Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle/ Super Middle 1990-present

• 19-08-2012 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Who are the best out of the vast amount of middle and super middle champs to come frm Ireland since 1990?

Steve collins, ray close, brian magee, sam storey, john duddy, andy lee, matthew macklin, jim rock? Anyone else im missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Only one other i see Henry Coyle won at Castlebar the other night, won 18 lost 2,though not in same league that you mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 37,336 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Terry Christle comes to mind although he might have been a bit earlier than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Steve Collins definitely, was avoided most his career and when he got his shot showed why.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,500 ✭✭✭✭walshb

When Steve got his shot he was beaten. McCallum beat him fairly widely! He then lost a couple of years later to Reggie Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

walshb wrote: »
    When Steve got his shot he was beaten. McCallum beat him fairly widely! He then lost a couple of years later to Reggie Johnson.

When he fought mike he was a relative novice and gave mike a hell of a fight-mike was avoided by everyone back then too, this fight is a plus on the Collins cv not a minus.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,500 ✭✭✭✭walshb

cowzerp wrote: »
    When he fought mike he was a relative novice and gave mike a hell of a fight-mike was avoided by everyone back then too, this fight is a plus on the Collins cv not a minus.

I thought Mike beat him fairly well. And he was about 15 or 16 fights into the career. A wee bit green, but far from a begineer or novice. I admire Collins a lot for his toughness and chin and stamina and heart, and at times he could be quite nice to watch; too many times he was not nice to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lefthook84

For what its worth on this list I would have
    1. Collins
    2. Close
    3. Magee
    4. Macklin
    5. Lee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

barney4001 wrote: »
    Only one other i see Henry Coyle won at Castlebar the other night, won 18 lost 2,though not in same league that you mentioned

Although I hear Coyle beat Marcelo Rodriguez decisively you would be expecting to knock out a guy who has been knocked out in 2 rounds by a fighter with a 3-12-0 record, and in 2 rounds by a guy with a 4-4-0 record, and in 2 rounds by a guy with a 4-2-0 record...

Im fairly sure Steve Collins had a brother who also boxed maybe in USA

Just looked up boxrec there was a Pascal Collins from dublin middle /light heavy boxed in usa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Big Ears

barney4001 wrote: »
    Just looked up boxrec there was a Pascal Collins from dublin middle /light heavy boxed in usa

:D There was a Paschal.

Paschal is still around, he trains Stephen Ormond, Gary 'Spike' O'Sullivan and Ian Tims.

Advertisement