Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I ever find him? ** Charlie home safe!! **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

This is another lost dog site

I do hope you get him back safe & well
    lostandfound.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Have you put up loads of posters/signs in your area? ALl the local shops, garages etc. The more you have out the better. Contact all garda stations, vets etc in your area.

Our dog went missing few years ago and she was picked up miles away but she was actually brought back to the vets near us and we got a call so please dont give up hope x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Our cat was found six months later about. 15 or 20 miles away. Spotted him on animal rescue Facebook so keep checking everywhere. We were lucky as he was in the center two weeks and someone had an interest in really homing him
    Animal rescue couldn't afford a microchip scanner.Always donate when I can.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭awman

Thanks again everyone. Ya I've put up posters everywhere, in all the surrounding villages and towns. I've put them up in shops, petrol stations, near churches, schools, post offices, credit unions etc. I've put it up on lostandfound.ie, lostdogs.ie, limerick95fm website, ISPCA website. I've put it on a few animal welfare pages on facebook. I've rang the local animal shelter, the dog pound in Limerick, the dog warden, the local gardai, all the local vets. Its going to be in the local newspaper which is out on Thursday. I've driven all the roads, walked the fields, called to all the neighbours. I've gotten a few phone calls but they've all been false alarms. Breaks my heart cause I keep getting my hopes up when someone rings me and says they've seen a labrador on such a road and it turns out not to be Charlie. So upsetting.

Andreac - do you mind me asking how long your dog was missing for? Charlie is missing 6 days today so hope is fading with every passing day of ever finding him..... :(

She was missing for 3 days, but was found miles away from our house so she obviously just kept running. She got out one night when there was thunder and lightening and she must have been terrified and kept running.

Hang on in there and i really hope you find him. I know how heartbreaking it is not knowing where they are :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

my relative's dog went missing a couple of years ago. After 11 days she arrived back at the door early one morning, skinny and filthy but she's fine now. Don't give up hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

This story is really bothering me - I keep checking here like the poster above to see if there's any news.
    I really wish I could do something to help - and I will certainly say loads of prayers that Charlie comes home soon.
    Big hug to you from all of us pet lovers XX

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

OP what part of Limerick do you live in?
    I have put his pic on facebook with a photo and I'm FB friends with a good amount of rescue organisations that will share the info around, can you PM me if you don't want to post on here with a bit more info?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I saw Charlies pic on LAW's wall on FB, tried to share it as I am friends with a good few people from around that area, not sure why but it wouldn't let me share. See if you can fix it so as I could share it, would love to see this lad home with his family. Also I drive through the area every weekday, haven't seen any sign of him but will definitely keep a look out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 faceache

Definitely ring the pounds every couple of days, staff may only be part time so your details may not necessarily be passed on to all staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

My heart is breaking following this thread, I really hope you find Charlie.

You're doing everything you can.

Maybe try setting up one of those Facebook special pages for Charlie and getting it out there.These things have a way of going "Viral" so to speak. You could post it here then (if that's allowed) and we could all join.

I will keep everything crossed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

I've shared your post on Facebook so hopefully we'll keep it going round Limerick and it will eventually get to someone who's seen Charlie. Don't give up hope - with so many people praying for him, I'm sure he'll be home soon. Big hugs xxx

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'm also keeping an eye on this thread and hoping Charlie comes home safe and sound.
    My childhood dog, a GSD x, shoved past us when the front door was opened, and disappeared. He was FIFTEEN years old, and probably went off after a female in heat (neutering was unheard of back then).
    I put up posters, rang pounds, drove around, for several weeks, and rang the council in case they'd found a body.
    Four weeks later, I was several miles from home, out with my mam driving around, looking for him. Away in the far distance, we saw a familiar figure crossing the road. We couldn't believe our eyes! He was thin and disorientated, but we found him... Tears of joy all round!
    We'd had several reports of sightings in the area thanks to all the posters I'd put up, so could concentrate our search there.

A lady I know had a similar experience recently with a new rescue dog. Again, she was relentless in postering, making calls, driving around etc. She also got a number if false alarms, but eventually, after two weeks, was reunited with her dog (who hasn't let her new mammy out of her sight since!)

So don't give up. Keep pestering and postering. You never know when or how, but if you're relentless, there's a chance you'll find him. Bits of info will come in that will help you refine your search. You've got the ball rolling now, just don't let it stop.
    Good luck.

Ive shared Charlies pic on my facebook as well and so have lots of my doggy friends have done too. Really hope you get him back xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

There's also www.lostandfoundpets.ie They have a facebook page too so any animal put up on their system goes onto facebook.

Don't give up hope, we had a dog come into the rescue once and we scanned it and rang the owners, they said they hadn't got a dog so we described him and the person on the phone started crying, he had gone missing 3 years!!

Thank you all so much for being so kind. I've tears in my eyes from reading your lovely replies. I really really appreciate it.

Blogger50 - That's a good idea. I'll try setting up a special page on facebook dedicated the Charlie. If I can do it then i'll post it here (like you say, if that's allowed?)

meoklmrk91 - Not sure why it wouldnt let you share it cause I think people have shared it from that. I'll have a look at it now and see if I can change the settings or something.

Its going to be in the paper tomorrow so I'm hoping that that might stir up a few phone calls, maybe someone has found him and doesn't use facebook and hasnt seen my posters? Its all wishful thinking I know but I'm so desperate to find him. Its the not knowing what happened to him that's breaking my heart. I can't imagine someone stealing an 11 year old dog?? My family are worried that i'm just prolonging the pain but I cant stop thinking about him. Where did he go? It's all I can think about.

The fact that he's an old dog worries me. If he did wander off and got lost, I can't imagine him finding his way back. His eye sight is not what it used to be (eyes are cloudy) and I dont think his sense of smell is great either (you know when they're begging for food and you throw them down the corner off your slice of toast - Charlie would always spend a minute or two looking for it, even though it would be right in front of him), the misfortune :(

angelfire9 - i'll pm you now.

Thanks again everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭saleda

My heart goes out to you. I've been following this thread since you started it and I'm sure there are many other silent watchers all hoping for some good news. When I saw you'd just posted, my heart even skipped a beat. You're doing absolutely everything you can and I really hope this story has a positive and happy ending... best of luck xx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Just wanted to let you know that I was able to share the pic last night. And like I said i will keep an eye out. Making a fb page especially for him is a great idea. Fingers crossed charlie comes home safe and sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

Thanks for keeping us all updated at what must be an awful time for you.

There are a lot of good people on this forum who will be thinking of Charlie every day until he comes home.

If you do the Facebook page and post the link I will personally harass and abuse all my Facebook friends until they share it ;)

Thinking of you and Charlie.

B

P.S if the Mods dont allow you post the link to the FB page you can always PM people with it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Have you checked buy and sell websites? Think donedeal/adverts.ie/gumtree etc who knows some chance may have picked him up and decided to try to make a bit of money off him by selling him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

My heart goes out to you, my fella got out twice out the front door and my heart was in my mouth until he was back safe inside the house. My terrier's name is Charlie too. :( Did I miss where the facebook page or photo was to share it? I know a few people in college down in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

really hoping your dog is home soon.

I know you are in Limerick but also check rescues in Kerry as well. If someone picked him up they could drop off anywhere.

Keeping looking and keep asking Im sure you will find him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Suggest you get access to a photo copier and print as many "Lost Dog" posters as you can (with a picture of your Dog), then tape them to every Lamp Post/ Bus Stop & pole you can fine in a five mile radious . . .

Good luck, my heart goes out to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭saleda

Just a thought, I know you tried your local radio station, but have you tried 2fm, maybe Colm Hayes' morning programme? Not sure if they have the same policy, but it might be worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Hooked

My heart goes out to you... Myself and my fella were just back from our morning run, flicking through the Limerick Post over breakfast when I saw Charlies picture in the missing pets section.

I know its feck all consolation... Just wanted to let you know I'll have my eyes peeled for him when we're out over the weekend.

Thanks again to everyone for all your replies. Well I put a notice in the local paper today (2 local papers) but unfortunately still have not found him. I'm not working tomorrow so i think i might try put up some more posters and maybe walk the fields again. Don't know if i'm fooling myself about finding him at this stage. My husband is telling me to stop obsessing and to start understanding that I'll most likely never see him again (bit harsh if you ask me) but I can't accept it. I've set up a fb page dedicated to finding Charlie (well I think i've it done right anyway). I think if you type in facebook.com/missinglabradorcharlie it should come up. If ye try it and it works, let me know cause i'm not really sure if i've done it properly.

Thanks again everyone. Keep on praying and crossing ye're fingers for him.

Dont give up hope. It could be that someone has him and has taken him in. Thats why you need to put up as many posters etc everywhere. Someone might see the poster then and get in touch.

Ive liked the page and i know loads have shared the other link from the Limerick Animal Welfare page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

Don't give up Awman...the fact is Charlie is out there somewhere, and by keeping all lines of communication open, you are far more likely to find him! I know people think they are helping by saying you need to move on and forget but you need to do what you feel is best for him! I really hope there is some good news soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Lambing season, is there a chance your dog was spotted in a field and got shot?
    Then dumped in a ditch

Your neighbours farms don't have sheep but he could have strayed a bit further.

Sorry to blunt, just my first reaction
    Yeah my post seems horrible but it's possible

Talk to the farmers, they're all in contact with each other and may know something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

OP dont give up hope!!!!

My friends spaniel went missing nearly two months ago and he was spotted in a neighbouring town ( about 10 miles away) just yesterday. He hasn't been caught yet but at least he has been spotted and now we have a more definite area to concentrate our searches!

It just goes to show how resilient dogs can be and how far they can wander, so keep putting the word out and put posters up EVERYWHERE, contact vets in your area, builders providers, postmen, any co-ops, groomers, schools, delivery drivers etc etc.

Advertisement