Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tefl in South Korea

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyfratelli_x

I was just looking at flights there to Korea for August. Same prices came up on Expedia USA and the Irish one. Etihad was cheapest at 684 one way.
    However used Travelsupermarket.com and flying with emirates by booking through lastminute.com came up at 615. So worth havin a look at if any of you guys are bookin flights :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Anyone know if the medical examination currently includes testing for weed? I smoked right up to my departure last year and had no issues but now I'm having trouble finding a definitive answer on the cannibinoid test. Some people are saying yes, they are testing, others are saying don't worry about it. I have six weeks 'til my new contract starts, less than three until I go back to Korea. I'm ust trying to weigh up my options regarding whether I could get away with a few wee puffs over the next week or two??

If you like your smoke that much, you're coming to the wrong country. It's not a smoking country.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Galwayj

Hi,
    New here , currently applying for jobs with some recruiters. I have all my documents ready . Is there any recruiters people would recommend ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

Anyone know if the medical examination currently includes testing for weed? I smoked right up to my departure last year and had no issues but now I'm having trouble finding a definitive answer on the cannibinoid test. Some people are saying yes, they are testing, others are saying don't worry about it. I have six weeks 'til my new contract starts, less than three until I go back to Korea. I'm ust trying to weigh up my options regarding whether I could get away with a few wee puffs over the next week or two??

Don't even think about it!

When I was getting my medical last year, we were told at the medical centre that we didn't need to get the drugs test anymore. It was no longer a visa requirement. Then about a week later, we had to take a trip out to the medical centre again because (guess what!) we did in fact have to get the drug's test.

Moral of the story, as anyone who has spent time in Korea knows, everything changes at the drop of a hat over there with regard to red tape stuff, so don't cause extra hassle for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PES4

I was just looking at flights there to Korea for August. Same prices came up on Expedia USA and the Irish one. Etihad was cheapest at 684 one way.
    However used Travelsupermarket.com and flying with emirates by booking through lastminute.com came up at 615. So worth havin a look at if any of you guys are bookin flights :)

Not bad, but I booked last week to depart yesterday (11th Irish) and it cost only 565 one way through Trailfinders. Takes in a 8 hour stopover in Hong Kong where I'm currently typing from, but I reckon it is well worth it. Also, was pleasantly surprised by Cathay Pacific. Great in flight entertainment and decent leg room etc.

Keep looking TEFLers.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

If your recruiter is willing to pay for the flight (whether upfront or reimbursement) do you or the recruiter arrange the flights etc. Or would you have to research the flight and send them the booking details? Personally I wouldn't mind, would probably find a cheaper flight that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Andy!! wrote: »
    If your recruiter is willing to pay for the flight (whether upfront or reimbursement) do you or the recruiter arrange the flights etc. Or would you have to research the flight and send them the booking details? Personally I wouldn't mind, would probably find a cheaper flight that way.

My recruiter organised it and sent me the details. From the Eticket they seemed to get themselves a pretty good deal with emirates from a Korean travel agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭roosh

My recruiter offered to sort my flights out, using their preferred partner, but the flights were a good bit more expensive than I got myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Galwayj wrote: »
    Hi,
    New here , currently applying for jobs with some recruiters. I have all my documents ready . Is there any recruiters people would recommend ?
    Thanks

ATC or footprints

stay away from teacherforsouthkorea

Thank you , appreciated .
    Im currently dealing with YBM Education , a guy called kim from Ga Education and dan from teacheslkorea , does anyone know if these have a good rep ? As im quite wary from all the horror stories you hear. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭conbob

What do South Koreans you meet/talk to etc. make of North Korea? Are they worried by them or just getting on with their lives?

I have been offer these two jobs so far but i think they look like they are in small cities , what do people think ? I do have my heart set on seoul as i do want to live in a big city from what ive been told

No.16 High school in pyungtaek,GEPIK
    Starting Date: April 20th
    Housing :3mins walking from School
    City info:
    http://www.pyeongtaek.go.kr/Contents.do?MENU_CODE=1E0100000000
    Standard benefits: free airfare, free housing, bonus, 20 days paid vacation, 1/2 medical

Elementary School in Ansung,GEPIK
    Starting date: April 5th,-May 25th
    Housing : 7mins from school by bus
    City Info:http://www.anseong.go.kr/service/english_new/
    Standard benefits: , free housing, bonus, 20 days paid vacation, 1/2 medical
    Standard benefits: Reimbursed airfare,free housing, bonus, 20 days paid vacation, 1/2 medical
    Others: 100,000 won more for rural allowance + 5days more vacation

Middle school in Hwaseong Dongtan new city,GEPIK
    Starting Date: ASAP
    Housing : The school will be get new housing for new teacher
    City info:http://http://www.hscity.net/
    Standard benefits: free airfare, free housing, bonus, 20 days paid vacation, 1/2 medical

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I have been offer these two jobs so far but i think they look like they are in small cities , what do people think ? I do have my heart set on seoul as i do want to live in a big city from what ive been told

No.16 High school in pyungtaek,GEPIK
    Starting Date: April 20th
    Housing :3mins walking from School
    City info:
    http://www.pyeongtaek.go.kr/Contents.do?MENU_CODE=1E0100000000

Middle school in Hwaseong Dongtan new city,GEPIK
    Starting Date: ASAP
    Housing : The school will be get new housing for new teacher
    City info:http://http://www.hscity.net/

Pyeongtaek is a nice city, I've not explored it properly but I know people working there and there is a foreigner community. Pyeongtaek also is a main KTX (rapid train) which would get you to Seoul in about an hour.

I like about 10 minutes away from Dongtan by bus (I'm currently in Osan) it's a new modern city and it's very rich. I know a good few people from Dongtan and they love teaching there. I've went to a few of their apartments and they are state of the art.

Ive also been offered this

Position: GEPIK
    Public Elementary School
    http://www.jangnae.es.kr/
    City: Namyangju
    http://www.nyj.go.kr/english/index.jsp
    Starting date: April 27
    Salary and benefits: GEPIK standard
    Free housing
    Free plane ticket
    Severance pay
    50% insurance support

sorry for all the posts , im just unsure if i should wait for a central seoul job or not

I've been told by two recruiters that it is very hard for an irish person to get a job in central seoul . Is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

PES4 wrote: »
    Cheers to Cloneslad and SpatialPlanning for the earlier advice in this thread.

As suggested I was upfront and honest about my situation and was allowed to delay my start date. I leave on Wednesday to begin teaching in a public school (got lucky) in Gimhae. Cheers for the info guys, this is a really great thread.

I don't suppose you play Gaelic Football? Or want to try? We train every Saturday on the West side of Busan - not too far from you. Great way to meet plenty of new people! Big tournament coming up in 2 weeks time in Busan too.

Look for 'Laochra Busan' or Busan GAA on facebook!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I've been told by two recruiters that it is very hard for an irish person to get a job in central seoul . Is this true?

I was told this too and was really worried about finding anything. My advice is just to wait and see what you get offered. I don't know what recruiter you are working with but ATC are really cool and they seem to have placed a good few Irish people.

I know it's stressful when you want to get over here asap but waiting for what you want will probably be worth it in the long run. If Seoul is what you want then wait for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭HenryChinaski

Thanks for the replies. I'm not even a big smoker anyway it's just when you're home catching up with mates it's nice to chill out and have a few puffs instead of going out on the sauce all the time. I did smoke a little over the last couple of weeks but I've got 5 weeks until I start my new contract so I think I should be grand if I don't smoke again. Ideally I'd have 6 weeks clean to be sure so if I can put off the test for a week or so I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭inverted_world

I was told this too and was really worried about finding anything. My advice is just to wait and see what you get offered. I don't know what recruiter you are working with but ATC are really cool and they seem to have placed a good few Irish people.

I know it's stressful when you want to get over here asap but waiting for what you want will probably be worth it in the long run. If Seoul is what you want then wait for it.

I second this.

ATC said that they had very positive feedback from schools who had hired Irish teachers, so they don't give automatic preference to Americans. They found me a public school job in just a couple of days. I am in Anyang, but I'm closer to central Seoul than any of the other "Seoul" jobs I was offered with other recruiters, and my school is great.

I made a short introduction video as well, so the school could hear my accent.

thanks for the info
    I just got a reply from atc who want to schedule a phone interview . I am already dealing with ybm ,teacheslkorea , tj recruiting .
    I have been offered this place also Namyangju , i dunno if i should just settle for this place .
    Thanks for all the replies

• Advertisement

I requested my police certificate by post on Thursday, and received it today!

Credit where its due, that was very efficient :D

I found ATC to be a bit hit and miss. They replied to my original e-mail saying that they were considering my application. They never replied back at the time. Got an e-mail from them a week or two ago saying that they had jobs in May and to contact them immediately if I was interested. I replied saying I wasnt but that I would be interested in applying for August. No reply since :confused:

Im currently dealing with teacheslkorea and another guy who I had a phone interview with but I cant remember his name?
    Have a phone interview with footprints next week and have been in contact with Gone2Korea since yesterday.

Ive been told my two recruiters at this stage that EPIK applications are already closed for next semester! I was interested in Incheon however the guy at Gone2Korea told me that they are hiring through Incheon MOE office this year and not EPIK. However when I mentioned Incheon to the woman at teacheslkorea today she told me that as EPIK was closed I would have to settle for a school in the GEPIK programme.

Confused is an understatement! Anyone else know anything about this??

Just had an interview and got offered a job there with ybm in dongdaemun in seoul which i am happy with so far . Though i didnt ask enough questions in the interview , what i did ask was how many foriegn teachers did they have ? which was 6
    I am going to send them the email to confirm that i am happy with the position and get the contract .
    Has anyone here had dealings with YBM and should i ask more questions in the email ? as i think i should get a contact email for a teacher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Dongdaemun is quite a good area to be in.
    Did you ask the hours you'd be working,
    is it split shifts?
    will you be teaching adults?
    Is it YBM ECC?
    How far is your apartment from the school?
    what's the apartment like?
    what is the salary?
    Who pays for the flight?
    How are they to work for?

I'm guessing it's not a franchise, but you might be as well asking them.

I didnt ask them enough questions from what i gathered , i had all my question all laid out but only ended up asking them how many foreign tefl teachers did they have and from what i was told , 6 . I guess the tiredness got to me
    I know i would be teaching 4,5 and 6 year old and 7-13 year olds .

Yes , it is YBM ECC do you have any information/thoughts on them ?
    They havent send me the contract yet but when i get that , i shall ask those questions and get the contact details of a teacher there .
    Thank you for your reply

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Went to get my grades today. Two copies, in a sealed envelope with a college stamp across the seam. Do we only need to get the last years results? Cause if we need all the years I might need to go back.

Went to get my grades today. Two copies, in a sealed envelope with a college stamp across the seam. Do we only need to get the last years results? Cause if we need all the years I might need to go back.

Im no expert, but I think you need the full transcripts. As in from first year to final year. Someone else would know better though.

I was never asked to get my transcripts , seems to depend on the recruiter .
    All i was asked of was
    Degree
    gardai clearance
    and an apostille on both

I know this might be a stupid question, but my degree is from NUIG and its all in latin. I have a copy of it and Im going to get it notarized soon. But Im just wondering will that be ok? Will they need an English copy? Im pretty sure you can get these from some office in Dublin? Or will a copy of the original be ok?? Why is this process so confusing?? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I didnt ask them enough questions from what i gathered , i had all my question all laid out but only ended up asking them how many foreign tefl teachers did they have and from what i was told , 6 . I guess the tiredness got to me
    I know i would be teaching 4,5 and 6 year old and 7-13 year olds .

Yes , it is YBM ECC do you have any information/thoughts on them ?
    They havent send me the contract yet but when i get that , i shall ask those questions and get the contact details of a teacher there .
    Thank you for your reply

I worked for YBM ECC but it was a franchise. I didn't work for the company itself. I think the actual company works longer hours and you'll never meet the higher ups, just the school manager.

You'll always get paid on time, unless they go bankrupt or something.

You won't be able to get minor things done that needs permission from the money men. I'd imagine if you had problems with yuor apartment, you'll just have to suffer in silence, unless each school gets a budget to sort this out.

My franchised school sorted everything for me, got a new washing machine one day after my principal noticed a stain on my top, being caused by the old one.

I've a friend teaching for YBM ECC in Daejon, he previously taught in the franchised one i worked it. He hasn't complained about it yet, he's been there about a month now.

They aren't required by immigration anymore, though the old rules stated they had to be for every year. Recruiters do still ask for them though...what they do with them, I don't know....think it could be a 'just in case the immigration person is a tit' precaution.
    I know this might be a stupid question, but my degree is from NUIG and its all in latin. I have a copy of it and Im going to get it notarized soon. But Im just wondering will that be ok? Will they need an English copy? Im pretty sure you can get these from some office in Dublin? Or will a copy of the original be ok?? Why is this process so confusing?? :(

needs to be translated, not sure how you go about it, but it has to be in English, from what I remember.

• Advertisement

Found a form online from the head office in Dublin. Costs 50 euro :(
    Thanks for the info though :)

Advertisement