Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony NEX 5 - Lenses

• 29-04-2012 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Currently have a Sony Nex 5 ! Looking to buy the 18-200 lens but they are quite expensive here in Ireland.

Anyone know god web sites were you can buy them cheaper ie USA etc ?

Any advice welcome cheers.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Youll need lenses with an A mount so, I have a few for sale listed on adverts that would be compatible, I have a Sony A33 and I got some good ones from USA on ebay, postage wasnt too dear either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 hjs007

id prefer to keep with the NEX lenses as the body is quite small so want to keep in line with the camera style

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

BengaLover wrote: »
    Youll need lenses with an A mount so, I have a few for sale listed on adverts that would be compatible, I have a Sony A33 and I got some good ones from USA on ebay, postage wasnt too dear either.

NEX cameras use the e mount, the A mount adapter would run around 300 euro ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Here's Digital Rev's (Hong Kong) selection of E Mount lenses (both Sony and third party): http://www.digitalrev.com/category/e-mount/MTc4MjE1OA_A_A

I haven't bought from them yet, so I have no personal experience with them. but search the posts here for other people's experiences. Shipping, VAT and Import Duty are included in the quoted prices. For warranty, what you do is get repairs done locally (and pay yourself), then send the bill to Digital Rev, and they re-reimburse you. Details here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

About €150 cheaper than digital rev here for the Tamron, and it's from the uk so no hassles with customs charges.

An 18-200 would be too big for an NEX for me though, it's the nice small size of the camera that I love. I'm thinking of getting rid of my bulky 18-55mm and replacing it with that tiny 16mm lens.

• Advertisement

An 18-200 would be too big for an NEX for me though, it's the nice small size of the camera that I love. I'm thinking of getting rid of my bulky 18-55mm and replacing it with that tiny 16mm lens.

I'd love a Nex 7 and a pancake lens roughly somewhere between 24 and 35 mm as a second camera. But that 16mm seems to be the closest thing. The Nex bodies are so small and neat that almost anything sticking out of it look too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Yeah exactly. I have a nex c3 and it's a great little camera, quality wise the pics out of it are comparable to my D700, it's just the lenses that let it down. The 16mm looks great because it's tiny (I think it's supposed to be around 50g) and it's 24mm equivalent is just about the perfect wide angle fov.

Even though the camera is tiny, with any of the lenses you'll still need to throw it around your neck or carry it in a bag to bring it with you. By the looks of the 16mm you'll be able to just pop it in your pocket. That's what I want.

I think sigma have a 19mm prime that's small enough. but still about three times the size of the 16mm.

I think sigma have a 19mm prime that's small enough. but still about three times the size of the 16mm.

Hmmm... it seems Sigma also have a 30mm 2.8 that's a little smaller than the 19mm (though still a lot bigger than the 16mm). It doesn't look too bad on the Nex 7, but still not really pocket sized.

Some day...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Toast

I got the SEL18200 last year in the states for $850. Might be easiest getting someone to pick you one up if they're holidaying over there (preferably a state without sales tax which was $50 of that price).

I've been really happy with the image quality and the OSS is really impressive but be warned it is heavy. One of the first things I did after getting it was replace the stock strap because it literally doubles the weight of the camera. Also standard enough advice but get an ND filter on the front for protection. It's over half a kilo so you won't have to drop it far to cause damage even without the camera attached. I'm one filter down and in debt to a pushy sales clerk following what I thought wasn't much of a fall for my bag.

Anyway I'm actually trying to find somewhere in Dublin with the sel50f18 at the moment which is how I found this thread. Looking to get it before I head on holidays to Barcelona at the end of the month (so if anyone happens to know stores in Barcelona to try thats always an option). So far I've put queries into Conns and Camera Centre but not looking great for getting it in time. Any other shops in Dublin that carry Nex lenses?

edit: conns got back to say they're getting it in Tuesday.

Advertisement