Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DOVADO UMR - 3G USB router (For use with O2, Three & Vodafone)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gan23

I got a loan of the Huawei E353 from O2 and tested it with the router. It worked straight away without having to change any settings. However it was slower than the sierra stick. I then updated the firmware of the 3GN from 4.2.5 to version 5.0.1 and setup everything again from the start. Im now getting great speeds of around 10M on the download and 2M on the upload. :D

Happy Dovado Customer!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Any idea what Three.ie's DNS servers are, I might as well have a laugh and try them, I've tried just about all the others, since purchasing a Dovado 4GN.

The Three Rolling wave of unreachable web sites includes YouTube (stalls on **.ytimg.com seemingly), just stopped working two days back. XP installed. Ubuntu installed. Mint live. 2 Laptops, 2 Desktops.

Embedded videos work, but cannot reach the main domain or any YouTube member profiles. Much like my boards.ie issues. Main domain unavailable, but anything below that, fine...

No, I doubt it is a dirty SIM problem, or Adblock, or or or..

E182E (with additional Antenna - average %40 signal) > Dovado 4GN > (currently OpenDNS) > Wifi G > PC\Laptops

I was reading this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056044900

That's me, more or less. The unstable Outlook (Office 2002) access is the most frustrating.

APN change does nothing.

---

I went to the trouble of installing, updating a clean install of XP, but considering I have hobbled access with live Linux on a laptop with no hard drive, the issues must be elsewhere.

Any tips on quality of service software appreciated.

EDIT: Just to add, it all worked until a year back, before that, whatever I was doing, whatever hardware\software combination I was using, access was there, it just worked. I didn't need to check email through Outlook 6 times to get it to download. I had access to boards.ie, I had access to other sites 'normally'.

EDIT EDIT: Just to add, a VPN cures everything! ..but that's not ideal. I would rather not use that for email etc. I should not have to use a VPN 24/7 just to assure 'normal' access from an internet service provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

My Edimax router is picking up..

Primary DNS 83.136.47.249
    Secondary DNS 193.120.14.101

Wierdest thing is I always get this as a default gateway in the router settings 10.64.64.68 :confused: and thats with the 3internet APN and is working as I post this.

Edit>From a google of 10.64.64.68 it seems that 10.64.64.68 is a default that the Edimax router uses when there is no default gateway.

Just done a hard reset of the Dovado 4GR to default, except WPA2 encryption. A look up of youtube.com times out after 2 seconds.

Stumped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

How do I upgrade the firmware on a UMR router without being able to connect to the internet?

My original 3G dongle worked fine but developed a fault. The new dongle works when connected directly to the PC but must require a firmware upgrade for the UMR router to recognise it.

Can I download the firmware to my PC and run the upgrade from there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭rob180

Hi Dovado , when will the Mini be release in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭DOVADO

rob180 wrote: »
    Hi Dovado , when will the Mini be release in Ireland?

Please check with Commsoft! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duckytech

Hi there, 2 questions!

1) I have been using a Vodafone K3520 usb modem with the Dovado 4GR. All is good, only sometimes when i connect to my network (connects to network fine) and then the router attempts to connect to the internet - it fails and produces an error showing:

Router cannot connect to internet - usb modem not suported/ inserted.

I try to reset the router via the router homepage but when this dosn't work (can't log in most of the time), i end up turning off/on router via the switch on the router.

Have you any possible reason as to why this occurs?

Its a real pain as generally the product is ace and works great.

Secondly,

This evening I got a free upgrade to the Vodafone K4511 modem. I see on the Dovado website that this particular modem isn't listed as compatable with the 4GR. I have tried to set this modem up with the 4GR but it wont connect the internet.

Is there any software update available or any other solution to get this modem working with the 4GR?

Thanks.

Update:

Got the new K4511 working now. Updated firmware on router and then changed APN address to suit Modem. My bad.
    Am hoping that this update will resolve issue of Router dropping out from the net as ws occuring with older Vodafone modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Can anyone recomend a better router than the 4gr. The reception on mine is terrible. You must be alongside it to get 5 full bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Can anyone recomend a better router than the 4gr. The reception on mine is terrible. You must be alongside it to get 5 full bars.

If you mean the WiFi is crap that could just be a damaged antenna or internal antenna cable. If you can remove the antenna do so and if the problem is no better or worse there's your problem, try a repalcement antenna but yours can't even be 12 months old yet can it?

You can always plug a dedicated WiFi access point on an ethernet cable into one of the swtich ports and use that if otherwise the 4gr is OK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

If you mean the WiFi is crap that could just be a damaged antenna or internal antenna cable. If you can remove the antenna do so and if the problem is no better or worse there's your problem, try a repalcement antenna but yours can't even be 12 months old yet can it?

You can always plug a dedicated WiFi access point on an ethernet cable into one of the swtich ports and use that if otherwise the 4gr is OK.

Tried all that but no joy. Even if i sit beside the router i will not have full bars on my phone or laptop. Using it downstairs is a disaster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 philymurph

Hi i have a Dovado 4GR and the DNS will not work with DynDns.com but it will work with no-ip.com. What would the problem be?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭trevortronics

Hi
    Has anybody got a 4GR working on HSPA+ on the 3 network ?. I've had mixed results so far with a Huawei E1820 (unlocked), basically no improvement over HSPA on old Enermax 6200 nlite. Tried all the APN's , but definitely getting slower speeds with the dongle in the router opposed to the pc.

I also run a Huawei E353 on 02, using a 4GR. They have just switched on HSPA+ and in recent days I've gone from 0.5mbps to 5.0mbps at peak time.Feels like Christmas !

Anybody know of another HSPA+ router compatible with 3 and a E1820 ?
    Thanks and merry christmas everone:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JohnnyB5

Hi,

Just looking for some advice Please, looking at getting a router but not sure, my brother has the UMR and the E122 works well with it, as the UMR is no longer available,

Can you use an E122 dongle with the Dovado 4GR working on the 3 network and is it any good . . . . ?

Many Thanks
    Johnnie

The Dovado 4GR is the successor to the UMR and has a wider range of compatability with various dongles.

Huawei E122 is listed in the 4GR list. Firmware 4.25 even mentions a change specific to that dongle, so it must be compatible.

I purchased and used a Dovado 4GR on the Three network and found it very very unstable. Something with Three causes issues with accessing sites and services through a '3G Router'. My symptoms were identical to issues surrounding problems with Three customers using a Huawei B260A on the Three network.

If you can, I suggest getting a lend of the Dovado from your brother and using it at your main location for a day or two.. as the problem is all a bit vague and without a clear solution..

• Registered Users Posts: 22 brenvan2000

Hi
    Has anybody got a 4GR working on HSPA+ on the 3 network ?. I've had mixed results so far with a Huawei E1820 (unlocked), basically no improvement over HSPA on old Enermax 6200 nlite. Tried all the APN's , but definitely getting slower speeds with the dongle in the router opposed to the pc.

I also run a Huawei E353 on 02, using a 4GR. They have just switched on HSPA+ and in recent days I've gone from 0.5mbps to 5.0mbps at peak time.Feels like Christmas !

Anybody know of another HSPA+ router compatible with 3 and a E1820 ?
    Thanks and merry christmas everone:)

Hey there, What are the APN, username & password for the E353 running on O2 (billpay)?
    thanks
    B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭trevortronics

Hi
    For my E353 and 4GR on O2 prepay:

Apn = open.internet
    Username= leave blank
    Password = leave blank

• Registered Users Posts: 22 brenvan2000

Hi
    For my E353 and 4GR on O2 prepay:

Apn = open.internet
    Username= leave blank
    Password = leave blank

Thanks a mill!

Hi All!

New firmware out since a few days ago, version 5.0.16: http://www.dovado.com/firmware

Wide smiles from the 4GR crowd, who experience connection reliability like never before. WiFi issues are resolved as well.

Thanks

Team DOVADO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

neilc wrote: »
    Hi guys, looking to buy a router compatible with the E353 dongle. Just signed up for the 3 National Broadband Scheme with the 25g allowance. The Dovado doesn't appear to be compatible with the following taken for their website.
    Huawei E353s-2 (NOT HiLink E353Ws-2 sold by 3 Sweden and others)
    Mine is the Ws-2, any advice greatly received.
    Hi DOVADO,
    The above is quoted from a separate thread. Any plans to support the Huawei E353Ws-2. Thanks.

• Advertisement

neilc wrote: »
    Hi DOVADO,
    The above is quoted from a separate thread. Any plans to support the Huawei E353Ws-2. Thanks.

You might want to contact them at their site. Strangely, they no longer list boards.ie on their: We participate in the following online forums listings.

http://www.dovado.com/

Just as an aside, the 4GR Firmware is now up to 6.0.1.

Dovado Firmware page.

http://www.dovado.com/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&view=viewcategories&Itemid=28

We do not support the HiLink version of the Huawei E353 modem, only the regular version.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

From a Dovado rep on another site: -

Howdy!
    We (DOVADO) only support a certain flavor of the Huawei E353. What we DO NOT support is the variant containing a feature called "Hi-Link". This is a hurdle which renders the modem incompatible with any router on the market today that wants to use it as a conventional modem.
    Hi-Link is a feature which turns the modem itself into a NAT'd router and cuts down the installation time on a PC from 1 minute to 15 seconds (*sigh*). So if you insert it into a router, that's 2 layers of NAT you have to work with. We can support it in that manner, but that's not what anyone desires, so we chose not to pursue that for now.
    Anyway, we hope that Huawei will publish a firmware which will allow folks to switch off this "feature".
    Cheers,
    Sam / Team DOVADO

Dovado have upped the firmware for all their current products: Doma, Tiny and 4GR ..to 6.1.0, which covers a feature that was a pretty glaring omission before, SMS over 4G Modems. The Router now supports a wide variation of current 4G and LTE Modems.

http://www.dovado.com/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&view=viewcategories&Itemid=28

---

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hecklehim

Is there a certain brand of repeater that the Dovado team recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭td2008

Yeah also wondering is anybody using a repeater? The signal is pretty bad in a lot of the house so want to do something, would the new N routers have a better range than the old umr?

hey td2008, I can answer your question without any help from Dovado. I had the umr and upgraded to the Doma. The range is worse.

That's just my experience, and I can provide no data to support except that where my ipad picked up the signal before - it now doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭td2008

Thats a pity, anybody else do anything to boost their signal?

This afternoon I went out and bought an Edimax Universal Wi-Fi Extender EW-7438RPn and all my problems have been solved. Super easy setup and so far everything is looking good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

hecklehim wrote: »
    This afternoon I went out and bought an Edimax Universal Wi-Fi Extender EW-7438RPn and all my problems have been solved. Super easy setup and so far everything is looking good.

Home plugs can be another simple solution. 3G Router > Ethernet cable > Home Plug > House wireing > Home Plug > Ethernet cable> computer. You can even plug a wireless router in place of the computer to go back to a wireless conection.

Advertisement