Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God of War Ascension

• 19-04-2012 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

New god of war title has being revealed as ascension , not 4 .. Its a prequel to the trilogy which makes no sense to me cause i thought chains of olympus was a prequel.. So sony decided to make a prequel game of a prequel
    Seems like milking to me , they should of just left it alone after three, why we need another kratos story is beyond me
    Sony reaching hard to find our moneys , im dissapointed to say the least..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Bit disappointed that its a prequel, but then I guess there aren't really many places to go after 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Would have like to see them move on from Kartos and Greek mythology to Roman or even Ceiltic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I would have liked someone trying to kill Kratos, considering all the death and destruction he caused. It would be an interesting twist on the formula as well imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Im curious about how much ret-conning theyre gonna do from what we've already been told through the games.

And on a side note, did anyone else think the oul one saying "God of War *dramatic pause* Ascension" at the end of that was completely unnecessary :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As long as I get to kill things I don't mind. After God of War 1 the story was absolutely atrocious and Kratos is one of the most idiotic and unlikeable protagonists of every game. In GoW2 were we actually supposed to feel sorry for him because as far as I could tell he acted like a complete bellend and got his just desserts only to have the mother of all tantrums. What an absolute cock.

But if it's fun I'll play it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

God of War is always fun with some fantastic set pieces (the Titan battles in particular)

I'm just disappointed at the lack of gameplay. I don't need to see a announcement for teaser for a trailer for a game. Skip the first two steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So before he started on Ares and co, who did he go after? I have the GoW collection volume 2 at home to play. I'm guessing whichever gods or titans he didn't kill in the 3 main games, he killed in the PSP games. Unless this one is going to be similar to Spartan Total Warrior and be more earth armies than anything else

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As long as I get to kill things I don't mind. After God of War 1 the story was absolutely atrocious and Kratos is one of the most idiotic and unlikeable protagonists of every game. In GoW2 were we actually supposed to feel sorry for him because as far as I could tell he acted like a complete bellend and got his just desserts only to have the mother of all tantrums. What an absolute cock.

But if it's fun I'll play it!

its nice to be a complete dickhead in games sometimes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The only God of War game I didn't think was entirely overrated was Ghost of Sparta (never played CoO), which was a surprisingly focused game that played to the series' strengths while not overstaying its welcome or trying to distract from the lack of depth or variety with over-indulgent setpieces.

So therefore the idea of a prequel does not automatically fill me with fear. But as a franchise I still think it's entirely disposable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

its nice to be a complete dickhead in games sometimes

There's being a complete dickhead in a game (Dungeon Keeper being a fine examples) and then there's playing a whining little **** that got his bottom spanked by Zeus for being bold and then threw his toys out of the pram, the only difference between this whiny little **** and Kratos was that when Kratos has a tantrum, things die. There should at least be a shred of player empathy for the character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

There's being a complete dickhead in a game (Dungeon Keeper being a fine examples) and then there's playing a whining little **** that got his bottom spanked by Zeus for being bold and then threw his toys out of the pram, the only difference between this whiny little **** and Kratos was that when Kratos has a tantrum, things die. There should at least be a shred of player empathy for the character.

Tell him that to his face...

He can't hear me through the TV screen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

417.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Oh good it's not just me then, I've hardly even touched the series just because I immediately thought he was a total douche. :p

He can't hear me through the TV screen.

I doubt thats stopped any of us shouting at the screen before

I doubt thats stopped any of us shouting at the screen before

Yeah, it has :pac:

Yeah, it has :pac:

You sir are a liar :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I wish they made these games multi-platform.

I wish they made these games multi-platform.

Theyre made by Sonys own studio

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Kratos is a boss lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I always find it funny when people complain about Kratos being a dick and constantly shouting. It's not like he's God of Bunnies and Flowers. :)
    But to be honest, I understand the story so far to be "Wife and daughter killed and ashes stuck to him. And because of that he went after Ares. from there he got bored being a God, interfered in something, got kicked out and wasn't happy about that and so wanted revenge on the big boss. And kill the titans for the hell of it"

So not like I'm heavily invested. Because to me they're just fun hack and slash games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Tbh I never cared about the God of War storyline. Just enjoyed the gameplay. Therefore I don't care if this is a prequel or whatever, just happy there's another GoW coming.

Theyre made by Sonys own studio

I understand this, but they could make a lot more money if they sold rights to microsoft or nintendo. Imagine a world where these companies worked together. Sure they could release on Playstation but what about a year later when people on playstation stopped buying, sell the rights to the other companies and blamo new sales revenues.
    Its not like to happen but still it would be pretty sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

What ever happened about the story of Krotos' brother who was locked in hell? Or was that a fake trailer? Or am I misremembering? Or was that a dream?

[EDIT]Oh, never mind that was the plot to Ghost of Sparta[/EDIT]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

cant wait, prob my fav series ever in gaming bar call of duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Nikky_Bellic

Can't help but feel Sony and Santa Monica Studios regret their choice to
    Kill Kratos in God of War 3
    and since the franchise makes too much money they simply cant stop making more. So why not make a prequel to a prequel (Urgh :o) I imagine they feel its too risky to introduce a new main character too.

ALSO cant help but feel the choice to return to the Greek Mytholgy/Kratos universe is due to the recent big box office revenues of Clash of the titans 1 and 2 ;) which funny enough "borrow" so much from the god of war games :pac:

Can't help but feel Sony and Santa Monica Studios regret their choice to
    Kill Kratos in God of War 3
    and since the franchise makes too much money they simply cant stop making more. So why not make a prequel to a prequel (Urgh :o) I imagine they feel its too risky to introduce a new main character too.
    Id rewatch that ending if I were you :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Nikky_Bellic

Id rewatch that ending if I were you :P

oh ;)
    its been a while since i played the game. think i played and completed it when it came out two years ago... question is why not continue then?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

I understand this, but they could make a lot more money if they sold rights to microsoft or nintendo. Imagine a world where these companies worked together. Sure they could release on Playstation but what about a year later when people on playstation stopped buying, sell the rights to the other companies and blamo new sales revenues.
    Its not like to happen but still it would be pretty sweet.

Not likely, they would make way more money just selling their own hardware to people who have to if they want to play this game. :pac: Plus on top of that you have the whole corporate image thing, you have several great I.P.'s that people associate with your product, why whore it out?

• Advertisement

NinjaK wrote: »
    cant wait, prob my fav series ever in gaming bar call of duty.

LOL :pac:

Advertisement