Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoganstand.Com

• 01-02-2011 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

You ever post on it ?

Have to say, I'm a big shtar on it myself, but the site layout is quite poor.

It's got some fantastic contributers though. The wit and banter would never be replicated here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

'Wit' is an overstatement. Full of clueless contributors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Orizio wrote: »

Not often that you and I agree on something.

It's got the greatest amount of WUMs that you're ever likely to come across and very little in the way of meaningful contributions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Folks,

We all have thoughts on how other sites run and the contributions of their members to those sites, etc. etc. but I don't think boards is the place to discuss other forums, if you have a problem with the other site, either ignore it or bring it up on their site, I don't want to start an inter-domain slagging match, after all we're all just interested in GAA after all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I joined it during the weeks before Galway-Tipp last year in hurling. Actully found the posters to be very nice and helpful to me as a n00b over there but there was a bit of bickering between some of the older members.

I prefer using this forum because its more convenient and more fun stuff like prediction threads etc.

So all in all I like both although I'm a lurker over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I do post on it myself sometimes, but there's too many troll's and childish posters on it. A lot of the genuine, long term posters have left it, which is a shame, there used to be great debates on it years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭DCUlad

Orizio wrote: »

I tend not to agree. Comparing the Boards GAA threads and Hoganstand, it apperars there is more knowledge, wit, banter on HS.

Here it seems to be people just agreeing with each other all the time.

I'll agree with the few that said HS has too many children on it. But i think it's worth listening to the childer for the amount of greats.

Numerious former posters on HS have left alright. They can now be found at gaatipster.ie
    It's got a very limited amount of posters, but the ones on it are fantastic.
    By far the best GAA board for debate by a country mile.
    Advise any of youse to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

DCUlad wrote: »
    I tend not to agree. Comparing the Boards GAA threads and Hoganstand, it apperars there is more knowledge, wit, banter on HS.

I'll agree with the few that said HS has too many children on it. But i think it's worth listening to the childer for the amount of greats.

Numerious former posters on HS have left alright. They can now be found at gaatipster.ie

I wasn't comparing here to HS - generally the best GAA websites tend to be the county ones, like rebelgaa, res dubs, premierview etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

no full of know it alls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

I see there was a clever "whodunnit" whereby Ballboy from Mayo disappeared only to come back as Liathroidboy also from Mayo.

The site is great in general but the forum...well enough said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Nothing will ever bayte upthedeise in its heyday. Lord I did some blagguarding on that site.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JP09

HS can be good/funny sometimes after big matches for the different opinions (good, bad and funny!)
    wit can get very sarcastic on it tho! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭rpurfield

i generally only stick to the meath page but i find while youll get info and some good debate they let blatant wumming go on.there was something being said about our club on it one day and i posted up a fact to rubbish whatever it was saying id got it off an executive member,the post wouldve stopped a load of rubbish being spouted but the mods there pulled it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

rpurfield wrote: »
    i generally only stick to the meath page but i find while youll get info and some good debate they let blatant wumming go on.there was something being said about our club on it one day and i posted up a fact to rubbish whatever it was saying id got it off an executive member,the post wouldve stopped a load of rubbish being spouted but the mods there pulled it!

I wonder why the mods allow so much trolling/wumming on the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 jujamax

hoganstand always full of juvinile comments.
    gaaboards or this one are the only ones i look up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

I look at it regularly, post on it sometimes. I stick to my own co forum tho, and even on that we get idiots from neighbouring co's posting there stirring up crap. Don't get why the mods there can't stop that.

Gaaboard is actually pretty good too, even if most of posters are from Ulster or Mayo/Sligo it seems!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I'm not a fan of the forum and probably never will be, but in terms of its news content it's absolutely second to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

blackbelt wrote: »
    I see there was a clever "whodunnit" whereby Ballboy from Mayo disappeared only to come back as Liathroidboy also from Mayo.

The site is great in general but the forum...well enough said.

Yes I remeember him! He got banned me thinks as ballboy! I think that was not longer after Hoganstand posted an article on the 1st of April about the GAA poaching aussie players; it was lengendary seeing him getting caught out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

7. The average age of posters on that Forum. The quality of trolls on it is akin to the Billy Goats Gruff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

hehehehehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭DCUlad

aDeener wrote: »
    hehehehehe

Ok, good point.

But I would argue that I am more of a HS man, so i have an argumentative side in me.

Like in fairness, the volume of posts here on this is pathetic.
    There is little interesting discussion, mainly because the stereotypical boards poster (a nerd) does not do GAA.

In terms of HS, whats your favourite, least favourite user people?

Also in relation to bans, I can confirm that I myself have being banned from HS. This did not deter me, as the following day I set up a new user name and have being posting since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Ok, good point.

But I would argue that I am more of a HS man, so i have an argumentative side in me.

Like in fairness, the volume of posts here on this is pathetic.
    There is little interesting discussion, mainly because the stereotypical boards poster (a nerd) does not do GAA.

In terms of HS, whats your favourite, least favourite user people?

Also in relation to bans, I can confirm that I myself have being banned from HS. This did not deter me, as the following day I set up a new user name and have being posting since.

i don't read the forums just the news section so i cant really comment, but the seldom time i do look through them it tends to be juvenile nonsense that is posted.

gaaboard and an fear rua would be where id be reading for interesting discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

There can be some great threads but a lot of bickering and childishness in the debates.

A lot of the former best contributors to the site and some of the best current contributors have moved on to GaaTipster, you have to sign up to access all the content but it's a fantastic site for quality discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Sugarfree

There can be some great threads but a lot of bickering and childishness in the debates.

A lot of the former best contributors to the site and some of the best current contributors have moved on to GaaTipster, you have to sign up to access all the content but it's a fantastic site for quality discussion.

Hoganstand isnt great but then either is Gaatispter a good majority of the posters are teenagers and the other contributors arent great at all anfearrua is another one I advoid. Gaaboard is a good one but the best GAA site for me is www.mayogaablog.com

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Scallion 'ater

Where is hoganstand.com gone? I can't access it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭hurling_lad

Stevecw wrote: »
    Gaaboard is actually pretty good too, even if most of posters are from Ulster or Mayo/Sligo it seems!!

Hadn't looked at that site in ages and a glance at the front page reminds me why it's been so long: 234 posts in the Mayo v Down thread and 35 posts in the Cork v Kerry thread.

They seem to have the same interest in any football happening south of Laois as they would have in American football. Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Anyone go onto An Fear Rua?

I think that it's very good...well far ahead of hoganstand anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Sugarfree wrote: »
    Hoganstand isnt great but then either is Gaatispter a good majority of the posters are teenagers and the other contributors arent great at all anfearrua is another one I advoid. Gaaboard is a good one but the best GAA site for me is www.mayogaablog.com

GaaTipster is mostly teenagers? I don't think so now, it's mostly the older Hoganstand Posters that post there. Gaaboard is very good too for club discussion especially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Sugarfree

GaaTipster is mostly teenagers? I don't think so now, it's mostly the older Hoganstand Posters that post there. Gaaboard is very good too for club discussion especially.

Its a poor poor website, and from just having another quick look there is about five or six regular users. Poor discussion and yes the majority of them seem to be teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭yew_tree

We aren't all gobeens on HS you know....some good posters but you will always have a few that ruins it for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The thing that annoys me the most about hoganstand.com is that the forum closes at 10pm. With work and a small baby it's usually late at night by the time I can get some time on the net but the forum is closed by then so it's a pain. Also seems to be a lot of trolls on there just looking to stir it up. Don't like to layout/format of the forum either.

Advertisement