Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kendrick Lamar

• 30-06-2011 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭

if j cole has his own thread its only right lamar has his, along with cole lamar is considered one the best new talents to come through in a long time.

i personally think he has a just a small bit of an edge over cole but its mainly just my personal preference, i just think he can switch it up a bit more than cole also its great to hear a proper new talent from the west.

he's dropping a debut digital album called section 80 july 2nd, he's put out a bit for it already. A bit strange that his debut is going to be just digital only available on itunes, im not a fan of this online only stuff id rather a cd copy anyday to be honest.

the tracklist and album cover has been released, its a bit strange dr dre isnt one of the exec producers on the album considering its his debut, infact there's no dre beats at all and he was on video with dre in the studio working on this album..:confused:

Kendrick Lamar – Section 80 Tracklist

01. **** Your Ethnicity
    02. Hol’ Up
    03. A.D.H.D.
    04. No Makeup (Her Vice) (feat. Colin Munroe)
    05. Tammy’s Song (Her Evils)
    06. Chapter Six
    07. Ronald Reagan Era (His Evils) (feat. RZA)
    08. Poe Man Dreams (His Vice) (feat. GLC)
    09. The Spiteful Chant (feat. Schoolboy Q)
    10. Chapter Ten
    11. Keisha’s Song (Her Pain) (feat. Astro Bot)
    12. Rigamortis
    13. Kush & Corinthians (His Pain) (feat. BJ The Chicago Kid)
    14. Members Only
    15. Ab-Soul’s Outro
    16. HiiiiPoWeR

section80-cover.jpg

section80-back.jpg

Read more: http://www.killerhiphop.com/kendrick-lamar-section-80-tracklist-cover/#ixzz1Qkt9OiVZ

most of ye probably heard this, 1st single of the album.

this is one of my fav songs so far this year its of the album too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

HiiPoWer is incredible, can't wait for this album to drop

I heard J-Cole was supposed to be producing 90% of this project, he only has one beat on here though :confused:

On Dre and Kendrick working together, I read somewhere that he's saving those tracks for his next project

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

horsebox09 wrote: »
    HiiPoWer is incredible, can't wait for this album to drop

I heard J-Cole was supposed to be producing 90% of this project, he only has one beat on here though :confused:

On Dre and Kendrick working together, I read somewhere that he's saving those tracks for his next project

ye it is isnt it, its refreshing to hear this kind of music in todays hip hop, in fairness all the stuff he has released in the past has been quaility.
    ye it has to be, very strange for dre to put out a debut album from one of his new artists and not at least co-produce it i mean look at snoop,em,50,game etc they all had dre as a co-producer on there debuts.

im just wondering though is this actually going to be classed as his debut album? or is it like a teaser to his aftermath release... i mean it doesnt look like this is being released on aftermath/interscope maybe it is but he's getting little or no support from the label..:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

ye it is isnt it, its refreshing to hear this kind of music in todays hip hop, in fairness all the stuff he has released in the past has been quaility.

ye it has to be, very strange for dre to put out a debut album from one of his new artists and not at least co-produce it i mean look at snoop,em,50,game etc they all had dre as a co-producer on there debuts.

im just wondering though is this actually going to be classed as his debut album? or is it like a teaser to his aftermath release... i mean it doesnt look like this is being released on aftermath/interscope maybe it is but he's getting little or no support from the label..:confused:

Definitely man, it's especially refreshing to hear some quality West Coast hip hop again too

Thats true, Dre in the past had a hands on approach with his new artists and tried to do as much for them as he could, seems like he's reluctant to give much away about where his sound is at before Detox drops

See thats the thing, I don't have a clue whether these digital albums can be classed as debuts, I'm assuming it is his debut, BUT his retail debut (his 1st album that will be sold in stores) will the one to get more backing from the label, and some Dre beats :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Looking at the back of the album there's no mention of Aftermath so I'd say this isn't considered a label release. Maybe it's more like a tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

the tracklist and album cover has been released, its a bit strange dr dre isnt one of the exec producers on the album considering its his debut, infact there's no dre beats at all and he was on video with dre in the studio working on this album..:confused:
    very strange for dre to put out a debut album from one of his new artists and not at least co-produce it i mean look at snoop,em,50,game etc they all had dre as a co-producer on there debuts.

Section 80 is not a debut album/major label release, it's an independent release..more of a mixtape than anything else to be fair.

Also, I might have missed it, but is Lamar actually signed to a major label (Interscope/Aftermath)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,438 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

just listening to this, quite good so far, beats are good .

yep thats a banger alright i love it, i am a big jay rock fan its mad beause a few years ago jay, bishop and nipsey were considered the next big things from the west but they never really blew up, i hope the same doesnt happen for lamar although he is hugely talented and in fairness a step above jay and nipsey in my opinion ( i think bishop lamont is a beast i love his music) but never the less there is a good chance he could rot on the shelf with aftermath just like a lot of previous rappers have, we all know how fickle dre is.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,438 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gonna check this out, I think he's name has been putting me off, very rnb sounding haha.

<snip>

they just keep coming this is just different very original sound to it, this album is shaping up very nicely i must say im buzzin for it.

http://www.diversehiphop.com/blog/
    Gonna check this out, I think he's name has been putting me off, very rnb sounding haha.

LOL, trust me bud id say you would like him i highly recommend him, he's my fav rapper at the moment. check out the kendrick lamar EP and the OD mixtape they are quality.

• Advertisement

lemar talks the album,detox, j cole and more.

did anyone listen or get the album yet?

iv downloaded it but i cant open the *****n folder for itunes.

lamar done this rocawear add lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Section 80 is an amazing album, I've been listening to it none stop all week, I can't get enough of it!

I'm really looking forward to Good Kid in a Mad City now!

The guy is a monster on the mic! :pac:

Section 80 is an amazing album, I've been listening to it none stop all week, I can't get enough of it!

I'm really looking forward to Good Kid in a Mad City now!

The guy is a monster on the mic! :pac:

thats what i like to hear, im going to buy it on itunes monday cant wait to hear it.

looks like your going to get another album before good kid in a mad city, j cole has just confirmed that him and lamar are doing a collab album it was meant to be a mixtape but now its an album he says hip hop needs this.

cole and lamar duet album i can pretty much say it will be unreal and it isnt even out yet!

just listned to it dismornin its quality the best iv heard so far this year without a doubt.

lovin this

good video, game,snoop and dre passing down the torch to lamar the new king of the west coast :D.

raps his verse from the city on the red album too, nice video he deserves it his music is quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Just my opinion this is all fairly average, the beats are nice and some of the lyrics are nice but its drowned out by the repetition and random **** bars.

After reading most the thread if its more a mixtape then its not bad, he has potential as there was some very good bars but he needs to stop with the random repetition and **** bars he needs to cut it down and make it better in general but shorter.

Tammys Song (Her Evils) is garbage.

Monster Freestyle is nice, but with that ammount of cockiness you need better bars imo.

Just my opinion this is all fairly average, the beats are nice and some of the lyrics are nice but its drowned out by the repetition and random **** bars.

After reading most the thread if its more a mixtape then its not bad, he has potential as there was some very good bars but he needs to stop with the random repetition and **** bars he needs to cut it down and make it better in general but shorter.

Tammys Song (Her Evils) is garbage.

Monster Freestyle is nice, but with that ammount of cockiness you need better bars imo.

im not just saying it because im a big fan of his but i actually think he has a lot of substance behind his lyrics more so than a hell of a lot of rappers out right now.

but i respect your opinion im not going to slate it or debate it, everyone to there own.:)

the video for a.d.h.d is out now too.

Sure I suppose that depends on who place in the "lot of rappers out now".

I don't see him being seriously rated on any level besides snoop, game and dre backing him.
    But they back money, I doubt snoop is actually listening to it for content.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Danow247

Sure I suppose that depends on who place in the "lot of rappers out now".

I don't see him being seriously rated on any level besides snoop, game and dre backing him.
    But they back money, I doubt snoop is actually listening to it for content.

snoop would want to be listening to it for content & dre aswell.

they havent dropped a good record in years. especially snoop.

kendrick lamar will be huge regardless who is backing him. he is 1 of the hottest rap artists in the game right now. (j cole just ahead of him imo) and with the 2 of them set to release an album together next year they about to takeover. here is 2 snippets from there joint album or mixtape not confirmed yet. sounds amazing

• Advertisement

No offence but if you think either of these artists is even top 10 atm then you need to listen to better hip-hop (I would struggle to even call this hip-hop but thats me).

At best they are like Akon, Timbaland or maybe William. As in these are fairly average as far as rapping goes, and j cole and lamar are barely on their level even.

now i know your talking sh*t or just trying to stir up, to put lamar and cole in the same category as 2 glorified hook men in akon and william and a man better known for his beats than his rapping ability in timbaland is beyond stupid, akon is more of a singer than rapper, william is a pop star/bubblegum rapper and timbo produces music/pop star.

im starting to think you'v never listened to lamar properly after that comment.

but who in your opinion is in the top 10 atm? this should be interesting...

I have listened to everything in this thread, which is his best work (?) and have listened to some of j cole because he is mentioned so much.

Also the thrash "one liners" in the other thread.

Are you saying this is anything more than pop rap or club music mostly?
    Because thats what it sounds like, even the freestyles.

I have listened to everything in this thread, which is his best work (?) and have listened to some of j cole because he is mentioned so much.

Also the thrash "one liners" in the other thread.

Are you saying this is anything more than pop rap or club music mostly?
    Because thats what it sounds like, even the freestyles.

this thread is mostly if not all lamars work of his section 80 lp a digital album released about a month or so ago, in which has gotten great reviews throughout hip hop the reason for it not being recognized commercially is probably due to the fact that lamar isnt a commercial rapper.

i wouldn't class lamars music pop rap or club music how could you? the most commercialized piece of music lamar has ever released was hii power which is a solid hip hop track with no pop or techno ft,hook,beat etc.

for me lamar's best work is section 80 but thats just my personal opinion tracks like a.d.h.d, hii power, fu*k your ethnicity etc are imo some of the best material iv heard in 2011, section 80 turned me from a fan to a very big fan.

his older work is really good imo aswell, most people would probably consider his older stuff prior section 80 his best work the kendrick lamar EP and the overly Dedicated mixtape are quality and id recommend them to anyone, he has released a few more before them but i haven't heard them yet.

but iv got a problem with your previous comment i think its beyond stupid to put lamar and cole in the likes of william and the akon category when both are 2 of the most talked about young mc's in the game known for the substance and meaning behind there music which cant be said about 99.9 per cent of rappers out these days including the likes of snoop and jay z etc who constantly put out repetitive music aswell as pop and techno rubbish that cant be called hip hop.

"**** dowt **** dowt" (the accent and the style he says it is very commercial and club) I would say it is very club orientated the reason it not being commercial is its not particularly good. Several of his songs have great beats and good hooks.

Lyrical content is severely lacking.

Can you post up some of their best quotable lyrics that they are known for? Ones that show meaning and substance?

"**** dowt **** dowt" (the accent and the style he says it is very commercial and club) I would say it is very club orientated the reason it not being commercial is its not particularly good. Several of his songs have great beats and good hooks.

Lyrical content is severely lacking.

Can you post up some of their best quotable lyrics that they are known for? Ones that show meaning and substance?

i can and i will as soon as you give me your top 10 hip hop artists atm in which you say lamar and cole aren't worthy of.....

also your definition of real hip hop come on man you'l have to back that up...

you do that and back up your previous comments and il post up some lamar lryics and cole if you want that are worthy of being quotable...

This is a lamar kendrick thread, his top lyrics are suited to be posted here not my top hip-hop of 2011.

Off the top of my head I would say:
    swollen members, saigon, sahtyre, canibus, lupe fiasco, bad meets evil, the Game, slaughterhouse, sage francis, scroobius pip, immortal technique, flight distance and og hindu kush. Many from the "battle" scene make good music and lots of others.
    I dont do a top 10, it is impossible even if you don't do it in order.

This is nowhere near a complete or best list (mostly because they collaborated recently or i seen them in this forum recently).

This is a lamar kendrick thread, his top lyrics are suited to be posted here not my top hip-hop of 2011.

what are you on about? are you trying to say that because this is a lamar thread that we have to quote his lyrics....:confused:

Off the top of my head I would say:
    swollen members, saigon, sahtyre, canibus, lupe fiasco, bad meets evil, the Game, slaughterhouse, sage francis, scroobius pip, immortal technique, flight distance and og hindu kush. Many from the "battle" scene make good music and lots of others.
    I dont do a top 10, it is impossible even if you don't do it in order.

No offence but if you think either of these artists is even top 10 atm

your words not mine ^^^

half of those rappers you named above iv never heard of. To suggest the game is in the top 10 is a joke he's been struggling years and has just released a very average album, lupe's last album was poor, slaughterhouse have released fu*k all so far in 2011 really and bad meets evil is not a rapper just to let you know...

swollen members, sahtyre, scroobius pip, flight distance etc are all acts iv never heard of and with names like that i don't want to hear them to be honest.

im not a fan of canibus and don't listen to much of saigons new stuff to be honest so i cant say much...

im gona leave it here with you, if you don't like lamar its your own choice i couldn't care less really but you obviously don't know much about his music or hip hop music in general if your going to put him in akon and willams category.

I am not responding to you anymore, you obviously went through that whole post and looked for easy things to pick against.

Swollen members or bad meets evil is not an artist despite the fact I never said they were.

• Advertisement

I am not responding to you anymore, you obviously went through that whole post and looked for easy things to pick against.

Swollen members or bad meets evil is not an artist despite the fact I never said they were.

ok no problem we will leave it here:).

Advertisement