Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Id be suprised if they replace Massa mid season, Ferrari are quite stubborn and generally will keep with something that is clearly not working!

Maybe Declan Kidney could replace Massa then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Infoanon

amacachi wrote: »
    You don't get points for not finishing. Prost seemed to be able to nurse cars where Senna couldn't.
    As for the '94 car, it's hard to know. Apparently it was unpredictable handling-wise and towards the end of the season Mansell was way faster than Hill at some tracks so it's hard to say exactly what the story was.

Money. That's why there's **** all Italians in F1. Ferrari already have all of Italy behind them as well as Italian sponsors. What can they gain from having an Italian driver?

Prost was renowned for finishing where he needed to position wise - no more no less, Senna would always go for a win BUT could also nurse a car home - See Senna's first Brazilian win if any doubt.
    1994 was the first seen without all the electronic gizmos and it took a while for Williams to get it sorted - we are all aware of the allegations made about Benetton - btw Sky F1 just showed a review of the '94 season - and the questionable antics at seasons end.

Ferrari - 1984 the last time a driver got fired early on - Arnoux - Cannot see Massa be let go especially when the car itself has so many issues.
    The elephant in the room is Robert Kubica and his rate of recovery and potential to return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

As silly as it may sound one of the reasons I want Massa to move on is because I hope Felipe Nasr gets a good shot at F1 either next year or the following. Having a similar name to such a poor driver isn't a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Id be suprised if they replace Massa mid season, Ferrari are quite stubborn and generally will keep with something that is clearly not working!
    I wouldn't be too surprised anymore. :D

amacachi wrote: »
    As silly as it may sound one of the reasons I want Massa to move on is because I hope Felipe Nasr gets a good shot at F1 either next year or the following. Having a similar name to such a poor driver isn't a good thing.
    It's almost identical if a londoner says it as they pronounce words ending with and "a" as "r". :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

ottostreet wrote: »
    Well, I've seen an article on P-F1 forums saying that Italian newspapers are suggesting Trulli!

Stranger things have happened...what have they to lose?

Planet F1 is about as reliable as The Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,612 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

4 races down, with 4 different drivers and 4 different teams winning. Amazing :D

Before the European season kicks off in Barcelona, there will be a 3 days of testing at Mugello, so it will be interesting to see what car modifications the teams will come up with. This is where the development race kicks off.

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    4 races down, with 4 different drivers and 4 different teams winning. Amazing :D

Before the European season kicks off in Barcelona, there will be a 3 days of testing at Mugello, so it will be interesting to see what car modifications the teams will come up with. This is where the development race kicks off.
    Ferrauber:

ferrauber_12.jpg

It's an old enough pic now but that's the idea. Really shows how ugly that Ferrari is. It would be a lovely looking car apart from the front part of the car.

Yeah, saw that photo before.

Here is Gary Andersons view on the Ferrari side pods:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Yeah, saw that photo before.

Here is Gary Andersons view on the Ferrari side pods:

I don't get it, why Ferrari can't produce new side pods and whatever parts as fast as, for example, RedBull are doing? RB is playing with two different exhaust body panels since beginning of the season.
    I think Ferrari still has some fundamental problem in their wind tunnel/factory OR they simply don't have skilled enough engineers. It's not about money for sure nor it's about actual racing team onsite.

When you look Ferrari's stepped nose, isn't it just a plain step? It doesn't seem to have any kind of air flow managing lines. If you look Merc , their nose is twisty and streamlined.. many others cars too. Ferrari designed theirs with a notepad? __/

freestyla wrote: »
    I don't get it, why Ferrari can't produce new side pods and whatever parts as fast as, for example, RedBull are doing? RB is playing with two different exhaust body panels since beginning of the season.
    I think Ferrari still has some fundamental problem in their wind tunnel/factory OR they simply don't have skilled enough engineers. It's not about money for sure nor it's about actual racing team onsite.

When you look Ferrari's stepped nose, isn't it just a plain step? It doesn't seem to have any kind of air flow managing lines. If you look Merc , their nose is twisty and streamlined.. many others cars too. Ferrari designed theirs with a notepad? __/

Ferrari chose to go down the radical route for this years car and it hasn't worked for them at all as we can see. So I say instead of coming up with minor upgrades for the 'flyaway' races, Ferrari have to decided to solely focus on major upgrades, the first of which we will see at Mugello with more upgrades due for the Spanish GP. I expect the car will have a new rear end, exhaust system plus other upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Bernie Ecclestone has announced that the French Grand Prix will be returning from 2013 onwards at Paul Ricard.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Formule-1/Actualites/Ecclestone-a-dit-oui/278825

Hey, what do you know, he owns that track.

I think I read somewhere else that its going to rotate with Spa :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I think I read somewhere else that its going to rotate with Spa :mad:

NOOoooooooooooooo!!!

Goddamnit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Yay! Another flat circuit with little to no actual characteristics other than some fancy blue/black coloured run off areas and a long ish straight. Hope to god that they at least change the layout somewhat and make it more interesting.

I also read that they were alternating with Spa every year, that sucks major major ass. Spa is easily the best track on the calender and they're keeping Valencia... the mind boggles

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Yay! Another flat circuit with little to no actual characteristics other than some fancy blue/black coloured run off areas and a long ish straight. Hope to god that they at least change the layout somewhat and make it more interesting.

I also read that they were alternating with Spa every year, that sucks major major ass. Spa is easily the best track on the calender and they're keeping Valencia... the mind boggles
    As always, money money money money money.... :(

Daniel S wrote: »
    As always, money money money money money.... :(

Suppose Bernie has to keep the money flowing to finance his daughters lavish spending

mans_1920897c.jpg

95 million that cost :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Suppose Bernie has to keep the money flowing to finance his daughters lavish spending

95 million that cost :eek:

Pocket change to him.

Such a shame about Spa if it is true. I remember my first time there and seeing my first F1 car charge up eau rouge. It was spectacular.

Ricard is actually quite a nice track and is well liked by drivers who race at it.

Its very tedious viewing though. I've seen countless GT and Ferrari challenge races and they've always been very samey. Very little overtaking outside pitting as there aren't many spots to challenge to get past. Even Mistral straight leads to a fast right hander where overtaking isn't really possible unless there's driver error.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

There's actually quite a number of different layouts at Paul Ricard. Hopefully they will be using the same layout that was used up until 1985, the Mistral straight could be one huge DRS zone. But more than likely they will use the chicane on the Mistral straight to slow the cars down before Signes. And yes the circuit was very popular with drivers and spectators back in the day. Still though, I'd love to see F1 return to the rollercoaster that was Dijon.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    There's actually quite a number of different layouts at Paul Ricard. Hopefully they will be using the same layout that was used up until 1985, the Mistral straight could be one huge DRS zone. But more than likely they will use the chicane on the Mistral straight to slow the cars down before Signes. And yes the circuit was very popular with drivers and spectators back in the day. Still though, I'd love to see F1 return to the rollercoaster that was Dijon.

Dijon was always my favorite track in france. I've spent hours watching F1 re runs. '79 with Arnoux and Villeneuve was classic f1

Dijon was always my favorite track in france. I've spent hours watching F1 re runs. '79 with Arnoux and Villeneuve was classic f1
    France has had some really great F1 circuits over the years, Rouen, Clermont-Ferrand and Reims in particular. Hell I'd even rather see F1 return to Magny-Cours than watch them race at Valencia or Abu Dabi.

It's great to see the French Grand Prix back though considering the history that it has.

France has had some really great F1 circuits over the years, Rouen, Clermont-Ferrand and Reims in particular. Hell I'd even rather see F1 return to Magny-Cours than watch them race at Valencia or Abu Dabi.

It's great to see the French Grand Prix back though considering the history that it has.

I'd agree with that. Happy to have France back on the map, especially so with Grosjean for them to follow now too. And at least Paul Ricard is more accessible for fans via Marseille than say Magny-Cours in the middle of nowhere.

There's actually quite a number of different layouts at Paul Ricard. Hopefully they will be using the same layout that was used up until 1985, the Mistral straight could be one huge DRS zone. But more than likely they will use the chicane on the Mistral straight to slow the cars down before Signes.

Paul Ricard, last held the French GP in 1990. The old Mistral Straight was 1.8km long!

I'd say this will be the layout for the race:

800px-Paul_Ricard.svg.png

Paul Ricard, last held the French GP in 1990. The old Mistral Straight was 1.8km long!
    They used a shorter layout though after Elio de Angelis' death there in 1986. They turned right just before Verriere and they only used just over half of Mistral Straight. I'm hoping they will use the original layout but of course they would have to sanitise it, the feckers. If I'm not mistaken isn't there a chicane now at Verriere as well?

One of the reasons the Belgian GP is going to alternate with the French GP is that Spa can't afford to host the race every year, and having it rotating with the race at Paul Ricard is the only real option if the GP at Spa is to survive.

They used a shorter layout though after Elio de Angelis' death there in 1986. They turned right just before Verriere and they only used just over half of Mistral Straight. I'm hoping they will use the original layout but of course they would have to sanitise it, the feckers. If I'm not mistaken isn't there a chicane now at Verriere as well?

Here is the 1986 to 1999 GP layout:

Paul%20Ricard%201986.gif

3.812 km long.

Its very tedious viewing though. I've seen countless GT and Ferrari challenge races and they've always been very samey. Very little overtaking outside pitting as there aren't many spots to challenge to get past. Even Mistral straight leads to a fast right hander where overtaking isn't really possible unless there's driver error.

There's a few tracks that are boring as **** when F1 run on them yet produce good action for other categories so ya never know how F1 cars will be like on it til they've had a race around it.

• Advertisement

There was an article in F1 Racing a good few years about the track in Rouen, great track.

This was the layout 1955 - 1970:

Rouen%2055.gif

Advertisement