Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackboard SUCKS!

• 14-09-2005 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭

This Blackboard thing sucks huge big monkey balls!!
    Not only do i find it racist & offensive, it's NEW TO ME!
    What cheek!
    Introducing new things when i was used to the old things! Fcuk sake!

In my day we had online classes & they did us just fine!
    I don't like these new fangled computerwebthingies!

Bring back on line classes!!!!!!!

I think i sent a message to the registrar askin to host a blackboard course earlier. Oops!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'll drink to that too. It's a pile of crap as a system as well, I can't believe they paid so much for it. The software for Online Classes was free!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Yeah I much prefered online classes, never really got the hang of Blackboard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

UCD continues to astound and amaze with its usual high standard of competence and efficiency.

I for one applaud the senseless change to Blackboard, as it was, well, shucks, just too frickin' USEFUL and user-friendly before. Congratulations to the college authorities for having the foresight and malicious intent neccessary to well and truly f**k up the system.

Kudos UCD. Kudos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Excuse my stupid inertia and the obvious nature of ''online classes'' but what exactly did these online classes compromise of?

SebtheBum wrote:
    UCD continues to astound and amaze with its usual high standard of competence and efficiency.

I for one applaud the senseless change to Blackboard, as it was, well, shucks, just too frickin' USEFUL and user-friendly before. Congratulations to the college authorities for having the foresight and malicious intent neccessary to well and truly f**k up the system.

Kudos UCD. Kudos.

I think Seb is really outdoing me at the moment as the biggest moan on this forum which I'm not happy about *tut* ....... but ya can't beat the sarcasm tho'! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

I wonder if they'll actually give me my blackboard course since i asked for it so nicely & incompetently?
    It'd be the coolest course in the whole college!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Excuse my stupid inertia and the obvious nature of ''online classes'' but what exactly did these online classes compromise of?
    OnlineClasses was the e-learning system used before Blackboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

Excuse my stupid inertia and the obvious nature of ''online classes'' but what exactly did these online classes compromise of??:

it was a dumbed down version of blackboard :eek:

No it was a free and miles-better version, which computing services were too incompetent to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

i dont get this free thing, have we to pay for blackboard, i never did :confused:

nope. the software is free for anybody (ie computing services) to use. blackboard costs a lot initially and the college have to renew their licence to run it each year - hence the rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I like blackboard-we've been using it for two years now and theres even a little message board where we can chat to lecturers and such!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Meh. T'was used in IT Carlow a while back. Think it still is. Not a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

I think i sent a message to the registrar askin to host a blackboard course earlier. Oops!

Expect a reply within 6 to 8 working weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 jellymonster

Blackboard sucks, always has, always will :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Blackboard is great and can be a great educational tool but it's disgracefully underused by the departments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

i like blackboard this year - all my pharmacology and biochem lecture notes are up already for the whole year, sweet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭beanyb

Yeah I found it really helpful when cramming
    for my maths exam last year, but it wasnt really used at all by the other departments. Hopefully that'll get better this year, because if used right it could be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

It was great for Psychology in first year, but the English department are terrified of technology, and philosophy used some online classes and some notes posted on the actual philosophy department website.

I agree that it's woefully underused, and it's a great resource if it is used properly.

Still, I agree that paying for something when a better, free thig exists is thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭Sarn

tribulus wrote:
    all my pharmacology and biochem lecture notes are up already for the whole year, sweet :)

One word of warning, check back just before your lectures to make sure that the same lecture notes still apply to this year. If lecturers have changed, chances are the course may have as well. As a second year it won't be a problem as basic areas need to be covered and are unlikely to change much. This would only really apply to 3rd and primarily 4th year as lecturers often tailor their course to their research area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

will do, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

How does one sign up for courses on Blackboard? When I do a course search and click on one of my courses it tells me...

"Access Denied
    Either you are not logged in or you do not have the appropriate privileges to perform this action."

I registered my courses on stuweb on Friday. Maybe I just have to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭Sarn

From the UCD page. http://www.ucd.ie/computing/itucd/elearning/index.html

Having a problem logging in to Blackboard?
    Although you may have completed the University's registration process, it may take a few days before your courses are actually assigned on the central registration system. Blackboard needs to use this information to verify your request to login and grants access accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Where can i go for a blackboard tutorial type thingy?
    It keeps telling me i can't have access to any of my courses!
    I HATE IT!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

Thanks Sarn.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Farcear wrote:
    Expect a reply within 6 to 8 working weeks.

Ah so about 4 months from now then?

Advertisement