Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy F1 car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

freestyla wrote: »
    Something fun for dry track days

FERRARI FORMULA 1 RACE CAR ORIGINAL 1991 SCUDERIA RACED by JEAN ALESI

US $975,000.00

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FERRARI-FORMULAR-1-RACE-CAR-ORIGINAL1991-SCUDERIA-FERRAR-F1-RACED-JEAN-ALESI-/160789887039?pt=Race_Cars_Not_Street_Legal_&hash=item256fd2f83f

Maybe Jordan191 is interested? beautiful early 90s car..

Whip a 1.9TDI in there and you got quite a daily commute.

I joke of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

It sure is beautiful, comes with a 7 speed semi auto gearbox and most importantly it has a V12 motor.

Alain Prost wasn't fond of it at all though, and was fired over comments he made about it...

Btw, there's a moose behind the wheel in some of the pics.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The steering wheel looks so simple... :eek:

The steering wheel looks so simple... :eek:

Doesn't it just. 2 buttons at the front and the paddle shifters at the back.

Ferrari 642 (1991) steering wheel:

1991-Ferrari-F1-Tipo-642-4.jpg

Ferrari F1 2012 steering wheel:

foto%206.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Have often looked at the sites selling F1 cars (spending my hypothetical lotto winnings :pac:), more modern cars than that Ferrari are regularly up for much less. Would love to know what having one for track days would actually set you back in running costs. I'd say keeping engines in them would be the stuff of nightmares.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

US $975,000.00

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FERRARI-FORMULAR-1-RACE-CAR-ORIGINAL1991-SCUDERIA-FERRAR-F1-RACED-JEAN-ALESI-/160789887039?pt=Race_Cars_Not_Street_Legal_&hash=item256fd2f83f

There's a shop less than 5 minutes walk from me with not only F1 cars for sale (one from the 50s, one from the 70s at present) but also cars that competed at Le Mans, a BMW M1, a De Tomaso Pantera, a whole flock of Ferraris, a Jaguar XJ220, and various more modest cars like Fiat 124 Spiders, Bristols, AC Cobras and so forth...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Now found it, well just on youtube, but here you get car, truck and mechanics (and Alesi as instructor!) for a occassional track day.. can't find anywhere how much this fun costs.. would remember around 200-300 grands?

Lotus T125
    Cosworth V8, meh.. only 10.500rpm but 640hp @ 600kg is still thrill

Monty, wheres that shop mate? want to come there to check out.. closer to my Lotto fantasies :)

The one in the OP doesn't look like it's been well looked after, tyres look completely bald.

Ficus wrote: »
    http://www.racecarsdirect.com is usually well stocked with F1 cars for sale ;)

I see that they have a 3 seat Arrows up for sale.

10459.jpg

Monty, wheres that shop mate? want to come there to check out.. closer to my Lotto fantasies :)
    This is the one. Tucked away in a suburb, you'd never know it was such a goldmine of exotic and classic cars...

• Advertisement

Ficus wrote: »
    http://www.racecarsdirect.com is usually well stocked with F1 cars for sale ;)

:eek: Ex Ayrton Senna 1984 Toleman TG-184-2
    http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listing/42704/ex_ayrton_senna_1984_toleman_tg_184_2.html
    Jordan 191 wrote: »
    I see that they have a 3 seat Arrows up for sale.

10459.jpg

For family track days :pac: actually looks awful.. like some sort of mutant of single seater and chinese multihead dragon props

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

US $975,000.00

I wonder will it pass the NCT? I wouldn't mind taking it for a test drive either before I buy it.
    For family track days :pac: actually looks awful.. like some sort of mutant of single seater and chinese multihead dragon props
    Handy for bringing the kids to school ;)

Lol. Arrows weren't the only team to have a 3 seater car. Ferrari & Renault had them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Lol. Arrows weren't the only team to have a 3 seater car. Ferrari & Renault had them too.

Thanks for this Jordan. I knew of 2 seater F1s but not 3 seaters. They look really nice, but they'd be useless for Q3 with all that extra weight. :D

Mickey H wrote: »
    Thanks for this Jordan. I knew of 2 seater F1s but not 3 seaters. They look really nice, but they'd be useless for Q3 with all that extra weight. :D

You're welcome Mr. H :D

McLaren were the first team to have a 2 seater car, followed by Minardi and Arrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭BenMicheal

In fairness tho, if you had a milion to spend on an F1 car - The Alesi's Ferrari probably wouldnt be top of your list tho?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

If I were to buy an ex-F1 Ferrari then it would be this baby - a year before the one posted by the OP

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/28/alain-prosts-fated-ferrari-641-2-f1-car-under-the-hammer-at-mar/

I saw this particular car race at Silverstone and sound of its Tipo V12 was music....

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

shamwari wrote: »
    If I were to buy an ex-F1 Ferrari then it would be this baby - a year before the one posted by the OP

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/28/alain-prosts-fated-ferrari-641-2-f1-car-under-the-hammer-at-mar/

I saw this particular car race at Silverstone and sound of its Tipo V12 was music....

Interesting quote in the description of that add.

"Senna was on pole, Prost right next to him. The lights flashed green, both drivers sped into the first corner where Senna closed the door on Prost and the two collided. Their race was over, and the title was handed to Senna."

Funny i seem to remember it being the opposite way round.

guyfo wrote: »
    Interesting quote in the description of that add.

"Senna was on pole, Prost right next to him. The lights flashed green, both drivers sped into the first corner where Senna closed the door on Prost and the two collided. Their race was over, and the title was handed to Senna."

Funny i seem to remember it being the opposite way round.
    Is that you, Ayrton?

Is that you, Ayrton?

Um he's right though, the quote is bollocks.
    Prost was in front coming into the first corner when Senna made a move most agree was intended to take them both out.

I guess the writer of that article was one of the few people who think Senna actually intended to make that corner and just got his names mixed up.

• Advertisement

Um he's right though, the quote is bollocks.
    Um...it was a joke. :)

Um...it was a joke. :)

Jokes are supposed to be funny.

Jokes are supposed to be funny.
    No call for that tbh.

No call for that tbh.

Your comment about it being a joke was snide.
    Not going to post anything more on it, don't want to bring thread any further off topic.

Your comment about it being a joke was snide.
    Yes, that was why I put a smiley face there - the universal sign of sarkiness. :rolleyes:

A bargain hehe

Respect for the fact Schumi got his first points with it but only 640hp is not so F1 territory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Anyone remember that guy who built his own BAR/Honda from collecting used parts? Came to something relatively cheap pricewise.

A bargain hehe

Respect for the fact Schumi got his first points with it but only 640hp is not so F1 territory

It said in the advert that the power output of the Cosworth HB used in the Benetton during the 1991 season was 730bhp, but the one in the car that's been sold has 640bhp, so that has to be an older spec HB engine, used by Benetton around 1989/1990.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

PJTierney wrote: »
    Anyone remember that guy who built his own BAR/Honda from collecting used parts? Came to something relatively cheap pricewise.

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9325&hilit=ra107&start=240

Buying an F1 car, esp a rolling chassis can be pretty cheap. Getting it to the track, safely and running it is not, esp with carbon fire suspension parts. They need to be checked with cracks with an ultrasound (effectively), visual inspection will not suffice. Miss a crack and I think you can guess what happens.

Advertisement