Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its a Wonderful Life sequel

• 18-11-2013 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭

It’s a Wonderful Life’ Sequel in the Works

Star Partners and Hummingbird Prods. are collaborating on production of a sequel to Frank Capra’s iconic 1946 movie “It’s a Wonderful Life,” which starred Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed.

The sequel, titled “It’s A Wonderful Life: The Rest of the Story,” is being produced by Allen J. Schwalb of Star Partners and Bob Farnsworth of Hummingbird. The duo are aiming to get the movie into theaters for the 2014 holiday season.

No casting decision for the lead role of Bailey’s grandson will be made until February but producers have also begun discussions with original cast members Jimmy Hawkins, who portrayed Tommy Bailey, and Carol Coombs,who played Janie Bailey, to reprise their roles as well.

The producers are interviewing potential directors and plan to shoot the majority of the film in Louisiana. The sequel will have a budget in the $25 million to $35 million range

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/its-a-wonderful-life-sequel-in-the-works-exclusive-1200850705/

My initial thoughts are...NNNNOOOOOOOOO!!

As its being made though, I hope they do the classic movie justice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

That's depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'll put up the first €100 for whoever can kill this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'll put up the first €100 for whoever can kill this.

Like a "Casablanca" sequel its an awful idea, these films are completely of their time that IS there appeal, you can't recreate that 40s magic no matter how hard you try

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Double_facepalm.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There's serious rights issues with the original film, so the chances of this actually happening are very slim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭fluke

It's A Wonderful Life 2: Live Harder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

"It's a Wonderful Life 2: Oh wait.... I was wrong, it's not at all. I'm feckin' Miserable"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

"It WAS a Wonderful Life, but we've run out of original ideas"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

"Its a Wonderful Life 2: A Good Day to Live Wonderfully"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭The Dom

There's serious rights issues with the original film, so the chances of this actually happening are very slim.

Aren't the rights issues so bad that it's a case that almost anyone could come along and make one though.

Remember seeing something years ago that the only reason it began to get shown at Christmas every year and appeared in so many movies in TVs in the background (it must have the record on that) was because there was copyright issues and it was such that people could use it for almost anything and pay zero.

Must be twenty years since I remember seeing that in some docu or other, so most likely I have it arse ways.

As for the sequel, I would be in the: sure what harm camp.

So much junk gets made these days, can't be much worse than half the crap we see each week.

Obviously I wouldn't like them to do anything which cast a shadow over the original but I do see people's points that any sequel is likely to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

A clerical error prevented the copyright from being renewed properly in 1974 and in the 90s after alot of VHS release by various companies it was sort of renewed via a court case and its ownership has probably been sorted now

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I just don't see the point. It's not like the story hasn't been redone a million times already in different movies, tv movies and tv shows.

Good lord, I just read an article about how Karolyn Grimes's life (the girl who played Zuzu and is to star in this one) was after the original film came out.

She was six in the film and around the time she turned ten her mother developed Alzheimer's and died a few years later. Then two years after that her Dad was killed in a car crash. She then went to live with Aunt & Uncle who made he sleep in a cold damp basement (that apparently had snakes in it at times) and they stole and spent all her inheritance money which she had been left by parents. Many years later,in 1989, when she married, her 18 year old son hung himself. Three years after that her husband then contracted cancer and died shortly afterwards. Now her daughter has cancer and she is taking care of her.

Crickey, I know we all have out own troubles and all but man she sure has had her fair share. If nothing else, would hope any possible sequel does well, for her if for nothing else. She sure does deserve something going right for her for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Episode 2: The Bank Strikes Back

Awful, awful, awful, watch Shia Le Boeuf get thrown around for this ... it's going to make me enjoy watching the original over Xmas all the more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Presumably they're going to go with the angle of George's granchildren righting the wrongs of Mr Potter keeping the Bailys' $6,000?

Remember, not only is this one of the all-time great "feelgood" movies, it's also one where the bad guy doesn't exactly lose: he still runs the town and is a few grand better off than he already was at the start...

They should get Drew Barrymore to play one of Potter's, no doubt bitchy, grandchildren.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Paramount won’t be giving any wings to a planned It’s a Wonderful Life sequel.

A studio spokeswoman said Wednesday that Paramount would fight the proposed follow-up to the 1946 holiday classic.

While a lapsed copyright led TV stations in the 1970s, ’80s, and early ’90s to repeatedly broadcast It’s a Wonderful Life, Paramount has controlled the rights for the past 14 years, after the studio acquired Republic Pictures as part of its acquisition of Spelling Entertainment in 1999.

Paramount has since licensed It’s a Wonderful Life to NBC, which airs it sparingly during the holiday season.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/11/20/its-a-wonderful-life-sequel-controversy/

I cant see any sequel happening now.

Advertisement