Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Re-Booting Peugeot 106 XN

• 05-11-2011 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

My parents have a 1998 Peugeot 106 XN 1.6 diesel. It has been sitting up for nearly 3 years now as when my sister got her own car, they transferred their insurance from the peugeot onto her car.

My question is: In order to get it back on the road again, what needs to be done?

From my own knowledge, battery, oil, tyres, timing belt, diesel (if you can call it that now :o) flushed from the tank, all fluids checked, all rubber components checked.

What am I forgetting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Hi all,

My parents have a 1998 Peugeot 106 XN 1.6 diesel. It has been sitting up for nearly 3 years now as when my sister got her own car, they transferred their insurance from the peugeot onto her car.

My question is: In order to get it back on the road again, what needs to be done?

From my own knowledge, battery, oil, tyres, timing belt, diesel (if you can call it that now :o) flushed from the tank, all fluids checked, all rubber components checked.

What am I forgetting?

Yea I think all that isn't a bad idea.

I'd replace the brake fluid and check all the brake lines in addition to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

As an aside was it not the 1.5 diesel?

They were great little diesels. A real miser on fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

It's 1569cc or something like that! I have a feeling that it's going to cost a lot more than it's worth to get this going again.

There's a huge payoff for it being a miser on fuel....0 - 60 in 1.5 months, and it's the loudest engine ever put into a road car!

Bit of an update:

We didn't do anything to the car and jump-started it on saturday. Apart from a rough start and black stones under the exhaust tip, it ran unreal well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Bit of an update:

We didn't do anything to the car and jump-started it on saturday. Apart from a rough start and black stones under the exhaust tip, it ran unreal well :D

Bit a Nordie diesel and she'll be clean as a whistle ;););)

• Advertisement

It was just the initial start-up that puffed out the black stuff. After that it was as clean as could be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Had ye been moving it regular enough? If not ye got very lucky, yoke at home at various bits seized after a similar "holiday".

langdang wrote: »
    Had ye been moving it regular enough? If not ye got very lucky, yoke at home at various bits seized after a similar "holiday".

20th December 2009 was the last time the engine was started before saturday. Since then it sat there without moving at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

nice lil car, id say would be perfect and cheap for move around for little money. dont forget get stamp at GARDA station , otherwise will be charged for all these years :)

It's seriously economical but there's so little power it wouldn't pull the socks off a dead man! It takes weeks to get from 0-60 but then again it was built originally to be economical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Just get better music or listen to more interesting radio shows! Do the filters and fluids will restore a little power probably.

How are the brake discs?

Just get better music or listen to more interesting radio shows! Do the filters and fluids will restore a little power probably.

How are the brake discs?

The sh!te radio in it is looking for an unlock code and we don't know what it is.

If you knew this car, you wouldn't say that about the filters haha

Advertisement