Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary school teaching experience

• 31-05-2010 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hi,
    You might guess that I'm new to this particular forum. :)

I'm looking at doing a H.Dip for primary teaching, and my lack of school teaching experience appears to be my main obstacle at the moment. How would I go around getting that experience? I have an honours BA, would that qualify me to sub in schools?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

Hi,
    You might guess that I'm new to this particular forum. :)

I'm looking at doing a H.Dip for primary teaching, and my lack of school teaching experience appears to be my main obstacle at the moment. How would I go around getting that experience? I have an honours BA, would that qualify me to sub in schools?

In short, yes!

You might find it difficult to get subbing work at the moment so be as flexible as possible.

Would you consider volunteering for the experience? You might find some schools willling to give you a few hours in a classroom.

Also start getting yourself garda vetted now so you can at least put that on your CV.

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Buddhapadge

Garda vetted? I never would have thought of that. Cheers! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 funkypenguin

Hope you don't mind but I'm in the same boat so didn't want to be starting a similar thread! I've just finished my degree, love working with children so looking into the postgrad at St Pat's. (Should have done the BEd in the first place but thought a degree would be better for some reason). I was looking at the UK too but I don't have LC science so that seems to rule me out for some courses. Hoping to get some voluntary experience in local schools and I have garda vetting from other voluntary experience, I think you've to get clearance each time though?? Any advice/help/comments appreciated!! Also if there's anything I can do to improve my CV etc. Thank you!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Well it's almost summer so even voluntary experience will be tricky with no children in schools. Try summer camps. I know they've probably hired already but they might need an extra pair of garda-vetted hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

You might find more information in the primary and preschools section. There have been a good few threads on how to get experience there.

The INTO and Teaching Council have clamped down on unqualified people taking substitute work in school. Principals have been given a directive not to hire unqualified applicants. There might be some subbing out there though as I've heard that not everyone is following the directive. However, I'd imagine that any unqualified people are getting the job based on who they know. It's not a situation that I'm very happy about, as I think that there are enough unemployed primary teachers at the moment to cover these days. As I've said on another thread, our Principal splits the class if there's nobody qualified available, but she might hire a secondary teacher if one was available.

Here's a link to a good thread in the primary section
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055815689

Best of luck getting experience. Maybe if you have Garda vetting you could volunteer in a school that has an autism unit as they run summer camps during July. Your reference would probably be from a Principal/teacher and it'd be in a school setting. We don't have an autism unit in our school, so I'm not sure if they do take on volunteers like that, but it'd be worth trying.

• Advertisement

Thanks for taking the time to reply! The course doesn't start until february so I'm hoping to set up work experience for september. Looking into summer camps. Thanks for the tip about the autism units, I actually have a family member with special needs so I'll definitely look into that, completely forgot that they open during the summer. I'm not looking to get paid, as has been said there's so many qualified teachers unemployed at the moment, I'd just be glad to get some voluntary experience and working with children is something I enjoy anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

I've no experience of going the UK route, & it'd be too late for this year anyway I'd say, but just to let you know, some college offer maths & science equivalency exams, which might open some doors for you.

Thanks for that will look into it, good to keep options open, especially at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I'm a director in an Irish College and each year we take on someone in yer position in an assistant teacher's position. Another option perhaps.

Thanks for the tip! Never would have thought of most of these ideas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 tubs12

Hi guys
    I am currently doing the masters in primary education.My first TP is coming up.I am from Limerick but living in Cork at the moment. I decided to do my TP in Cork but afterwards i will be moving home to Limerick.The fact that my TP will be based in two different counties,in the future when i am sending my cv into schools,will this look unfavourable? Should i stick with getting my other TP block in Cork as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

tubs12 wrote: »
    Hi guys
    I am currently doing the masters in primary education.My first TP is coming up.I am from Limerick but living in Cork at the moment. I decided to do my TP in Cork but afterwards i will be moving home to Limerick.The fact that my TP will be based in two different counties,in the future when i am sending my cv into schools,will this look unfavourable? Should i stick with getting my other TP block in Cork as well?

It won't make the blindest bit of difference where you do your TP.

Thanks for the help An Bradán Feasa

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

When applying for jobs it would only make a difference if you were applying to a school where you had done your teaching practice. They may recognise you from this. Otherwise no. Good grades, relevant experience and what you can bring to the school will count to help you try to stand out from the crowd!

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

The different counties make no difference. When I did the undergrad in Limerick we were placed by the college for the first three tps and the last one was always the 'home' tp, so most people would have at least two counties on their cv. What you might look for is different types of school for your placements. Eg. A DEIS school and a smaller rural or muliticlass school. That will provide you with different experiences that might be useful when it comes to applying for jobs.

Thanks for the advice everyone

Advertisement