Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Children in the front seat

• 18-06-2010 6:56am
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hi all,
    Just something that Ive been thinking about. Does anybody know why children arent allowed in the front seat? I know children under a certain height/size have to have an additional booster in the back, but when they reach a certain age, they dont. From this point, why are not allowed in the front? If anything, being in the front seat is safer. More airbags in the front, etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

i THINK it has something to do with the power at which the airbag is released it can injure a child because they would get it to the face...

I could be wrong but i think it's something like that anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Children are allowed in the front seat if the airbag can be de-activated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

I thought it was only babies that were not supposed to be in the front - due to the airbag. Surely once the child can sit with seatbelt on correctly - its safe to sit in the front ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

voxpop wrote: »
    I thought it was only babies that were not supposed to be in the front - due to the airbag. Surely once the child can sit with seatbelt on correctly - its safe to sit in the front ?

I think the height limit is 5 feet or 12 years of age. I think the height is the one to work to and if over 5 feet then front seat shouldn't be a problem.

Where safety belts have been fitted, they must be worn.
    Children under 3 years of age must not travel in a car or goods vehicle (other than a taxi) unless restrained in the correct child seat.
    Children aged 3 years or over who are under 150cms in height and weighing less than 36 kilograms (i.e. generally children up to 11/12 years old) must use the correct child seat or booster cushion when travelling in cars or goods vehicles.
    Children over 3 years of age must travel in a rear seat in vehicles not fitted with safety belts.
    A rearward-facing child car seat must not be used in the front passenger seat of cars with active airbags.
    A child car seat must be in accordance with EU or United Nations - Economic Commission for Europe (UN-ECE) standards.
    Make sure passengers aged under 17 use the correct seat, booster seat, booster cushion or seatbelt. All drivers are legally responsible for this

Nothing about kids in the back - unless you've no seat belts.
    From here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anyone know what the situation is for kids in vans?

Although I think having kids in the van means your not using it for work purposes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I thought theres a law that kids under 12 have to be in the back seats if theres back seats, unless the only seat belts are in the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

BostonB wrote: »
    I thought theres a law that kids under 12 have to be in the back seats if theres back seats, unless the only seat belts are in the front.

It was the law when they first brought seat belts in

It was the law when they first brought seat belts in

Correct, that's all been superceeded by the above.

Essentailly your kid can sit anywhere as long as they're in an appropriate child seat or booster. No babies near the airbags up front. No seatbelts?>>sit in the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I see plenty kids under the age of 12 in front seats with boosters....

I wasn't aware it was illegal. (Scandalous on the parents behalf if there is a back seat) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I see plenty kids under the age of 12 in front seats with boosters....

I wasn't aware it was illegal. (Scandalous on the parents behalf if there is a back seat) :rolleyes:

It seems if they have booster seats, they are allowed to sit anywhere in the car. If they dont have a booster seat, they are not allowed travel?

Also, its not scandalous in fairness. When in the mini, my daughter sits in the front in her seat (shes nearly 7) because the seats are safer in the front. The rear belts are the ones that have no give in them, just tighten them to the desired tightness. Also, there are no rear headrests, so nothing stopping her head going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Richie..Galway

but my car has 10 airbags 4 of which are in the rear so whats the situation with that then? kids are always in the back because they are 3 and 4 years old but whats the situation with airbags in the rear if thats the reason they cannot sit in the front in a child seat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

but my car has 10 airbags 4 of which are in the rear so whats the situation with that then? kids are always in the back because they are 3 and 4 years old but whats the situation with airbags in the rear if thats the reason they cannot sit in the front in a child seat

The reason for the front seat is because the airbag comes out of the dash and can hit the baby or baby seat. Babies necks being weak and having big head means that forward/backwards motions are very bad. The rear ones are most likely in the doors

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Kids can sit in the front once they are in the appropiate seat. A kids seat can be in the front but not a rear facing seat if there's an active airbag. The reason being when the airbag is deployed it will push the rear facing seat into the chair and the baby may be suffocated etc.

A front facing seat can be used these days afaik. Once it is appropiate for the child and is properly secured that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My 10 year old is able to sit in the front as she is taller than 150cm and heavier than 4 and a half stone.

If you are over 12 and under 150cm you can sit in the front with NO seat belt.

You have to be 150cm to sit in the front so the seat belt fits you correctly. The seat belt doest not fit people under 150cm correctly and could cause them injury in a crash, the average height of a 12 year old is 150cm (4 foot 9in).

In the Uk and France a 10 year old is able to sit in the front as long as they are taller than 4f 5in. Ireland always has to go 1 step further.

If you are over 12 and under 150cm you can sit in the front with NO seat belt.

Well that's just wrong and stupiud tbh. You must wear an appropriate seatbelt, be you 12 or 62 years old...

A child under 12 may be in the front in his/her child seat / booster as long as the correct straps & seatbelts are used.

What annoys me more is the amount of people driving around with kids in the back or front seats and no belts used at all. No child strapped in is a dangerous and stupid thing to be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

There was a small girl killed beside me in newmarket a few years ago. She was in the front seat. Her mother was turning in to a filling station when a car hit them only a fender bender now but the passanger airbag deployed and the girl was killed as a result.

Op i think we will need someone like nice guy always to answer your questions properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It is not the airbag per se that kills children in the front seat in an accident ...it's the fact that they are too small, slide under the belt (or rather get pushed out of it) and then meet the exploding airbag full force.

An airbag only works in conjunction with a properly fitting seatbelt ...if you're not belted in (or too short for your belt) the airbag does more damage than good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Yawns wrote: »
    Well that's just wrong and stupiud tbh. You must wear an appropriate seatbelt, be you 12 or 62 years old...

A child under 12 may be in the front in his/her child seat / booster as long as the correct straps & seatbelts are used.

Quote form citizens advice website:
    A person aged 12 years or more who is under 150 cm in height is not required to use a seatbelt even if this is provided but they must use an approrpaite child restraint when travelling in cars or goods vehicles fitted with safety belts. They are of course free to wear the belt but people under this height are outside the limits of the safety belt design parameters, so there is a possibility that a safety belt could be injurious to them in some circumstances. For this reason, the law allows them to choose for themselves to belt up or not to belt up. This is irrespective of whether they are sitting in the front or back of the vehicle.

• Advertisement

Was that to backup my argument or against me cos you quoted me. I said they must use an appropriate belt didn't I? Like if you have a child in a car seat in the back, the seatbelt isn't used for the child but for the seat, the child will be restrained via his straps.

You must realise that it means you may or may not use the seatbelt only, but you MUST use an appropriate restraint...

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

heres a link from rsa website .

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Campaigns/Current-road-safety-campaigns/No-Child-Car-Seat---No-Excuse/How-it-works/

once you have the appropriate seat and restraints it is safe and legal to have your child in the front . it is recomended only that the safest place for your child is in the back seat.

4 years dude....

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

didnt cop the date , my bad .

** red face **

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭ Caleb Acidic Watch

Sorry too bump this thread. Can a 3 year old sit in the front seat of my vivaro van whilst wearing a seat belt?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

You need a proper car seat/ booster seat for her also but yeah she can.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Sorry too bump this thread. Can a 3 year old sit in the front seat of my vivaro van whilst wearing a seat belt?

A quick google returns:

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Campaigns/Current-road-safety-campaigns/No-Child-Car-Seat---No-Excuse/How-it-works/

Advertisement