Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declan Ganley - Prime Time special

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

If Ganley is going to sue, he must have basis for doing so.
    If he is going to sue - so far we have a threat of legal action, which is little more than PR that can then be used by his supporters to speculate that "he must have basis for doing so". Just as you are now doing, BTW.

Even if he does sue, this does not mean that he has a strong case, or a particularly good basis for legal action. Sometimes it is enough to be seen to be suing, especially if the result of any such case does not come out until after a strategic milestone (such as the European elections).

Given this he may have a good basis for suing, and may win, too - but we don't even have enough information to speculate on this at present, let alone form opinions. All I can say, is that regardless of the strengths his potential case, threatening to sue is a good PR move, as might the PR benefits be of even an unsuccessful case if timed right. This is independent of whether RTE can be sued successfully or not.
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    From experience, RTE tend to be cautious about getting their facts straight. I don't believe for a moment that they straight-out fabricated witness statements.
    I think it highly unlikely that they would have fabricated witness statements. Of course, whether they can subsequently prove they said this, or that they are not simply repeating libellous claims (which are libellous in itself) are another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

mumhaabu wrote: »
    RTÉ set out deliberately to tar the guy as some sort of corrupt criminal and did a real hatchet job on him.

What I find so funny about this statement is that Declan Ganley did the very same thing to the Lisbon Treaty as RTE are being accused of doing to him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

molloyjh wrote: »
    What I find so funny about this statement is that Declan Ganley did the very same thing to the Lisbon Treaty as RTE are being accused of doing to him...
    Source of money and goal are different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'm curious whether Ganley actually will sue. I'll be mildly surprised if he does. From experience, RTE tend to be cautious about getting their facts straight. I don't believe for a moment that they straight-out fabricated witness statements.
    And mildly surprised you are!

Ganley to sue Rté for defamation over this programme broadcast November 2008
    The legal action relates to a Prime Time programme, which aired in November 2008, during the Lisbon Treaty Referendum.
    Mr. Ganley believes that the programme contained "extremely serious, defamatory allegations" against him.
    He also accuses the Prime Time team of attempting to discredit him both personally and professionally and undermine his opposition to the Lisbon Treaty. http://www.galwaynews.ie/23301-declan-ganley-sue-rte-defamation

I'm curious whether Ganley actually will sue. I'll be mildly surprised if he does. From experience, RTE tend to be cautious about getting their facts straight. I don't believe for a moment that they straight-out fabricated witness statements.
    I might have agreed with you three years ago when you posted this, but following Philip Boucher-Hayes's screw up over the Pamela Izevbekhai case, I'd have considerably less faith in their competence. I'm surprised he kept his job after that, TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

in today's indo
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ganley-takes-legal-action-over-rtes-prime-time-report-2967017.html
    The plenary summons, which was served last Friday evening, comes three years after the programme -- which Mr Ganley believes contained "extremely serious, defamatory allegations" against him -- was aired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He took him three years to figure out he was slandered? Very oppurtuntist timing by Mr. Ganley.

It's not really. Ganley stated publicly a week after the broadcast that he planned to sue rté, see post #97.
    It was updated in May 2009 to:
    A file is being prepared for what Mr Ganley said would be a significant and extensive legal action against RTÉ and Prime Time.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm sure it's pure coincidence that this case is suddenly ready to go to court within weeks of the "Mission to Prey" fallout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

I'm sure it's pure coincidence that this case is suddenly ready to go to court within weeks of the "Mission to Prey" fallout.

And the up coming Treaty vote. Ganley hasnt much pull over the media like the gov or large political parties.
    So i am sure rte wont be as tough on him as they have in the past. Or a least that what he is thinking.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    It's not really. Ganley stated publicly a week after the broadcast that he planned to sue rté, see post #97.
    It was updated in May 2009 to:
    Legally irrelevant. Indeed, delaying prosecuting a case of libel can actually work against you - a court will ask why you didn't sue at the start when it first happened, and Ganley would have to have a good reason for this.

It's possible that he has attained evidence only recently that would help him win a case, although I don't know how this would help him as the onus of evidence is on the defence and not prosecution in a libel case (maybe evidence supporting claims has instead been 'neutralized'). Perhaps he just wants the publicity for an ulterior motive. Perhaps he didn't have the money to pursue such a case three years ago.

Whatever the reason(s) for his delay they are occult to us; more-so than any other personality in Irish politics Ganley seems to have a scheme within a plan hidden behind a stated intention. Or not.

It's why I find him the most entertaining personality in Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

In a statement, the Libertas chairman said his legal advice was that the programme was actionable.

A file is being prepared for what Mr Ganley said would be a significant and extensive legal action against RTÉ and Prime Time.

RTÉ has said it has not had any contact from Mr Ganley or Libertas in relation to the matter and so was unable to comment at this time.

The station said Prime Time fully stood over the programme as broadcast.

Guess the date...

amused,
    Scofflaw

Monica Leech bought a defamation case against a newspaper group in 2009 for articles printed about her in 2004. It was found she was defamed. Go figure the 4+ year timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭chunkylover4

The statute of limitations is two years if you can prove that a special reason exists as to why it should be extended from one year.
    However if the material is still available then publication is ongoing so possibly the material is available online?
    38.— (1) Section 11 of the Act of 1957 is amended—
    (a) in subsection (2), by the substitution of the following paragraph for paragraph (c):
    “(c) A defamation action within the meaning of the Defamation Act 2009 shall not be brought after the expiration of—
    (i) one year, or
    (ii) such longer period as the court may direct not exceeding 2 years,
    from the date on which the cause of action accrued

snubbleste wrote: »
    Monica Leech bought a defamation case against a newspaper group in 2009 for articles printed about her in 2004. It was found she was defamed. Go figure the 4+ year timeframe.
    Winning a defamation case is one thing, level of damages is another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

The statute of limitations is two years if you can prove that a special reason exists as to why it should be extended from one year.
    However if the material is still available then publication is ongoing so possibly the material is available online?
    38.— (1) Section 11 of the Act of 1957 is amended—
    (a) in subsection (2), by the substitution of the following paragraph for paragraph (c):
    “(c) A defamation action within the meaning of the Defamation Act 2009 shall not be brought after the expiration of—
    (i) one year, or
    (ii) such longer period as the court may direct not exceeding 2 years,
    from the date on which the cause of action accrued

The 2009 Defamation Act is not retroactive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

The 2009 Defamation Act is not retroactive.

BY which I think you mean it does not apply to a defamation case based on a libel before 2009, but I don't think you're right - the law should apply to any case taken after the law is passed:
    The law of defamation in Ireland is governed by the Constitution, common law and the Defamation Act 2009. That Act repeals the Defamation Act 1961, which was in force until the first day of 2010. The Defamation Act 2009 now governs all claims of defamation arising since the commencement of the new legislation

On the other hand, the article I cited earlier is from 2008, so it's possible Ganley can point to his intention to sue at that point as bypassing the limitations period.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

So ask RTE.

Fr Kevin Reynolds, RTE defamation case doesn't come to mind?

censuspro wrote: »
    Fr Kevin Reynolds, RTE defamation case doesn't come to mind?
    It certainly didn't come to mind in 2008 when I made the post you quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

It certainly didn't come to mind in 2008 when I made the post you quoted.

Well it comes to mind now, and surely part of the reason why Ganley has decided to act now. Either way, I take you won't be changing your position?

• Advertisement

censuspro wrote: »
    Well it comes to mind now, and surely part of the reason why Ganley has decided to act now.
    If you're suggesting that this is opportunistic of Ganley, I won't disagree.
    Either way, I take you won't be changing your position?
    I've revised my view of RTE's commitment to accuracy, in light of the case you mentioned and others over the past three years. You could have asked, instead of assuming.

Advertisement