Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France in Motorhome - where to start

• 11-01-2009 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Myself and my wife are thinking of going to France this year in the MH.
    We'd like good weather (20s) so I reckon we'd be talking May / June timeframe.
    I'd like to try a few sites / places while we're there (for about 2 weeks), but my wife would like good facilities (like a pool) on the sites (or on some of them anyhow).
    Is there a good guide / website that would be a good start point for us as we haven't a clue to where to start looking - I've googled it but I can't find a good overview type website.
    Or any suggestions people have would be great.
    Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

The AlanRogers guide book is our "Bible" when travelling, available from Easons or any good bookshop.
    May/June is early season so you'd have lots of choice in campsites. The Vendee region is usually a safe bet for weather, fantastic beeches and lots to see & do. Saint Hilaire de Riez and St Jean de Mont are two lovely places on the Vendee coast with lots of high quality campsites.
    http://www.les-castels.com is a chain of sites which are mostly 4 star campsites spread throughout France. Highly recommended.
    Do a search through this forum and you'll find quiet a few more recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

silly question ...but if it's only the two of you, why limit yourselves to restrictive and expensive campsites?

France is peppered with "aires de service", designated motorhome overnight spots that allow you to explore the hinterland and all the nooks and crannies that make France what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Thanks for the info stapeler.

I hear what you're saying peasant - I'd like to do a mix of both really, so we're just exploring our options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

I regularly use the Alan Rogers website to find campsites but then book directly as it's cheaper.

If you want a nice place to stay that's not too far.... I head to Roscoff or Cherbourg and then stay at www.camping-les-embruns.com

5* site. Indoor pool and right beside the beach. Lots to see and do in Brittany too. Only 2 hours from Roscoff and 4 from Cherbourg.

Then if you have extra time you can head south towards the Vendee and St. Jean de Monts or Noirmoutier. If heading home by Cherbourg you can take in Mont St Michel.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭wonderworm

At that time of the year you don't need to book anything. We always go in July/August and have never had a problem getting in to sites, admittedly, sites on the coast are busier but should be fine in May/June. Go to www.vicariousbooks.co.uk and buy the Caravan Clubs books on campsites in France, Spain and Portugal and go to www.alanrogers.com you can look at campsites by region and get an idea of their facilities. Anyway good luck and enjoy, I know we did when we were planning our first trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Fantastic !
    Thanks for all the info :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 corklad1

if your in the vendee region try le bois masson in st john de mont,has pool, shop, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18 atb

sebu was haven has a site there i was there last year loved it has pool bar entertainment and shop it is about 2km to village lovley for shopping ect and has a lidle store hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭camper guy

Hi all .:)

Do i have to travel for the sun in early june.

Wife doesnt want to travell far off the ferry

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Hi camperguy, you've good chance of sun in Brittany and Vendee in early June,a great time to go cos its alot less busy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

We went to Brittany in late May/early June and had bad luck with the weather while people we spoke to on the way back had great weather further south. Went a bit further last year around the same time and had great weather. 5 hour drive from the ferry wasn't too much of a strain.

• Site Banned Posts: 243 ✭✭yardeyar

HI WE'VE VISITED FRANCE MANY TIMES IN OUR MOTORHOME AND ITS VERY FRIENDLY, SOMEONE SAID ABOVE THERE ARE MANY "AIRES" TO PARK OVER NIGHT, THE NORTH OF FRANCE IS EXCELLENT FOR WORLD WAR ONE AND TWO PLACES OF INTERESTED, THE WEST COAST IS WONDERFUL DRIVING THROUGH LA ROCHELLE (EXCELLENT AQUAIUM), BORDEAUX AND SOUTH TO BIARRITZ (EXCELLENT AIRES ON COAST ROAD BESIDE BEACH), ALSO CENTRAL FRANCE THROUGH THE CHAMPAGNE REGION VISITING THE MOET FACTORY IS A MUST. GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A SAFE TRIP. YEAH!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

Hi all, does anyone know where we could get a list of the Aires in France. Has Spain got these Aires?. Thanks.

Hello Bessa, we pick up our Aires guide in a book shop when we get of the ship, try this... http://www.motorhomefacts.com/modules.php?name=Aires
    Good Luck! YEAH!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

Thanks Yardeyar i have just ordered the Motorhome Stop guide from Outdoor Bits its a great site.

Your very welcome any other questions/advice only too happy to help a fellow camper, you'll love France, its all geared up for motorhomes. YEAH!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 12 zuzutje

When it come to France, these are my favorite site:

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/recherche.php
    Click on Choisissez un departemant (choose county) and you get list of site's
    Sometimes site's are comments in english.

and her are some more links:
    http://www.i-campingcar.fr/
    http://campingcar.enliberte.free.fr/03_franc/03c_fr-d.htm
    http://pagesperso-orange.fr/bernard.tartois/
    http://www.france-passion.com/
    http://www.eurocampingcar.com
    http://www.campingfrance.com
    http://i-campingcar.fr/aires/accueil.htm

Regards Vincent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭chrisblack

That camping-cars site is spot on... Thanks for the link..

Anyone any idea on mobile/wireless brodband access in France... Will I be able to find some free wireless networks... or am I going to need to get a usb broadband modem to use my netbook (the main intention being to identify Aires).

Thanks

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Chris, unless your minted and really need to be online I wouldn't be using a usb modem,unless its a local one;)

I found loads of sites with wifi last year,some free,some not so.Its getting bigger by the week,not just on campsites but in general.Wifi is the way to go.

Found a few large hypermarches with free wifi,mcdonalds(not that I ever use them,thats a different story) will give u their code for the price of a coffee as will many bars and hotels.

For a list of aires,try http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm

Theres loads of lists about to download before you go....

Have fun,I'm off for 7 weeks in July,can't wait:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 salmon7

Hey guys
    Looking for info / experiences on things to do in Bordeaux area. Will be staying in Ile d'oleron possibly as well for a few days. Something in the line of vineyards and safe cycling routes in the Bordeaux area. What suitable place to choose ( municipal sites preferably) to use as a base to visit the famous vineyards and that local area.

Many thanks in advance
    Salmon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭n1st

Hi,

Any updates on this for 2017/2018.
    I'm hoping to motorhome in out VW T5 in early June 2018 for 3 weeks. Cherbourg to Biarritz and back. 2 adults, 1 child and 2 dogs.
    That's at least 30hours driving spread over 3 weeks. Is this doable?
    I'm particularly interested in camping in Forested sites which have amenities like a shop and showers.
    Any particular guides or blogs out there which are up to date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

There’s tons of stuff here on that topic. Just search over the past while. I’ll repost some of my older posts if it helps. It’s all great and you’ll love every minute.

SeamusG97 wrote: »
    There’s tons of stuff here on that topic. Just search over the past while. I’ll repost some of my older posts if it helps. It’s all great and you’ll love every minute.

If the information here is still relevant and up to date the don't go to the bother of reposting. If you have learned something new since then then please share of you don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

n1st wrote: »
    Cherbourg to Biarritz and back. 2 adults, 1 child and 2 dogs.
    That's at least 30hours driving spread over 3 weeks. Is this doable?

Definitely doable! On French roads, you should be easily able to do up to five hours a day in two stretches, with a two-hour lunch break of course!

With my children, we never had any trouble with the driving bit - just set out with a vague idea of what direction we were heading, and followed signs for places that looked interesting. Drive - stop - drive - stop - drive - stop.

We had the advantage of being entirely self-contained (other than occasional top-up/dump stops) so we never had to book sites. That's still how we do things today, although it's usually just me+1 at any one time (and the odd hitchhiker).

Just a quick comment on the OP - temperatures of 20°C ? You can get that in February!!! Worst holiday we ever had was (before we had our camper) when it was 36°C in June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

n1st wrote: »
    If the information here is still relevant and up to date the don't go to the bother of reposting. If you have learned something new since then then please share of you don't mind.

Happy to post a link or two - assume you want campsites and not Aires. Pity if not. Also +1 On CelticRambler’s post. Never needed to book a campsite once in eleven years - the odd time we actually used campsites. Had to ring ahead once to make sure of availability nine years ago near Les Baux. We prefer the freedom of Aires and rarely visit campsites unless there’s no alternative or need to do washing. That’s two adults and two kids who spent six weeks a year from four and six to fourteen and sixteen. Outside of the peak two weeks in August all of France yours to chose from. Aires, Campsites are there for you to enjoy.

I don't think Aires would suit. We do not have a toilet.
    I would prefer a campsite for the child too, some kids to play with on safe ground.

Advertisement