Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualifications among Gardai

• 13-01-2012 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

From my own experience, there is a perception of An Garda Siochana as an organisation which doesn't attract third level graduates.

So I'm interested in the levels of educational achievement among those members who frequent this forum, and specifically that achieved prior to their joining of the force, which will hopefully remove the image and the stereotype's I often encounter form my head.

To start, I'm presently in the middle of a undergraduate Law programme.

Hopefully this thread doesn't breach the Charter or otherwise compromise members (which is not my intention)

What area is your pre-Garda third level qualification? 34 votes

Business (HR, Marketing, Management, etc.)
    0% 0 votes
    Humanities (Law, History, Social Sciences, etc.)
    20% 7 votes
    Engineering (Civil, Mechanical, Electronic, etc.)
    32% 11 votes
    Science (Biology, Forensics, Physics, Chemistry, etc.)
    14% 5 votes
    Computers (Programming, Networking, Software, etc.)
    8% 3 votes
    Other
    14% 5 votes
    No previous third level qualification
    8% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Degree in Building and industrial services engineering and the plan is to do law in the near future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Sometime back in the 1980's the papers carried on their front page the story of a Garda who had just had his passing out parade at Templemore. His claim to fame was that he was the first 3rd level graduate to join AGS .

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭da_hambo

Well majority on my unit have a degree in something.and it counts, id advise anyone to do it.if you enter the guards with a recognised degree, you go up three notches on the pay scale as an incentive upon attestation.

From my own experience, there is a perception of An Garda Siochana as an organisation which doesn't attract third level graduates.

So I'm interested in the levels of educational achievement among those members who frequent this forum, and specifically that achieved prior to their joining of the force, which will hopefully remove the image and the stereotype's I often encounter form my head.

To start, I'm presently in the middle of a undergraduate Law programme.

Hopefully this thread doesn't breach the Charter or otherwise compromise members (which is not my intention)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Corruptable

Degree in Building and industrial services engineering and the plan is to do law in the near future
    I strongly recommend it, I find it a fascinating area, both Civil and Criminal. I could imagine it would be incredibly useful as a member of An Garda Siochana to have the extra background it in.

I've considered applying for the Reserves (though I know there is mixed views on them among full-time members) to get a glimpse of what the job is like and add any support I can to full-time members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

da_hambo wrote: »
    if you enter the guards with a recognised degree, you go up three notches on the pay scale as an incentive upon attestation.

Is the extra pay for a degree not all but gone now for any new recruits that enter AGS in the future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

da_hambo wrote: »
    if you enter the guards with a recognised degree, you go up three notches on the pay scale as an incentive upon attestation.

Is the extra pay for a degree not all but gone now for any new recruits that enter AGS in the future?

Anyone who joined in the last decade or so, since training became the 2years, come out with a BA in policing studies (which is fairly worthless outside of the job tbh) so technically all garda college graduates are third level graduates... Alot of lads on my unit have previous qualifications alright. I only have a cert ;) I would definitely recommend anyone looking to join to have something to their name before joining

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

The proportion of Irish people under 35 with higher education is extremely high due to the low school leaving age and free education policies. With the new costs this might change although we won't see the impact for some while.

It would probably be more interesting to look at the proportion of Gardai with a third level education compared with a similar population outside AGS.

Or else look at the number of people who went to traditional style universities such as TCD, UCD, DCU, NUI, UL, UCC rather than the series of ITs or colleges which sprung up, sometimes offering bachelor degrees in subjects that would not previously have been seen as a degree subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

How would you get around doing that while working if you don't mind me asking ? :)

Not being smart but a genuine question

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

How would you get around doing that while working if you don't mind me asking ? :)

Not being smart but a genuine question
    Distance learning and night courses. You suit the course around your work schedule basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

A colleague was in a local hotel recently to view CCTV and was dealing a somewhat supercilious manager. Conversation went some thing like this:

Manager: "Only pass Leaving Cert needed to get into the Guards these days?" (with a smirk)

Guard (cheerfully): "Yup, more than is required for hotel management......and we get a pension".

That, as they say, was all she wrote :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement