Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

loftus hall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Folks, Loftus is private property so please do no facilitate access or attempt to organise future access to the property via boards.ie.

What you guys do in your own time or on other websites is none of our business but let's not use boards for information on tresspassing. This isn't to say that anyone has, I'm just making it clear on this and future threads.

Spanks

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mac.the.hat

A ghost hunting team were invited to visit Loftus Hall in february 2011. They have posted a video on youtube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_T5OKE1Zwk

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭yellowbear

Hi, I'm Ronan and i'v been working very closely with the maker "Rick Whelan" of the documentry "The Legend of Loftus Hall".

Me and Rick are currently remastering and reworking the documentry to DVD and possible limited blu ray.

The DVD/BluRay will be available on ricks website witch is currently under construction and will be posted soon.

The trailer is finished and will be posted after ricks approvial

Cheers
    Ronan

Hey Ronan,

Any updates on this, my parents used to have this on VHS years ago, but the tape has been lost, they asked me about it a few years ago, id love to get it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

Never got an answer to this..I tried to look for that chaps website but the search didnt come up with much..Nothing about the DVD anywho..

Can you please let us know Ronan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

Hey everyone !

Me and Rick will be starting work again this weekend, aiming for mid February release. We are working from an old dvd source as we can't use the original master tapes for unforeseen circumstances.

We got delayed over Christmas due to ricks beautiful new baby ruben.

Heres a semi finished trailer for people that are interested, keep in mind that it's no where near finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭yellowbear

Hey everyone !

Me and Rick will be starting work again this weekend, aiming for mid February release. We are working from an old dvd source as we can't use the original master tapes for unforeseen circumstances.

Heres a semi finished trailer for people that are interested, keep in mind that it's no where near finished.

Thanks for getting back to us Ronan. Would appreciate if you would let us know here when its released. Trailer looks good, I remember that cat freaking me out when i watched the video as a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Hey all,
    Just passed Loftus Hall a couple of minutes ago and saw scaffoling around the back of it aswell as a cherrypicker and 2 diggers. I noticed all the boards are gone off the windows and a couple of them you can see right through.

Any thoughts or ideas? Anyone knows whats happening there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Hey everyone !

Thanks for getting back.
    I have a 2 questions for you;
    1. How much will it be?
    2. Where will I be able to buy it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mark17

I can guarantee there was no devil appeared in that place, in the new or old building. Fair play to Paddy Whelan for trying to make a few bob out of it, but there was no ghost and no devil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

Hey everyone !

1:11 lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 8oyc3y

Loftus hall has now been sold for the asking price of €625,000 and the new owner has started work on the building, hence the diggers, scaffolding etc seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Roache20

Ok so work is well underway on Lofthus as we all know. I'd like to shake the hand of the person who has taken his time and money to put into this building..(could some one point me in the right direction with his name?)

With the already successful Hook Head visiting centre his venture is sure to wreck some rewards. The stretch of 2 mile road from portersgate to the hook has seen its walls repaired and some nice grass margins planted.

Not forgeting Slade castle and the magnificent sweeping views from Herrylock road all the way to the rock beneath the tower.
    The Hook has become a romantic picturesque place for all.
    Much of its attraction has come from its Natural surrounding, something everyone can enjoy and cost absolutely nothing for Tourists and Irish families.

Anyway Back to loftus hall. Does anyone know if the current owner is getting advice from an Architect or from a national body such as the OPW or local council on Conservation advice????

I'm trying to upload a photo of the house today but i cant. there has been plastering work to the north end and possible back west end. Also all chimleys have been done.

Is there cause for worry that to much restoration will be done and that a sense of Antiquity will be lost from its modern intervention. By all means they serve to protect and enhance the building but will its late 18th century glory be ruined.

Is there any place where i can find out such information or is this work totally private to the owner..

In the best interest of the Building,
    from
    Local

Loftus Hall was not built in the late 18th. century but the late 19th. century, approx. 1879. Therefore it would not have the protection of a national monument, in Waterford City and elsewhere during the building boom several houses were demolished which were slightly older. Whatever they preserve in Loftus Hall will be a bonus, they may have to follow guidelines but that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

How do you 'wreck rewards'?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭screamer

Being a protected building means SFA, I can give you an example of a listed building in Kilkenny that was bulldozed overnight to build a commercial premises....... as to Loftus Hall, better restored modernised, than crumbling antiquity.

screamer wrote: »
    Being a protected building means SFA, I can give you an example of a listed building in Kilkenny that was bulldozed overnight to build a commercial premises....... as to Loftus Hall, better restored modernised, than crumbling antiquity.

You are correct Screamer the building is modern and restoration will keep it maintained, it's not a fantastic building either. Then there's the ghost story which is a pure farce altogether, it's not known if Anne Tottenham ever lived in the old house at Loftus Hall or Tottenham Green in Co. Wexford. On top of that her first cousin Nicholas 2nd. earl of Ely died of the same condition as Anne Tottenham, the bones fused in their bodies, and both were prone to bouts of screaming and both of them died young at 32 years of age. In the 1760's the peasantry were believers of the old pisogues and fairy stories, and a young girl with a severe disability in the "Big House" would have tongues wagging all over the area.

my mistake 19th century. Redmond Hall was knocked around 1871 to be replaced by Lofthus Hall. Its Architecture isnt of international or national standards but never the less a popular icon of the Hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jingler

Roache20 wrote: »

Is there any place where i can find out such information or is this work totally private to the owner..
    l

If you have a facebook account, have a look at this page
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Loftus-hall/196157623750091

It's by the caretakers- posting updates of work undertaken etc. They seem like nice guys- maybe they could give you more info if you messaged them?

• Advertisement

If you have a facebook account, have a look at this page
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Loftus-hall/196157623750091

Cheers Jingler, i was looking for something like this. joined a different loftus on facebook but there wasnt much actin on that page.

yeah i hear the owners a nice guy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jennie27

Guess what? My name is Linda Devereux. I'm related by marriage to the late Michael Devereux who was my late father in law's brother Thomas Devereux. My husbands father. Any info wold be appreciated I have never been to Loftus Hall but my husband has many years ago.

hi linda just wondering if ur on here very much could u contact me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 8oyc3y

BREAKING: It was revealed at Hook Tourism's AGM last night that the Lighthouse has been granted €150,00.. whilst the grounds to the renowned Loftus Hall will be open to the public to explore this summer!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mac.the.hat

Dan133269 wrote: »
    it's a fascinating place alright but has anyone here ever actually experienced or seen anything out of the ordinary there? I'd love to go there aswell

Check out the Wexford Paranormal video of their Loftus Hall investigation. You can find it here and you can contact them directly through youtube or facebook

http://www.youtube.com/user/wexfordparanormal

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭germanator

8oyc3y wrote: »
    BREAKING: It was revealed at Hook Tourism's AGM last night that the Lighthouse has been granted €150,00.. whilst the grounds to the renowned Loftus Hall will be open to the public to explore this summer!!!!!!
    also theres a little write up about it on the new ross standard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 halmagruder

Here is my story about Loftus Hall:

About 1993, my wife, 2 young daughters (around 1 and 3), and my niece (17 or 18 at the time) went down to check out the lighthouse at Hook's Head. On our way back we saw the Guiness/pub sign, and decided to head over to this cool house on the left for a quick pint and maybe a snack for the girls. The iron sign over the gate at the entrance said "Hoftus Hall", and it looked like a very interesting place.

We drove around to the back right corner of the house, and went into the bar. There were a couple of teenagers over the in corner, who kept to themselves, an elderly lady running the bar, ourselves, and a very large, gray shepherd dog laying on the floor. Other than that, it was empty. The young girls were of course interested in the dog, and the lady kept saying, "Don't touch the dog, don't touch the dog,..". After she served us our pints, we chatted a bit and she asked if we were Americans. She said they were looking at the selling the house, and was wondering if we were interested (presuming, I suppose, that all Americans were quite wealthy). We said we wouldn't be able to, but she wanted to give us a tour, so we said sure.

She led us out a door of the pub into the hallway. It was already in a state of disrepair, and the wallpaper was starting to peel, I think. We went down the hall, and then turned left and right outside a door to the outside. She said thanks, and closed the door behind us. I'm not sure if she was messing with us, but we thought it was kind of strange.
    I'm pretty sure the door is the one that you can see in pictures that is at the very left side of the house at the ground level. It's been almost 20 years, so my memory may not be perfect, but that's the door that I remember. Outside the door there was this very small dog that was barking and growling at us viciously. It was a really small dog, so we ignored it and walked back around the house to our car. But it kind of caught us by surprise.

As we drove away, back to the road, my wife, niece, and I all agreed that it was the creepiest, weirdest place we had ever been. I felt like I could hear the music from the old Hammer horror film playing as we drove away. It felt very, very strange. We even joked about booking my parents there if they came to visit over Halloween time.
    Anyway, we decided to stop at the Wexford tourist office and ask about this "Hoftus Hall" place. They asked us if we meant "Loftus Hall", and we realized we had mistaken the L for an H. They told us about the ghost stories.

I don't personally believe in ghosts, but none of us had any previous knowledge of the place before we went there. After we left, and before we went to the tourist office, we all agreed that it was the creepiest, weirdest place we had ever been to. The look and feel of the place is perfect for reminding you of all those horror movies you might have seen as a kid and give you a true feeling of it being haunted.

I suppose the lady behind the bar might have been Mrs. Deveraux.
    It's a fun story, that I've told a few times over the years. I'm glad to see that the house is getting some attention after many years of neglect. It's a beautiful place. But also quite scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i cant wait til this place opens to the public ... then maybe all the 'oooohhh its haunted' BS will stop.

Check out the Wexford Paranormal video of their Loftus Hall investigation. You can find it here and you can contact them directly through youtube or facebook

Unfortunately KIIs are just too unreliable. Good to see they dont use franks boxes all the same ..... actually, scratch that. 20 mins in and the franks box comes out. Talking to a radio receiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Yeah Yeah Yeah

I really think that shortened versions of these videos should be considered, condensed to 3 or 4 minutes. Do we really need to watch through nearly 40 minutes to be able to have a valid opinion?

The audio at the end seems to have some validity. Im not sure about several investigators jumping in very quickly to interpret what was being said.

"Seth" does appear to be at a higher audio level and on a different frequency, a lot of the other audio IMO is radio intereference.

I'm no expert but I would recommend the investigators to hang back a bit and let audio speak for itself, allowing more space to listen, and probalby just having one person doing the discussion and the others remaining quite as far as possible. Just an observation.

The photo, well I didnt watch all of the video, but surely the photo could have been analysed a bit more.

Same with the recorded audio of "Seth", it all seems a bit superficial to me in its analysis.

• Advertisement

i cant take anything from a franks box other than its a radio signal ... as thats precisely what every voice from a franks box is.

Its basically a money spinning gadget sold to 'paranormal investigators' who dont understand the tech.

Advertisement