Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The serious thread

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Sarky wrote: »
    I've had enough time to give it some thought. Let me see a show of hands for people still in favour of applying this suggestion in some manner.
    I would think such a thing might work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

No harm in giving it a try...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I might be fun to toy with some new inmates :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

We are afraid to come in Deki!
    Why ?
    Its a good idea in other forums anyway. A lot of forums have regular posters and an intro thread lets new people know they are welcome and that the posters are friendly.
    I think you can say they are welcome to participate and post, but who can define friendly or enforce friendliness?

You could put some sort of initiation test or something fun in it too.
    I am not sure what that would be. I also think we may have to define fun as compared to silly? Also I think this is just getting too complicated and I 'm wondering if it's worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Deki wrote: »
    I also think we may have to define fun as compared to silly?

Good point. I'm not sure I understand the distinction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Ok I'll take the perspective of someone brand new to the forum. They get here and see a lot of crazy things and don't really know what to do. They might read a few threads, see a few regulars going back and forth with each other. The serious thread is stickied here and reading this does not give the impression of a friendly forum at times.

Friendliness can be enforced by reporting posts you feel are unfriendly or bullying to be extreme.

Having an intro thread gives new people a place to go straight to where they can be welcomed, and get a good feeling about the place.

I was just thinking that maybe get the newbies to draw a funny picture or find a gif that displays their current emotional state, just something I thought of!

good ideas Peach and hope it works. I don't post here as much as I once did because my "fun" didn't seem to match up to others fun- Don't want to cause problems. Everyone finds their own niche

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Defining fun or silly will end in tears. As will any attempts to add more rules.

I do not aim to let this place become a fluffy magical land of sunshine and flowers and happy elves for mollycoddled users. That way lies the stagnation of the recent past. This forum is finally starting to crawl out from under its label of boring forum for rubbish threads and toothless recycled fun for special snowflakes, and I'll set fire to the servers before I let it slip back that way again. Safe becomes boring. A bite is required, and shall remain. Posters need to be able to stand up for themselves, riff off others, provide silliness for others to react to. Simply counting and chatting don't provide that.

I'm busy with many things at the moment, and will unlikely have time to do anything serious about this for another week. Suggestions will be much appreciated, as long as they account for what I typed above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Yay on the charter.
    The newbie place could work - I'm not sure if I think it will have much use as TCN scares the crap out of anyone unfamiliar anyway. It *is* quite a daunting place to post in but at the same time, it makes the beauty of it.
    Less drama would be lovely.
    The main reason I'm not here as much is actually work (no interwebs/time) and a far too busy real life (imagine that), but also a wee bit the "mundane" threads, with far too little silly and other posters who just don't get it. (That would mainly be transfers from AH, the poor things, and rambler by's for the record).
    We need more MS paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I think we should just keep moaning about how unfunny the nest is now compared to back when and how some of the posters just don't get it till nobody posts anymore :)

• Advertisement

I would definitely give thumbs up to sNarah and Orange2 posts- if I could. I think I (and this is my own distinction and I don't expect anyone to agree or care if they don't) Fun is something you have - silly is something you are. I don't think TCN was(is) meant to be fun although silliness can lead to fun. I might have fun playing games, or spending time chatting but fun is a result. Silly is more a state of being. After a night of silliness I might think "what fun I've had." There are several forums for fun. This is so far as I can see the only one for silly.The hard part of silly is everyone is silly to a greater or lesser degree as well as to the extent you are able to see silly in others.
    I really can't see why anyone would be afraid to post here. It isn't like some snippy scary thing can come leaping out of the web page and bite you. If you don't like what goes on I guess you should post somewhere you feel more comfortable or just let time pass - because things will change, so will the posters. (and in the end it won't matter one whit )

I just know that I personally tried to start posting here and I didn't really feel welcome by some. I know of another poster who was new and felt the same thing as we spoke about it together.

I don't mean to single you out Deki but just to comment on if you don't like what goes on go somewhere else, and thats what we did. But maybe another option would be to change a few things rather than suggest that to posters.

I'm not meaning anything bad here, I just don't want to see the forum go in a wrong direction and I mean my suggestions here with the best intentions. I only posted here briefly, so I'm just giving my 2 cents on my experience. Just want the forum to be a good place, whether I post here or not.

I didn't mean to upset you in any way Peach. I used to post here a lot and now not so much. It used to be a bunch of posters and I enjoyed the numbers and the silliness. Somehow it changed, Not so many and not as jumping as it was. Things change. I hope I never made you feel unwelcome Peach.
    I can understand that Sarky doesn't want the nest to be a copycat of other forums. I can also understand that chat threads can cause headaches and counting to a lot of people might be boring, although the very idea is pure silliness. He may ruffle feathers but he actually has good points and is a good mod.
    I don't know what started this latest reassessment - I think it doesn't really matter. I do know that all the rules in the world won't make people be someone they aren't . I think TCN is a little raw and lacks manners sometimes- sort of like the wild wild west?. I don't really think there is a problem to solve. I hope my words don't affront anyone.

Hey Sarky...I referenced TCN I'm AH...it even got a thanks...cool or what eh?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056564902&page=2

Cicero wrote: »
    Hey Sarky...I referenced TCN I'm AH...it even got a thanks...cool or what eh?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056564902&page=2
    It's on page 3 though, kinky.

It's on page 3 though, kinky.

Are you serious?

Remember, before relying to that comment, this is the serious thread...

*just sayin*

Cicero wrote: »
    Are you serious?

Remember, before relying to that comment, this is the serious thread...

*just sayin*
    Yea it's actually on page 3. Your link goes to page 2.

Sarky won't like this!

This is le Serious thread peoples :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Am I technically a newbie? I have found it to be quite nice here, I like both the fun and silliness. Also I think I am getting the hang of it but I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

I've seen you around here a few times (I think). I wouldn't call you a stranger tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap

Hi Sindri if you read this,sorry to see you are site-banned,I will miss your silliness in TCN.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

It's just for a month, not permanent thankfully

ivx40m.png

later12 wrote: »
    It's just for a month, not permanent thankfully

ivx40m.png

Ah that is good news,i just hope i will be around in a month and not be banned myself,it might even happen that i close my account in a huff as nobody ever thanks my posts except my Mother and a few kind souls who take a pity on me.:o

How do I find this ban list??

My nosy sense is tingling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

How do I find this ban list??

My nosy sense is tingling!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/banlist.php

hondasam wrote: »

I did not know people were banned for such spurious reasons,nearly everybody on that list posted nothing more than what they had for breakfast.:confused:

It wasn't nearly as exciting as I had hoped. But took me away from my super interesting paper on the EU-Canada free trade agreement for a bit.

It wasn't nearly as exciting as I had hoped. But took me away from my super interesting paper on the EU-Canada free trade agreement for a bit.

Yeah i was so bored i just reported myself to the spammer notification thread,it is not just hondasam who has a death wish today:(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77909198&postcount=2722

I thought there was going to be a sort of welcome thread for newbies as a trial? Is that idea out the window now? :confused:

• Advertisement

I think you can start one Teddy, Just play nice with the new ones.:)
    If someone objects then we will deal with it then,but can't think why anyone would.

Advertisement