Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best thing for 1 year old's cold

• 29-06-2012 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭

My 1 year old son has a streaming nose and a bit of a cough, he is not sleeping great. Would ideally like to avoid plying him with Calpol so wondering if anyone has any other tips for helping them with cold?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Have you tried a spoon of honey and a hot drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

No, is honey ok for them now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Honey is ok after 1 as far as i know.
    For the cough you can get glycerine with out honey either.
    A humidifier type set up might help at night?
    Might he have a touch of hayfever?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NotInventedHere

Water, Neurofen kids and calpol. Alternate between the Neurofen and Calpol, sticking to the dosage instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

+1 on humidifier we found it great - especially the one you could put some olbas oil drops into. Failing that put some olbas oil or karvol on some material and hang it near baby but out of their reach - thats the tricky part! Found mine slept better with the menthol in the air.

If using a humidifier make sure to ventilate the room well next day - we forgot once and found mould starting to grow on window frame.

Honey is fine after 1 year but for anyone with baby under one Pharmony is glycerine (I think) without honey and worked well for us - found it in a doc morris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

Before bedtime Bring kettle into bathroom and don't have too much water in it, leave the lid off and turn it on.
    when its steamy in bathroom, bring baby in there for a while.
    Good idea not to wear too much while in there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

Boot,s have plug in vapouriser which is quiet good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

The olbas battery operated vaporizer is good but very hard to find refills. I drop half a karvol capsule on this mattress and he usually sleeps great. No waking because of a bunged up nose. You can use soothes cough medicine from 1 year and it's great for coughs

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭saralou2011

Try snuffle baby it the (same as vapour rub), you can get it in the chemist. rub on his/her chest. if they have a dummy put a bit of it on top of the dummy so it near their nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Karvol, saline spray, nurofen cos it last 8 hours instead of 4 for calpol.. steamy bathroom tilt his cot up at the top or put a pillow under his mattress to lift his head.. stops so much goo going in the chest throat and waking them up.. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Maybe get one of those little suction things to get the snot out of his nose (sorry for the grossness!). Our nephew is 14 months old and gets the odd cold and his parents find it great for helping him sleep and eat. Propping him up a bit helps too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Everything cbyrd has above. Karvol on the bed linen, tilt the cot up a smidge, and the baby neurofen.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

Well his running nose is clearing up so its mainly his cough, he was coughin a bit during the night last night.....is there such a thing as a baby cough bottle??

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Winnie wrote: »
    Well his running nose is clearing up so its mainly his cough, he was coughin a bit during the night last night.....is there such a thing as a baby cough bottle??

Must be doing the rounds at the minute, my little guy has exactly the same thing :( he woke himself up 6 times last night with the cough.. Poor little guy.. and he was all set to start Playgroup today.. talk about timing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

My daughter has the same thing too. I am giving her Exputex for her cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

A great hint I got - Karvol in an oil burner. You can get it as a bottle or open one of the capsules. I find it way better than putting it on the sheets and use it when I'm bunged up myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

A pillow under the mattress. The most important thing is getting the mucous out and they can only do that if their head is raised. After that albas oil and a humidifier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

The most important thing is getting the mucous out and they can only do that if their head is raised.
    I have read this in a few places - but how does it work? My 1 year old has a non productive cough. She coughs a bit during the day and sometimes at night. I know the problem is phlegm, but I have no easy way to get rid of it. The doc says everything is fine with her, but the cough is lasting over a month at this stage. Thankfully its not as bad as it was at the start. We were using a humidifier and the door and window was closed in the bedroom. Then we opened both (with the draught blocked) and use karvol oil capsules. She has improved but the cough is still there.

Advertisement