Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The pub loses its pulling power

167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Most pubs in Ireland still insist on charging 5 euro a pint and 8-9 euro for mixed drinks and then they wonder why nobody wants to go there. I went out for a few drinks in Dublin before Christmas and spent an absolute fortune.
    Funny how every other city in the world has plenty of successful bars and pubs, even though their economies are fcked as well.

Most pubs are cheaper then five euro for a pint.

But then you're looking at Dublin and calling it all of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Most pubs are cheaper then five euro for a pint.

But then you're looking at Dublin and calling it all of Ireland

I'm looking at Dublin because that's where I lived and where I still visit. And I'm comparing it to London, so pretty much like-for-like. There's no point in comparing country pub prices in one country to city prices in another.

Having said that, I've been in about 4 different Irish counties in the last few months and I haven't found decent value drinks anywhere. If there are pubs serving pints for cheaper than five euro a pint, they aren't much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

Ghandee wrote: »
    I personally, (and am sure others on this thread will agree).that, €2 for a coke, or €4 for a pint of coke (well, 440ml) is way way way too much.

If, as some have suggested on here that a coke costs the pub 40c a bottle, that's 500% mark up there Ronan my lad. I wish I could charge my customers prices like that on the products I sell :cool:

A coke should be a euro, two euro for a large one.

There's something seriously, seriously wrong, when the designated drivers 'pint' costs more than the lads pint, whose on his 8th guinness IMO.

Realistic prices for the average Irish punter these days should be this:
    Two fifty a pint of the usual Piss in Ireland (bud, heino etc)
    Three euro for more premium beers.

when the publicans in this country start to understand that they aren't exempt from this recession, (ie, they will have to accept a cut in earnings by reducing prices) they might be able to salvage some of the damage they created by the shameless gouging of us during the book years.

a can of coke in gala cost me €1.19 this morning...i have never bothered to check what i pay for coke to be honest but i know i make a decent enough profit off it percentage wise but i work in a very small pub that isn't set up for non drinkers. nobody has ever complained about €2 for a coke because its probably the cheapest around. 4-5 euro is taking the pizz which is why i commented in the first place. people are in business to make money at the end of the day but ripping people off isn't a sustainable business model!!

i can tell you for a fact though that the prices you are suggesting would not sustain a city bar unless it was a family owned and run bar (no debts, low overheads) and even then id say diagio and heineken would take exception to your pricing and those eejits from the vfi would be round for a word too!!

i dont deal with them lads anyway as i dont like their products and i dont like the way they do business. i do a 2 pint glass of lager for €6 but all my other taps would be more expensive because of the cost of the product to produce and in some cases the abv. ive sold pints at €6 before but not mass produced rubbish!

im not trying to defend publicans that blatently rip people off, just try to understand that not all publicans should be painted with the same brush and some are in genuine difficulty as they too can be trapped in negative equity and most of them came into the business during the boom and don't have a clue what to do now that things have slowed down a bit so they are lashing out at tesco because its easy.

i think the pub trade in ireland has already started to evolve with more bars moving away from diageo and heineken's influence but i can see a lot more bars closing before things level out and when they inevitably reopen the same mistakes should not be made.

i could see diageo being behind this below cost selling rubbish as it is lowering the percieved value of their product

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

All of them should be forced to reduce prices and the only way to do that is stop going which is happening.

They are even trying with this new "lets make friday after work pub night promotion crap" but wont reduce the price of any of the pints??...no wonder its not working and most the pubs are completely empty on thursdays and half empty on weekends. Serves them right. They can go f-them selves as far as im concerned.

They have been bleeding people dry for years and they are still trying to get away with it, blaming everyone else but themselves and there crazy top heavy pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

All of them should be forced to reduce prices and the only way to do that is stop going which is happening.

They are even trying with this new "lets make friday after work pub night promotion crap" but wont reduce the price of any of the pints??...no wonder its not working and most the pubs are completely empty on thursdays and half empty on weekends. Serves them right. They can go f-them selves as far as im concerned.

They have been bleeding people dry for years and they are still trying to get away with it, blaming everyone else but themselves and there crazy top heavy pricing.

Alas this doesn't seem to be the case my local is jammers every Thursday through to Sunday..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Phenomenally Phrank

Boo-****ing-Hoo. The publicansrobbers are butthurt about losing money.Sob Sob.These are the same moneygrubbing crooks who have no compunction about jacking up their prices for the flimsiest reasons whenever it suits them. The public has had enough of being taken for saps and ripped off, and have voted with their feet. Deal with it.

Advertisement