Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clunking Noise in Ford Focus

• 18-08-2005 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi hopefully someone can help. I've just bought a 99 ford focus h/b. At low speeds when you go over a bump or speed ramp, there's a clunking noise coming from under the car. When in the drivers seat it sounds like it's coming from the back, but when you're in the back it definitely sounds like it's coming from the front drivers side, close to where the driver sits.
    I don't know much about cars, but I've been told the ball joints, bushings etc are fine. At one stage I thought it might be the gear box, but I've had this tightened also, so it doesn't seem to be it. I've also had the engine mounts checked, & it isn't it. I'm now starting to wonder if it could be the steering rack, or whatever it's called. Has anyone else had a problem like this, or could you point me in other possible directions. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I hear something similar to this on my 00 fiesta. Sounds like its coming from where the exhaust backbox is. Haven't had anyone in the back to see what it sounds like to them. I go so slow (we have speedbumps on site in work) over them (nobody in the back) I can't tell wtf is causing it. I occasionally hear this going over a hump on the road too.

Its just a single clunk, nothing repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Same kinda thing happened in my Dad's mondeo and it was the tie rods.....just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I had the same clunk with my 98 Passat. I found the problem to be the anti-roll bar drop link on the passenger side was knackered. The design was sh!t and I replaced both links with an updated part #. Problem solved. The B5's had a lot of probs with front end steering & suspension though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

focus? fiesta? mondeo?.....moral of the story - dont buy a Ford!!!
    ...when will you people learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

its a common problem ALL cars have them!.unlike others the fords are cheap to fix if you do it your self.
    it does sound like front anti-roll barr bushes or rod ties(links)
    if you need part numbers(ford) give me a shout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭joeyrat

Yea, changed one of those links (rod ties) made no difference. The other one seemed perfect, but I guess I've no real way of testing without leaving in garage. Again, whatever small bit of testing we did suggested the bushes were fine too. I meant to say we thought it was the exhaust knocking around, but this doesn't seem to be the problem. The reason I'm thinking steering now is bacause while stationary, if you vigorously move the steering wheel from side to side you get some clunking noises, similar to that when I'm driving, but the confusing thing is when driving it happens when you're driving really slow & gentle, even the slightest bump results in clunking, could this really be the steering? It's starting to drive me mad! Thanks for all your suggestions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

HI M8,
    Are you sure the front anti-roll bar bushes are ok?,you have to raise the 2 front wheels off the ground in order to check,any movement/play at all even from side to side is not good,my G/F has a 2000 Fiesta witch had the same problem,the bushes had only sideways play(from left to right),we got the replaced (warrenty) & the problem went away.
    even the slightest bumps & there would be a knocking noise.
    Hope this helps you out a bit.

Yeah, even a slight bump hit at low speed made my Passat clunk like it was falling apart. Be warned though-it was almost impossible to detect any play in the links! I put the car up on axle stands and yanked at everything, eventually I detected a tiny bit of play on one side. The links are the cheapest part of the VW front end so I replaced them with spurious ones from GSF and problem solved. Now, once I had the defective link off I could feel that the ball joint in it had failed, I could make it 'click' in my hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 joeL

Joey,
    I used to own a '99 Focus for a couple of years, and it suffered numerous clunks and rattles, all of which I got sorted under warranty.
    The ones I remember were:
    Anti-roll bar links
    Pedal box
    Engine mounts

The anti-roll bar links were very noticeable, a loud clunk at low speed over bumps. Most commonly failed on passenger side.
    The pedal-box was a very common Focus problem, most noticable whilst turning left. You could actually feel it "moving" under your feet.
    The engine mounts made noise as I pulled away in traffic, replacing those fixed that.
    Rear wheel bearings are also a common failure, though I never had that problem myself.

joeL wrote:
    Rear wheel bearings are also a common failure, though I never had that problem myself.
    Yeah, mate of mine had a rear bearing go in short order and with fcuk all warning on a 98 Focus. Most likely a defective bearing at manufacture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

joeyrat wrote:
    Hi hopefully someone can help. I've just bought a 99 ford focus h/b. At low speeds when you go over a bump or speed ramp, there's a clunking noise coming from under the car. When in the drivers seat it sounds like it's coming from the back, but when you're in the back it definitely sounds like it's coming from the front drivers side, close to where the driver sits.
    ......!

Could be any of a number of things, but lets start with the easiest to check.
    A broken or loose exhaust hanger. A replacement box that may be too large, etc.

suspension mount bushings are next. Particularly if you have an anti-roll bar on your vehicle. As often as not the frame bushings are right under your feet, so you may at times actually feel them clunking.

next, Spring and Damper mounts and bushings

Followed by engine mounts.

But also checkfor loose auxilliary equipment, like fuel pumpps, ABS gizmos and/or fueltanks that may have loose mounting hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yellowfrog

scared stiff bringing mine to garage tomorrow, i am a female so super worried as i feel im easy prey ;-( love my focus

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement