italian way: lay in a dish, cover, and stew for about an hour and a half.

I would probably cut the fox into halves, not quarters.

Serve with chestnut pasta, and for wine: a good Falerian.
    It's not generally known that the Thais eat a lot of fox. It's the closest thing that Chinese, Thais and Malays can legally get to dog.

In fact, Manchester -- where Andrew was trying to take Margaret Beckett for dinner -- is one of the prime markets for selling shot fox to Thais.

There's also fillet of badger - most West Country pubs used to have badger ham on the bar - but that's another story.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/the_daily_politics/4853388.stm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement