Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

1585960616264»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I'd question the wisdom of Fox making a shared universe based in the 60s/70s.
    Theres a split timeline in the new Xmen movie, so the joint continuity, probably doesn't come into it until the "present day" timeline in the new movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Could be something as easy as Reed meeting Xavier when he's speaking at Reed's college, befriending him, seeing the Academy and that then inspiring him to go further in his own field leading to the accident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

http://io9.com/5975380/shield-will-be-a-sequelnot-a-prequelto-the-avengers?utm_source=kotaku.com&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=recirculation
    Ever since we found out that Clark Gregg would be reprising his role as Agent Phil Coulson in the S.H.I.E.L.D. television series, we've been wondering if Coulson did indeed survived the events of The Avengers or if the television series would function as a prequel to the films. But ABC president Paul Lee has revealed that the series is set after The Avengers. Coulson lives!
    Talking to IGN, Lee had this to say about S.H.I.E.L.D.'s relationship to the other Marvel films:

There is no question that it is part of the Marvel Universe. In fact, the story takes place after the battle for New York.

Nick Fury, you sly, manipulative bastard.

The challenge, Lee continued, will be balancing the distinct TV series with the universe already created within the films:

This is S.H.I.E.L.D. They're following their own particular stories. There are characters in it, Coulson, who clearly come from Avengers. So it's part of the world, but we're going to be very, very careful that we don't tread on the toes of the features and build a whole new world. And that's what Joss Whedon does better than anybody else. He's built a world for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Apparently Marvel tried to get the rights for Galactus and Silver Surfer off Fox in exchange for letting them keep Daredevil. Would have made sense for Marvel what with the direction Avengers is going in, I dont think Fox accepted though.

On the plus side Daredevil is back at Marvel now, although I did like the sound of what Joe Carnahan wanted to do with the character at Fox (70's style/set thriller basically).

Carnahan would be a great choice for doing a DD movie, I don't hate the Affleck one though, its got some huge flaws but there's some great scenes in it, especially the directors cut which gets rid of that godawful fireside love scene and puts in some pretty dark stuff. There aren't many superhero movies that begin with the hero at deaths door after having the sh1te kicked out of him. And you dont see Batman having visions of dead people he didnt save crawling across his bathroom floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Evilsbane

I'd question the wisdom of Fox making a shared universe based in the 60s/70s.

It'd actually make the most sense. Hell's Kitchen was only the dive that the comics make it out to be back in the 70s or possibly earlier. Apparently nowadays it's a very affluent area. And the Fantastic Four were astronauts; it'd make more sense to be active during the period when it was actually a new frontier (in fact, since I've always felt the Marvel universe is too New York-centric, I've thought about how interesting it would be to rewrite the FF as Russian cosmonauts, but that's just me). Finally, the X-Men make the most sense as an analog to the Civil Rights movement, which was in the 60s and 70s. All in all, a 60s/70s setting for all of the Fox properties would've made a hell of a lot of sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,463 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Not sure if this was posted already but heres a brilliant Honest Trailer for The Avengers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

In fairness, that's more about comedy than actual fault dissection.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,463 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

In fairness, that's more about comedy than actual fault dissection.

Yeah, by brilliant, I meant funny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

However, I really hope Sony reboot Fantastic Four soon so there's no hope of that s*** team of s***s being reverted back to Marvel and squeezed into The Avengers' film universe...

Although it could get interesting if they did mix the current Fantastic Four team into the Avengers universe - especially since Chris Evans plays both Captain America and Johnny Storm / Human Torch :)

That'd be the only decent thing about the current Fantastic Four team moving back to the Avengers universe. For an ensemble piece it was absolutely dreadful compared to Avengers - Joss Whedon got the balance just right between action, comedy, individual characters and an Avengers "team". A really excellent movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Sarxos

Although it could get interesting if they did mix the current Fantastic Four team into the Avengers universe - especially since Chris Evans plays both Captain America and Johnny Storm / Human Torch :)

That'd be the only decent thing about the current Fantastic Four team moving back to the Avengers universe. For an ensemble piece it was absolutely dreadful compared to Avengers - Joss Whedon got the balance just right between action, comedy, individual characters and an Avengers "team". A really excellent movie.

Chronicle director Josh Trank is rebooting The Fantastic Four for 20th Century Fox. The film has a March 6th, 2015 release date pencilled in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Evilsbane wrote: »
    It'd actually make the most sense. Hell's Kitchen was only the dive that the comics make it out to be back in the 70s or possibly earlier. Apparently nowadays it's a very affluent area. And the Fantastic Four were astronauts; it'd make more sense to be active during the period when it was actually a new frontier (in fact, since I've always felt the Marvel universe is too New York-centric, I've thought about how interesting it would be to rewrite the FF as Russian cosmonauts, but that's just me). Finally, the X-Men make the most sense as an analog to the Civil Rights movement, which was in the 60s and 70s. All in all, a 60s/70s setting for all of the Fox properties would've made a hell of a lot of sense.

That was actually done in the What If series that Marvel put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,392 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Kess73 wrote: »
    That was actually done in the What If series that Marvel put out.

Plus I think it would draw too many comparisons to Red Son.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Plus I think it would draw too many comparisons to Red Son.

It would, just as the comic version did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Anything coming up against Red Son is gonna fall flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,392 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Kess73 wrote: »
    It would, just as the comic version did.

Ah I thought it was part of the early 90's 'What if?' heyday, didn't realise it was post Red Son. Although when I went to Google it one of the suggestions was 'What if the Fantastic Four were bananas?'....which actually occurred in 1982. Now there's a unique approach.

Advertisement