Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2012

• 15-06-2011 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,
    I have just finished a degree in biological and biomedical science at NUI maynooth with a 2.1. I did 1st year physics and two years of chemistry as part of the course. I am considering sitting the gamsats to get into graduate medicine. I'm just wondering if any one has any advice ? knows how much study is needed , how hard is it to get into graduate medicine ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Take a look around at the other threads on here and on newmediamedicine. Though looking at sample papers, the GAMSAT looks tough. Science section (III) looks doable but still needs a fair bit of revision.

I'm considering doing it myself next March, I'll be in 3rd year of my degree then so I can redo if I mess it up I guess.

Can anybody vouch for any particular course of guidebook for the GAMSAT. I have access to plenty of material for section 3, but sections 1 and 2 I'm very wary of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GerMaguire

I too am considering sitting the 2012 GAMSAT although I think I've surpassed considering and have decided to go for it. I have just finished my degree in NUIM but I don't have a science background I studied Anthropology and Spanish, so I am not too concerned about section 1 and 2 more so section 3. Any advice would be really appreciated as well as any pointers on which textbooks are good? GAMSAT says the only one they endorse are ACER! But I was looking at a few others that seemed helpful like "The Gold Standard". Does anyone know of any prep courses or study groups? Also study time Ive been told to spend approx 6 months studying for the GAMSAT? Although I don't know how realistic this is?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

GerMaguire wrote: »
    I too am considering sitting the 2012 GAMSAT although I think I've surpassed considering and have decided to go for it. I have just finished my degree in NUIM but I don't have a science background I studied Anthropology and Spanish, so I am not too concerned about section 1 and 2 more so section 3. Any advice would be really appreciated as well as any pointers on which textbooks are good? GAMSAT says the only one they endorse are ACER! But I was looking at a few others that seemed helpful like "The Gold Standard". Does anyone know of any prep courses or study groups? Also study time Ive been told to spend approx 6 months studying for the GAMSAT? Although I don't know how realistic this is?!
    I did my degree in Anthropology and Sociology in NUIM (good times), and decided to take a swing at the gamsat in December/January.

It was almost ten years since I did leaving cert biology and chemistry, so pretty much had to start from scratch for section 3 and cover everything in 3 months.

Got a 61 in March despite completely and utterly fcuking up on the day(seriously) so 6 months would probably be more than enough time.

Get the ACER materials before you do anything else, and practice UNDER EXAM CONDITIONS (if I had done this correctly I would have scored a hell of a lot higher - my mental stamina was abysmal on the day of the exam by the time the dreaded section 3 rolled round).

Actually before you get the ACER materials, get the griffiths gamsat ebook. There's no science in it, but read it cover to cover and you'll know EXACTLY what you're going to have to do.

So aside from people selling things and whatnot. I'm thinking maybe we should put up a definitive list of materials to help for GAMSAT based on personal use and worth.

I cant say a whole lot myself, but I'm currently going through Griffiths GAMSAT Review and as a non-science student, its pretty damn helpful for sections 1 and 2 and it gives a pretty good overall view of section 3.

I've seen elsewhere about getting Philosophy books and such to read, but are they much benefit or could someone get up to the same standard by reading general fiction/keeping up to date with news/doing sample papers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 littlesquirrel

I think you can get by with just being uptodate with whats going on around the world reading newspapers and whatnot the irish times is great with things like that!Practice writing as many essays as you can!

I'm finding the MCAT 1001 for verbal reasoning is really good for the section 1!

the ozimed papers are great for getting used to doing GAMSAT! The ACER books are a must!

For Section 3 chemistry for dummies, physics for dummies and organic chemistry are brilliant for people with both science and non-science background well that's in my own opinion!:)

Des O'Neill course notes for all three sections are really good expensive but good!

Hope that helps a bit! :D Fingers crossed GAMSAT UK goes well!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭cliona88

I just bought all of my gamsat materials today from a girl in first year of graduate medicine in limerick. I'm really excited to get started working through everything, there's an incredible amount of material to get through but it'll be worth it in the end! Anyone in the kildare area who's interested in studying together let me know! I'm planning on doing about four hours study a day and my aim is to do well in the march sitting of the exam. I have been advised to travel to london to sit gamsat uk, for a practise run more than anything! Is anyone else considering this?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Hi Guys,

Anyone up for starting a gamsat study group in Dublin for GAMSAT 2012?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭lonelywanderer

Hi Cliona and Flanders!

Cliona - I'm Doing GAMSAT in London and Dublin in the next 9 months. Did Commerce and French at UCD and was just moving aimlessly towards working in Finance and after work experience and a lot of thought on a year off teaching in Paris I've decided I'm going to do Medicine, always at the back of my mind but never thought it a possibility until I looked into it properly.

I'm going back to work in Paris again but if anybody is around before September and preparing for the London date I'd like to meet up and see what other people are doing! I'm waayyy behind, focusing on the Irish exam but giving the London one a go with 2 months preparation for experience/practice. I'm near enough UCD, live on the luas line at Kilmacud.

p.s. just a word of warning for anyone considering diong the HPAT: You need 500+ to have any chance.
    I did the HPAT but have little or no chance of getting in that way. I did it for practice in the end but the highest score ever achieved is 230/300 so there was never any chance of me getting in with 505 points (given that you need around 725 overall). You need at least 520 to give you any sort of real chance! Otherwise you need to finish in the top 1%... and below 500 forget about it honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TomTree

is it too late to register for the Gamsat 2012 ????

Hi Guys,

Anyone up for starting a gamsat study group in Dublin for GAMSAT 2012?

hey, yeah i think thats a great idea! id definitely like to join one!

• Advertisement

TomTree wrote: »

no as far as i know you can't register until after the 31st of october, so plenty of time!

TomTree wrote: »

no as far as i know you can't register until after the 31st of october, so plenty of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 golgi

Im up for a gamsat study group in dublin area, plan on sitting it in march, was considering UK in sept but theres just no way id be prepared enough.

Is anyone considering sitting the UKCAT's before Oct as well ??

Im living pretty close to city centre but have a car so can travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sparrow3

Hi guys, just thought id offer some advice as was in your place last year-

Even if you dont feel you are prepared for the GAMSAT UK exam , it is really really beneficial to sit the exam to get the experience.

The GAMSAT is unlike any exam you have ever done and is testing your ability to manage your time effectively and analyse mountains of information and extract what is important as much as it is testing your scientific knowledge.

Sitting in an examination hall from 9.30 - 5.30 and sitting 3 different types of exams is a gruelling experience and the more familiar you are with it the better you are going to get on

The only other advice i would give is practice , practice and practice essays - you only have one hour to write 2 well thought out and structured essays :
    • the essay section is an easy way to seriously increase your overall grade.
    • Write an essay on as many broad topics/themes as you can - you'll either get a theme in the exam which you have done or you can twist a different theme to make it relevant
    • The Des o' Neill structure/approach to essay A and B is very good
    anyway , best of luck to all

I've been reading through A.C. Grayling's "The Meaning of Things" as some prep for section II but I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be getting from it? Has anyone done this and what way did ye go about preparing?

Also, would ye recommend getting essays marked and if so where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Annaroberts22

sparrow3 wrote: »
    Hi guys, just thought id offer some advice as was in your place last year-

Even if you dont feel you are prepared for the GAMSAT UK exam , it is really really beneficial to sit the exam to get the experience.

The GAMSAT is unlike any exam you have ever done and is testing your ability to manage your time effectively and analyse mountains of information and extract what is important as much as it is testing your scientific knowledge.

Sitting in an examination hall from 9.30 - 5.30 and sitting 3 different types of exams is a gruelling experience and the more familiar you are with it the better you are going to get on

The only other advice i would give is practice , practice and practice essays - you only have one hour to write 2 well thought out and structured essays :
    • the essay section is an easy way to seriously increase your overall grade.
    • Write an essay on as many broad topics/themes as you can - you'll either get a theme in the exam which you have done or you can twist a different theme to make it relevant
    • The Des o' Neill structure/approach to essay A and B is very good
    anyway , best of luck to all

Hey :-) Do you know if the essay structure from Des O' neil is available anywhere without having to buy the whole set of notes? I'm using different study material but was just wondering what des oneil has to say about the essay.

hey, Id love to get involved with a study group if there is one going? anywhere really in general dublin/meath/kildare area is easy enough for me to get to! if anyone else is in these areas? Im not sitting the uk exam but i plan on sitting the one here in March, if anyone else is planning on doing the same or has info on technique etc. would be really appreciated!
    Thanks =D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sparrow3

Hey :-) Do you know if the essay structure from Des O' neil is available anywhere without having to buy the whole set of notes? I'm using different study material but was just wondering what des oneil has to say about the essay.

im sure you can pick up a second hand set pretty cheap - personally think des o neill structure and approach to essays is better than Gradmed

• Registered Users Posts: 12 laurielu

Id love to get involved in study group aswell. Would city centre be best for people or would surburbs be easiest? I could ring some of the big librarys and see if there is a study space available for a group.

I think it would be beneficial to meet up within the next week or so and try and identify exactly what were going to need to do and come up with a plan for study.

What do people think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

Hey guys,

Count me in for a Dublin-based study group.

Please msg me with details if this materialises.

Thanks !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭pollypigwash

You can do the essay course as a stand alone. I did. I still have the notes at home but I reckon you'd be better doing the course as its the feedback from your corrected essays and knowing you are on the right track that is more valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 GOING4BROKE

Hi All,

I would also be interested in a study group, I am based in Wicklow but I am happy to commute to somewhere that suits all and I am most days. Send me a mail if this is happening.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

Right guys & gals,

Ive sent most of you PMs, but just in case I missed anyone:

Ive created a GAMSAT study group on meetup.com for people in the Dublin area:

http://www.meetup.com/GAMSAT-Study-Group-Dublin/

This meetup group will allow members to schedule and attend meetups for GAMSAT study.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 getleft

Jammyc wrote: »
    I've been reading through A.C. Grayling's "The Meaning of Things" as some prep for section II but I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be getting from it? Has anyone done this and what way did ye go about preparing?

Also, would ye recommend getting essays marked and if so where?

Hi. I did the GAMSAT in 2010 and scored 71 in Section 2 (currently going into stage 2 in UCD GEM). They way I prepared for section 2 was I got as many sample essay titles from the different forums (newmediamedicine, pagingdrproboards, etc). Then every day after work I pulled 2 titles out of a hat and wrote the essays under exam conditions. I then rewrote the essays after the "exam" session with the aid of internet/books of quotes, etc. This approach provides the best of both worlds as you are writing under pressure, and also get to learn about the various themes.

I didn't actually use any quotes in the end during the real thing. I think some people may put undue emphasis on this element of section 2. The examiners seem to want you to be able to (eg) see both sides of an argument, as opposed to being able to recall an apt quote. The basic structure of intro - point - counterpoint - resolution/conclusion worked well for me.

Hope this helps.

getleft wrote: »
    Hi. I did the GAMSAT in 2010 and scored 71 in Section 2 (currently going into stage 2 in UCD GEM). They way I prepared for section 2 was I got as many sample essay titles from the different forums (newmediamedicine, pagingdrproboards, etc). Then every day after work I pulled 2 titles out of a hat and wrote the essays under exam conditions. I then rewrote the essays after the "exam" session with the aid of internet/books of quotes, etc. This approach provides the best of both worlds as you are writing under pressure, and also get to learn about the various themes.

I didn't actually use any quotes in the end during the real thing. I think some people may put undue emphasis on this element of section 2. The examiners seem to want you to be able to (eg) see both sides of an argument, as opposed to being able to recall an apt quote. The basic structure of intro - point - counterpoint - resolution/conclusion worked well for me.

Hope this helps.

Thats great, thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 strangeweather

Hello everyone,

Just wondering if there's anyone in Galway interested in knuckling down to some study? . . . hopefully kicking some Gamsat ass :rolleyes: !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mementote

hi all,

just a quick note to say hi and introduce myself.

I'm sitting Gamsat on 25/03/2012 in Dublin. I've already sat the Dublin one in 2010 and took a year out this year with work, so if I can give any assistance to anyone please don't hesitate to ask.

I'm also going to sit the HPAT on 25/02/2012 as I plan on doing the mature entry route aswell - might as well try both routes.

As for me, my background comes from law, have a 2.1H LLB and the barristers degree. I worked previously for a year in drug treatment.

Look forward to getting to know people on this, and if a study /support group forms for Dublin 2012, count me in

M

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Cmack

If anyone is looking for a good section 2 resource:

This link is to an essay by George Orwell, about writing essays. It was probably the single most useful thing I read before I did the GAMSAT in March and ended up getting 70 in section 2.

The rest of the site contains the complete works off George Orwell with plenty of other useful material. Enjoy!

http://www.george-orwell.org/Politics_and_the_English_Language/0.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18 legallyblondex

Hello everyone,

Just wondering if there's anyone in Galway interested in knuckling down to some study? . . . hopefully kicking some Gamsat ass :rolleyes: !

Hey! i am based in sligo so im sure a bit of commuting could be done!are you sitting gamsat in London in september?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 The3Musketeers

Hi there!

So I've made the decision to do the GAMSAT having just finished my genetics degree. I was hoping someone could fill me in on what materials are essential, as I'm on quite a tight budget. I feel I'll probably be okay-ish at section 3, hopefully!

So what does everyone find most useful for sections 1 and 2? Or would you all recommend just buying a heap of 2nd hand stuff in a package from someone on boards?

Thanks!

Advertisement