Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unblocking a toilet???

• 14-09-2008 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hiya
    Do I need to call out a plumber to unblock our toilet - I think its blocked with one of those air freshner things that hook over the side of the toilet bowl. When the toilet is flushed, the water nearly comes up to the top and takes forever to drain away.
    Is calling a plumber the only option?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

have ya tried a plunger , failig that get your hand down there n fish out whatevers blocking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Try a wire clothes hanger, open it out and bend a small hook onto one end...
    It should be flexable enough to get round the bend or firm enough dislodge anything there....

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

If all those things fail then you'll have to do what I did.

Unscrewed the screws holding the toilet to the floor then put my hand into the pipe behind the toilet and removed the offending object.

If you put a towel on the ground behind the toilet your carpet shouldn't get too wet.

Just don't flush the toilet when it's off.

And most important don't forget to wash your hands after...

And even more important put the toilet back when you've finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gazelec

S.L.Fs way is prob the way to go im afraid,its not a nice thing to do as the smell coming back up from the waste pipe can be pretty bad,good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Hang on there a minute. There's a much easier way to clear a blocked loo than putting your hand down it :eek: or taking it apart.

I too had the situation where one of those toilet cleaner thingys that hang onto the lip of the bowl came loose and went down the pot only to get stuck. I went to B & Q where I bought a "drain bomb". This is essentially a large plunger similar to a bicycle pump on steroids. It comes with a large seal at one end that covers the mouth of the neck of the bowl.

What you do is put it down into the blocked loo. You then pull up the plunger which sucks some of the water up and then you push the plunger back down and the force of the concentrated water pushes the blockage through to the sewer. This worked first time for me and the toilet cleaner thing was pushed out to the sewer where I fished it out and binned it. This plunger also comes with a smaller attachment for clearing blocked sinks, showers etc.

I've seen these drain bombs in Woodies and Atlantic. It only cost me about €10, and it cleared the blockage in seconds and no smelly hand for me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I agree with all the above... try a coat hanger - it worked for me. Bbam is right.

Aldi also have Pipe unblockers on sale this week - long metal cable with a hook on the end.
    Try Prosperousdaves plunge unblocker and if all else fails follow S.L.F instructions!

My way can be achieved in 3 mins and costs nothing but a bit of soap for your hand. (well maybe a lot of soap after some people's........'leavings':D)

Although that drain bomb thing sounds like fun to use.

What you do is put it down into the blocked loo. You then pull up the plunger which sucks some of the water up and then you push the plunger back down and the force of the concentrated water pushes the blockage through to the sewer. This worked first time for me and the toilet cleaner thing was pushed out to the sewer where I fished it out and binned it.

One big problem with this is you need access to a sewer if you happen to live in an apartment block it would not be so easy to access.

The other problem is if it gets stuck half way down a pipe you have an even bigger problem to deal with.

Even still I think I'll go out and buy one so I'll have it just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Hi,

Just wondering if you have an inspection cap on the side of the soil stack outside. i used this to get out last blockage on a job and could easily reach the neck where the collar meets the WC bowl itself. Just might save you taking out the bowl. Hope this helps

Regards
    Builditwell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I only accessed the sewer to fish this toilet thingy out so it wouldn't get flushed into the septic tank. Once its out of the loo and into the sewer its not a problem anymore so you don't actually have to have access to a sewer. And yes it is fun to use as it actually works without having to get down and dirty in a blocked loo :D

• Advertisement

And yes it is fun to use as it actually works without having to get down and dirty in a blocked loo :D

I find getting down and dirty is part of the fun

(well not so much in a loo):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Well Musicfan,
    Any luck? How did you get on?
    Did any of the solutions work for you?

Advertisement