Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Boards.ie Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Can you filter by type of Ride so that everything doesn't appear on the Boards page?

I find my daily commute fascinating but I don't want to bore the rest of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

you can tag the ride as a commute if you like when editing it, dunno if that's enough for you

Done that, but it still shows up as 90% of the rows.

It also pollutes what your "followers" see. i.e. they get spammed every time you upload them.

I checked on their forum and it's on their todo list to tidy up, and the workaround is to make them private, which I do, however the filter still doesn't work I think. Will see what happens later.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

a bit off-topic, but strava have fixed an issue that was annoying me and perhaps others (hence the post). Some detected segments have been coming up as Unnamed Rd climbs, or sometime something more meaningful but not the best. You can now rename the segment by going to its web page and clicking on the text e.g. 'Unnamed rd climb' and it will turn into an edit box allowing you to change.

back on topic having joined the climnbing comp, my garmin today decided to fix me at about 150m elevation for the whole ride ! worked around it by uploading to garmin connect, applying elevation corrects, exporting to tcx file, and uploading to strava, et voila, sort of !

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

I'm in too, my measly 8k over the last couple of months had moved us up zero places to #32!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

Gotta say, Strava is great for the leaderboards and giving motivation when you hit a hill, but a lot of the stuff on there is really janky. The elevation calculations on some rides are way way off, the calculated power is all over the place in several regards (sometimes it just keeps asking for your weight and never calculates anything, then sometimes the values it calculates seem really weird), they have hiccups in which rides seemingly disappear (I lost KOM on a hill last week, checked it a few days later and I was back at the top - about half the rides registered on that hill were gone. Stayed that way until about 2 days later, then they're back and I'm #2 again), the "Recent Achievements" are recent in the sense that it's pulling from things you recently uploaded and not things you actually did recently, it only calculates segments when you upload - so if you go back and put in an older faster ride it still says on achievements for the newer one that it was your fastest time. Oh also some segments seem to appear out of nowhere, there's a couple I was registered on where I was the only person to do it and was KOM, that I didn't create.

And last but not least it shows me w/ 19km of climbing on my profile page, and only 5km in the contest! That's a petty one I know :D It's a really great idea for a site, I just hope they can work all these implementation issues out in time and that scaling up isn't an issue for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Yeah, it's got a lot of problems all right but it's still fairly good and way better than garmin connect...

mfdc wrote: »
    The elevation calculations on some rides are way way off

Do u have an example of that, its usually the garmin or mobile data thats wrong on the elevations as they Starva doesnt have any elevation correction for europe ?

The site definitely has its foibles, but its great fun to use and as was pointed out its way better than garmin connect or any of the others (except for drawing new routes). The support link on strava web page will answer q.s and even fix things for you, so given its free, Im not too bothered about any glitches. It has loads of potential as well, now the idea is/has taken off, I can think of loads of new features e.g. a map of all the latest cat x climbs in an area with some kind of colour coding for hot routes (base on speed/frequency of use/gradient etc). Having a better view of segments you or others have ridden on opens up a gamut of possibilities too.

seve65 wrote: »
    Do u have an example of that, its usually the garmin or mobile data thats wrong on the elevations as they Starva doesnt have any elevation correction for europe ?

Here's an example - 5000m of climbing on the Wickow 200, when SportTracks gives 2400m. There's a few others aswell, there's a segment for the entire Marmotte course that lists the elevation gain at 2000m when it's really closer to 5000.

thats way out alright ! Stick a question up on the strava support would be intersting to know their answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Just signed up with Strava and joined Boards.ie club there also. I have 82,950m of ascent this year which is saved in Garmin Training Centre on my PC. Can I upload this to Strava or does it have to come from the GPS device? I usually delete the history from my Edge 705 every few weeks after saving the files.

• Advertisement

you can...export to tcx file from training centre, then upload via strava web page- choose file upload.

Files have to be done one at a time....or zip up all the files and e-mail to Strava to upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Files have to be done one at a time....or zip up all the files and e-mail to Strava to upload.
    Not true, I uploaded my hundred odd files normally, only took two batches iirc.

Copy all the files back onto the gps and bulk upload from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭cantalach

IIRC correctly, when Strava first started up it had an import feature whereby it pulled in all your old ride data from Garmin Connect. Unfortunately, Garmin sent them a cease-and-desist letter and, being a tiny company and not wanting to take on a big shot like Garmin, Strava pulled the feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Plastik

Just off the Top-25 Overall now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Plastik wrote: »
    Just off the Top-25 Overall now!

There's a problem where private rides don't count towards the KoM competition goal, so for example when I upload all my commutes @100+m each way none of it counts because I mark all my commutes as private.

http://support.strava.com/discussions/problems/1297-riders-missing-from-kom-competition-inaccurate-total-feet

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Ok I've just joined the Boards club and also entered the KOM event. I've uploaded a few rides from September and they show up on my profile/training etc. (they are not private) but when I go to the KOM page over on the right hand side it states that my total climbing for the year is zero.
    So does that mean my few rides do not contribute to the Boards total and only those that I do from now will count? It's only about 8800ft so it's no big deal, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

I have the same issue. DASTARDLY00 cleared it up (See the comments sidebar).

Turns out that they only support devices that have a built in barometric altimeter including the Edge 305, 500, 705 and 800. Otherwise climbing data won't be included.

I'm using an iPhone with the Strava App so nothing I do gets added to the pot.

daragh_ wrote: »
    Turns out that they only support devices that have a built in barometric altimeter including the Edge 305, 500, 705 and 800. Otherwise climbing data won't be included.

If that's true then there's something else going on too - I use a Forerunner 305 which doesn't have a barometric alti and it's including some of my rides in the KOM total but only about half. I did import older rides in a really roundabout way though so maybe the device ID got changed to an Edge or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

daragh_ wrote: »
    I have the same issue. DASTARDLY00 cleared it up (See the comments sidebar).

I'm using an iPhone with the Strava App so nothing I do gets added to the pot.

Cheers.

It seems strange that my runs all have elevation data on them yet they can't use them in the KOM event.
    I was hoping it was to do with bad timing;
    You can upload rides for a particular month up to two days after the end of the month. So rides for this February, for example, will be accepted into the competition so long as they are uploaded by the end of March 2nd.
    It's a pity because I could have done with the extra incentive, I suppose I could concentrate on the segment achievements.

jimm wrote: »
    Just signed up with Strava and joined Boards.ie club there also. I have 82,950m of ascent this year which is saved in Garmin Training Centre on my PC. Can I upload this to Strava or does it have to come from the GPS device? I usually delete the history from my Edge 705 every few weeks after saving the files.

Boards now 26th.

I have uploaded all my 2011 history from GTC to Strava. Strava is giving me credit for only 75,016 metres of climbing, while I have 82,950 "Garmin" metres. Still, it puts me 4th for 2011 in the Boards Club :) but gives me nothing for individual months except October, as rides have to be logged up to two days after the end of the month :mad:.

Quote from their FAQ:
    What about all the rides I've done before I joined the competition?
    All your rides starting after January 1st 2011 will be retroactively recognized and supported as long as you recorded them with a supported device. So don't worry if you are signing up after the event has started.
    You can upload rides for a particular month up to two days after the end of the month. So rides for this February, for example, will be accepted into the competition so long as they are uploaded by the end of March 2nd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 kemase

Just added my 27,000m-odd total to the KOM total

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Plastik

Top25!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Didn't realise you had to join the climbing competition seperately - just logged my 24,800m to the mix - now we're in 22nd place :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Cork lads, there's a new record up Airport Hill. Get this lad signed up..

http://app.strava.com/segments/638157

cantalach is going to be pleased !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Joined, but uploaded gpx files from MyTracks on Android, so don't think my metres count towards KOM competition.

73.9km/hr up a 4.4% hill.:eek: OK Max Ryan, petrol or diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭dooverylittle

I was cycling in mais mallorca this year and the same guy had logged some great times!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Max got the axe. http://app.strava.com/segments/638157

Normal service resumed - though I can't see anyone taking Cantalach's crown without getting some sort of mechanical assistance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I just joined - my miserable contribution keeps us in 22nd place. Haven't been on the bike in 6 weeks now, but with 2 weeks off coming up, that will change now.

Advertisement