Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backdate Family income supplement?

• 17-03-2011 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

I am being reduced to a 2 or 3 day week(work 5 out of 10) and was trying to find out what I would be entitled to when I discovered that I could have claimed Family Income Supplement for the last few years.Couple of quick questions.

Can I get the FIS backdated and if so how far back?

While on a 3 day week will I be "using up" the 312 days I am allowed to claim Jobseekers Benefit or is it continually being topped up with the PRSI contributions from my work?

Thanks for any assistance offered

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You cant get fis becayse you didnt apply for it. Sorry to bring bad news. Yes you will be claiming jsb for the days you are on short week. When this ends you will be means tested to see if you can get jas for the days you are looking for work.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

You can't claim both FIS and JSB - you need to work out which one is most beneficial for you and claim that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    You cant get fis becayse you didnt apply for it. Sorry to bring bad news. Yes you will be claiming jsb for the days you are on short week. When this ends you will be means tested to see if you can get jas for the days you are looking for work.

Have no problem having missed FIS,I had enough to get by so no point crying over what I could have had.
    The jsb thing is my biggest issue,if I do a 3 day week for 6 months and then get made redundant(which looks like the likely scenario) will I be allowed the full 12 months JSB before JSA as I have savings which would mean getting very little if means tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It does run out while you are working but I'm not sure when it gets replenished. My OH worked 2 /3 days a week and It ran out after 13 months.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

If you have used up your entitlement to Jobseeker's Benefit (JB), you may re-qualify by working and paying the appropriate PRSI contributions for at least 13 weeks. If you are working and getting JB, as in the case of systematic short-time workers and some part-time workers, the 13 weeks paid contributions can begin once you have claimed JB for 156 days.

from here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_benefit.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Apply for FIS and JSB and FIS will let you know which is more beneficial for you.You should recieve JSB quicker because there is a huge backlog of claims in FIS.

Advertisement