Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Che Guevara Statue In Galway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

che, the dictator. :D:D

says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Ah yes, a holiday destination, that means it's ok. One of my mates is just back from China, another holiday destination, another from Egypt. But the must be ok, they're holiday destinations.
    You can have a good time in any of these countrys on holidays, but seriously, if you think the biggest drawback of living in Cuba is having no McDonalds, you're seriously deluding yourself.
    Have a look at the press freedom index: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Press_Freedom_Index
    I'm guessing you'd come back from a guided tour of North Korea and think the place is tickety boo. I'm still waiting for you to call us "sheeple" for thinking Cuba is an opressive dictatorship

Sums up the modern liberal really doesn't it? Who cares if people have food, jobs or homes because if they don't have press freedom it must be horrific to live there. If I had the choice between living in Cuba or their capitalist neighbour Haiti, I know which i'd pick.

Remarkably low infant mortality compared to others in Latin America and virtually no illiteracy also.

But yeah, without press freedom, you might as well be in hell.

Its sad to think that people can only make a judgement on what they hear from others, with absolutely no iota of what the reality is. To put it mildly, if you compare Ireland to Cuba, it's Ireland that would come out as the "developing" country - Cuba is miles ahead in nearly every aspect of life. I have to laugh at the posts on here from people that makes is so obvious in their posts that they have actually no idea what they are talking about. But I suppose you have armchair judges everywhere. But they're good for a laugh. :D

Its sad to think that people can only make a judgement on what they hear from others, with absolutely no iota of what the reality is. To put it mildly, if you compare Ireland to Cuba, it's Ireland that would come out as the "developing" country - Cuba is miles ahead in nearly every aspect of life. I have to laugh at the posts on here from people that makes is so obvious in their posts that they have actually no idea what they are talking about. But I suppose you have armchair judges everywhere. But they're good for a laugh. :D

you should also try to educate yourself on your statements about cubans not being allowed to travel. And remember, while you are getting the tidbits of "news" from the media that they want you to hear, there is actual life happening behind the scenes that you obviously know nothing about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

HoggyRS wrote: »
    Sums up the modern liberal really doesn't it? Who cares if people have food, jobs or homes because if they don't have press freedom it must be horrific to live there. If I had the choice between living in Cuba or their capitalist neighbour Haiti, I know which i'd pick.

Remarkably low infant mortality compared to others in Latin America and virtually no illiteracy also.

It is typical of the mindset of the Stalinist, however, to sacrifice freedom for "the economy", even though communism is not only guaranteed a prison State but a sh*t economy. But I am glad you came on, as you are typical of the stomach churning totalitarian nature of Marxists ( and their close ideological neighbours, the Fascists). Free speech and political rights be damned, its all about the economy. Get the trains working on time, get everybody employed - and am I talking about Marxism, or Nazzism here, isn't it hard to tell - and nobody needs any rights at all.

And Haiti is a basket case. Why not choose Sweden vs Cuba? Most "capitalist" regimes have 30-40% state involvement, and the top capitalist states are 10 times richer per capita than Cuba. And illiteracy has been elimated. You don't need a communist dictatorship to have free healthcare, Marxists love dictatorships because it is in their totalitarian blood to love dictatorships. At least for other people, preferable brown, or Asian.

Once again a major fetish for Cuba from somebody reluctant to live there. Why aren't you there? If communism is so great, why not live there? I keep asking this, I keep getting no answer. People leave Ireland all the time for capitalist countries they prefer - Canada, Australia, the US. And they say, before they go, that those countries are better. No lover of communism has ever emigrated to communism. Its great for the people living there. But not for you.
    you should also try to educate yourself on your statements about cubans not being allowed to travel. And remember, while you are getting the tidbits of "news" from the media that they want you to hear, there is actual life happening behind the scenes that you obviously know nothing about.

( You quoted yourself).

I am sure that some Cubans are allowed to travel if they are high up members of the regime. However people flee the Island on make shift boats, so hellish is the prison camp, so clear their desire to leave. They risk their lives to leave a place you fetish And I get my "tidbits" from a free press, and a free internet - the one where you can praise Cuba all you want.

If anything, like all dictatorships, we don't get the full story. When the Soviets were killing millions, your ilk were justifying that too, as the people who believed in the killings were getting "tidbits". Even the serious press - the New YOrk TImes did.

If anything Cuba is fetished. A right wing dictator with the same policies - and Cuba is only 70% State employed now, fascists tend to have large States too - would be excoriated. But Marxists can't pass a tyranny they don't love at least for other people.

• Advertisement

Heres comparison of Ireland's economy vs Cuba. Clearly we wipe their backsides. Still they are better than Haiti, but so is most of the world.

http://www.nationmaster.com/compare/Cuba/Ireland/Economy

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Palmach

What is sad is that you post this tripe on a message board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭talkinyite

haha they must really hate Dublin then since that's were the viral red, white and black painting of Che came from :p

It is typical of the mindset of the Stalinist, however, to sacrifice freedom for "the economy", even though communism is not only guaranteed a prison State but a sh*t economy. But I am glad you came on, as you are typical of the stomach churning totalitarian nature of Marxists ( and their close ideological neighbours, the Fascists). Free speech and political rights be damned, its all about the economy. Get the trains working on time, get everybody employed - and am I talking about Marxism, or Nazzism here, isn't it hard to tell - and nobody needs any rights at all.

And Haiti is a basket case. Why not choose Sweden vs Cuba? Most "capitalist" regimes have 30-40% state involvement, and the top capitalist states are 10 times richer per capita than Cuba. And illiteracy has been elimated. You don't need a communist dictatorship to have free healthcare, Marxists love dictatorships because it is in their totalitarian blood to love dictatorships. At least for other people, preferable brown, or Asian.

Once again a major fetish for Cuba from somebody reluctant to live there. Why aren't you there? If communism is so great, why not live there? I keep asking this, I keep getting no answer. People leave Ireland all the time for capitalist countries they prefer - Canada, Australia, the US. And they say, before they go, that those countries are better. No lover of communism has ever emigrated to communism. Its great for the people living there. But not for you.

( You quoted yourself).

I am sure that some Cubans are allowed to travel if they are high up members of the regime. However people flee the Island on make shift boats, so hellish is the prison camp, so clear their desire to leave. They risk their lives to leave a place you fetish And I get my "tidbits" from a free press, and a free internet - the one where you can praise Cuba all you want.

If anything, like all dictatorships, we don't get the full story. When the Soviets were killing millions, your ilk were justifying that too, as the people who believed in the killings were getting "tidbits". Even the serious press - the New YOrk TImes did.

If anything Cuba is fetished. A right wing dictator with the same policies - and Cuba is only 70% State employed now, fascists tend to have large States too - would be excoriated. But Marxists can't pass a tyranny they don't love at least for other people.

lol,with all your hatred for something you have no idea about,it's a wonder you don't take your little self off and live in little havana in South Florida....well? :o

lol,with all your hatred for something you have no idea about,it's a wonder you don't take your little self off and live in little havana in South Florida....well? :o

I don't live in Ireland, and I have lived in the US. So I have actually left Ireland for a different country ( which is better in many respects, but not in all).

so I

1) Wanted to see the world.
    2) Have lived abroad.
    3) Have lived in the US and the UK.

I have also visited dozens of countries, however I give dictatorships a miss where possible.

You

1) Love Cuba
    2) Cuba is the best place ever
    3) Cuba is the bestest place ever, ever in the history of the world, and dictatorships are brilliant.
    4) Still live in Ireland.

Wy are you still there, in Ireland. If Cuba is so good why are you not in Cuba?

• Advertisement

wrong, honey, so wrong. listen, you can raise your blood pressure here all your want trying to answer things you know nothing about. In the meantime those who actually know what they are talking about are just nodding their head and laughing, but hey, you think it so it must be true. an expert in your own head eh? :o

I don't live in Ireland, and I have lived in the US. So I have actually left Ireland for a different country ( which is better in many respects, but not in all).

so I

1) Wanted to see the world.
    2) Have lived abroad.
    3) Have lived in the US and the UK.

I have also visited dozens of countries, however I give dictatorships a miss where possible.

You

1) Love Cuba
    2) Cuba is the best place ever
    3) Cuba is the bestest place ever, ever in the history of the world, and dictatorships are brilliant.
    4) Still live in Ireland.

Wy are you still there, in Ireland. If Cuba is so good why are you not in Cuba?

ah, I see where you are coming from now duggs. To much FOX news.
    by the way, living in the US and the UK is not "seeing the world".

Also, your pointers about me above demonstrates to me that you read something, manipulate it to suit yourself and go with that for arguements sake. what fun.

Did you not take a trip to Cuba when you lived in the land of the free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

wrong, honey, so wrong. listen, you can raise your blood pressure here all your want trying to answer things you know nothing about. In the meantime those who actually know what they are talking about are just nodding their head and laughing, but hey, you think it so it must be true. an expert in your own head eh? :o

You know what you're talking about? Do you know what the life expectancy is in Cuba now compared to when Castro took over, despite this much vaunted 'world-class' health system? Do you have figures for how many people attempt to leave the country each year? Do you know how many 'work' camps they have based on their population. Do you know how many years they spend in prison for writing descenting graffiti or attempting to connect to the Internet using a non-approved government computer?

ah, I see where you are coming from now duggs. To much FOX news.

Nope. And ad homimen. I am a political centrist.
    by the way, living in the US and the UK is not "seeing the world".

It is "seeing" a lot more of the world than visiting a country. It is living abroad for a decade ( and in more than two cities). are you - someone probably living across the road from mum - really making that point? Really?

Which is why I also said that I visited lots of countries, and that I have lived outside of Ireland, you appear to be living in Ireland.

But the question remains unanswered once again. Why are you not living

1) outside Ireland?
    2) in Cuba.

I don't particularly hate Ireland, but some Irish immigrants over here much prefer the UK. But they did something about that, they live here. Why are you not in Cuba?

you were living in two aggressive surveillance states and have adopted their propaganda. It's all got to do with perspective: It's only a statue.

talkinyite wrote: »
    you were living in two aggressive surveillance states and have adopted their propaganda. It's all got to do with perspective: It's only a statue.

Christ on stick. Another one not living in Cuba but accusing democracies of being aggressive surveillance states, freely on the internet, and not in the least bit concerned that these very aggressive surveillance states are listening in.

Cuba is apparently not just a brilliant economy, but freer than democracies. And yet the lines outside the embassy looking for visas are shorter than you would expect given this reality.

You boys should get a few rafts together and plug on over to Cuba, to gain your freedom from the repressive democracies you live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

HoggyRS wrote: »

Not sure you understand the importance of press freedom if you don't think its important.
    And not sure if you're trolling or actually serious when you're argument is "Cuba is good because it's better than Haiti".

Sergeant wrote: »
    You know what you're talking about? Do you know what the life expectancy is in Cuba now compared to when Castro took over, despite this much vaunted 'world-class' health system? Do you have figures for how many people attempt to leave the country each year? Do you know how many 'work' camps they have based on their population. Do you know how many years they spend in prison for writing descenting graffiti or attempting to connect to the Internet using a non-approved government computer?

head on over and find out - however you can rest assured that their life expectance has been growing steadily since cuba was cleaned up. It now surpasses the USA.

Christ on stick. Another one not living in Cuba but accusing democracies of being aggressive surveillance states, freely on the internet, and not in the least bit concerned that these very aggressive surveillance states are listening in.

Cuba is apparently not just a brilliant economy, but freer than democracies. And yet the lines outside the embassy looking for visas are shorter than you would expect given this reality.

You boys should get a few rafts together and plug on over to Cuba, to gain your freedom from the repressive democracies you live in.

the U.S. is a plutocracy and was found guilty by the world court for aggression. The wiretapping, NSA and TSA buzzes are well known across the world now.

the U.K. is still a sort of monarchy, it has the highest number of CCTV cameras in the world and everyone knows its history of aggression.

I'd like to visit Cuba, it looks like a nice place with a interesting culture. I don't care about any of this political stuff.

It is "seeing" a lot more of the world than visiting a country. It is living abroad for a decade ( and in more than two cities). are you - someone probably living across the road from mum - really making that point? Really?

Which is why I also said that I visited lots of countries, and that I have lived outside of Ireland, you appear to be living in Ireland.

1) outside Ireland?
    2) in Cuba.

I don't particularly hate Ireland, but some Irish immigrants over here much prefer the UK. But they did something about that, they live here. Why are you not in Cuba?

again, you are off "assuming" things you know nothing about. Believe me when I tell you living in the UK and US is NOT seeing the world. If you go by my reasoning in previous posts not to assume you know about a place unless you have experienced it, you will come to the conclusions that because you believe something to be true in your own head, does not make it true in reality.

• Advertisement

they do have airports in cuba you know. Lemme ask you this, since you are an experct in US/UK domicility - is fox news related to sky news in any way? :D

1) outside Ireland?
    2) in Cuba.

actually after re-reading your post above, I think I will rest my case on cuba. Maybe you can go visit there someday and find out what it is really like. But really, I'd rather have a more educated conversation with somebody about it, rather than dealing with your little retort above.

Have fun with your perceptions tho. They are quite funny. :D

I think its funny when Americans bash Cuba and praise the U.S. when the worst stuff that goes on there happens in the part their government controls, guantanamo bay.

not in the least bit concerned that these very aggressive surveillance states are listening in.

Why should I care if they listen in? :P I'm apolitical.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

Marxism is like "Nazzism"? You obviously haven't a clue about either ideology if you just assume two ideas you agree with must be exactly the same.

Why would I compare Cuba to Sweden, their thousands of miles apart? Haiti is one of their closet neighbours. Cuba is pretty much in the same league as the Dominican Republic if you need another example (middle income developing nation)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

RichieC wrote: »
    Anything that pisses off right wing Cuban exiles is okay by me.

They did escape a brutal regime, I have a lot of sympathy for them. Some of them could be homosexals who escaped being killed or any Cuuban who dared criticise Castro for any reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭Icepick

Which other despotic mass-murderer is next?
    Mao, Stalin, Hitler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Mao, it would be a great way to suck up to our new chinese over lords.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Icepick wrote: »
    Which other despotic mass-murderer is next?
    Mao, Stalin, Hitler?

Perhaps George Bush or Tony B Liar.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Anyone know when are they going to erect this monument and any info released on what it may look like? Looking forward to seeing it.

Advertisement