Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiled Ham (how long)

• 23-12-2007 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭

How long should I boil a 4-5lb ham for. Am thinking 30min per lb ? Is this about right. Cheers in advance J.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

30 min per lb + 30 mins is my cooking time. I also steep it in cold water overnight before cooking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

Can I just give a tip for the nicest boiled ham EVER - boil it in cider - trust me :):)
    Got that from my sister-in-law a few years ago, wouldn't do it any other way now.

I usually do it for 25mins lb + 25 mins - mmmmmmmmmm honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

seems like an awful waste of good alcohol. Eating's cheating you know :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

You don't have to use expensive cider, use the cheap stuff you WOULDN'T drink haha - don't knock it till you try it :):) I have my bottle of cheap cider on the ready :D

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

Jaysus I'd say that stinks up the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

coke it in coke a cola its so much nicer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

I'm gonna try the cider and apple juice trick...sounds yum..

Just wondering, when you all say boil it for x amount of time, do you mean pour cider into a big pot with ham and bring to the boil then simmer for 1.5 hours?
    Do you simmer it or keep it on a low boil?

First timer here and I really wanna make it right!

Advertisement