Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best broadband in Herons wood, Carrigaline

• 04-12-2013 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi all guys,
    I'm moving in Herons wood, Carrigaline.
    I'm struggling to find a good broadband offer for the area.
    At the moment I'm in Blackrock, and I've UPC which is great.
    Can anyone help me to find which is the best provider in Herons Wood, Carrigaline?
    thanks a lot!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

Zuzi wrote: »
    Hi all guys,
    I'm moving in Herons wood, Carrigaline.
    I'm struggling to find a good broadband offer for the area.
    At the moment I'm in Blackrock, and I've UPC which is great.
    Can anyone help me to find which is the best provider in Herons Wood, Carrigaline?
    thanks a lot!!!

If your house in Herons Woods has been enabled for efibre, Id go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

FYI Theres no UPC broadband in Carrigaline.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭gemini_girl

Hi ya,
    I'm in Herons wood & we have vodafone fibre broadband & are getting 67mbs. Set rate of 37 euro a month including 100 free minutes for phonecalls

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Zuzi

Hi thank you!
    I've signed for Vodafone as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dhaumi

Hi,

I am moving to that same estate, so I am going to make the same decision. When I look online on bonkers.ie it shows UPC as a possible provider for carrigaline.
    I was wondering if this is a new thing or if UPC does broadband via phone line?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

There were a few older areas of Carrigaline that were cabled way back in the Cork Multichannel era, but I have no idea if there's broadband on that system or if it's even maintained anymore, or if it's just getting an MMDS feed.

It definitely included Glenwood and possibly Wesley and parts of Waterpark.

UPC really should cable some of these areas though. It's a bit ridiculous to leave them off grid.

They just used MMDS all over the place in the 1990s when they should have put cable into housing estates.

eircom's e-fibre (and all the versions from Vodafone, Digiweb, UTV, Magnet etc) are available throughout Carrigaline though.

It is available in Glanmire, Riverstown, Ballincollig, and possibly a few other spots not in Cork City itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭gemini_girl

We rang upc recently to see if things had changed & basically we were told there are no cables to service carrigaline :-(

dhaumi wrote: »
    Hi,

I am moving to that same estate, so I am going to make the same decision. When I look online on bonkers.ie it shows UPC as a possible provider for carrigaline.
    I was wondering if this is a new thing or if UPC does broadband via phone line?

Hi there, happend the same to me, but infact when I called the UPC they said there is no coverage for internet here, only TV.

And one more thing don't believe to SKY they are a slower internet connection here, I've got the vodafone now I've just done a speed test: download is nearly 18mbps.

Anyway how are you getting in here? We've just moved and I love the place. :)

If you're in Carrigaline go for a fibre-to-cabinet based service!

Eircom EFibre
    Vodafone Fibre
    UTV Fibre
    Magnet Fibre
    Digiweb Fibre

All essentially the same access product.

You'll get up to 70mbit/s at present (depending on how far you are from the cabinet) and speeds will increase to around 100mbit/s (max) when a technology called vectoring is rolled out.

Those services should be available to most lines in Carrigaline as the whole town was upgraded.

Thanks for your answers. I tried the check availability when you proceed with UPC online. Definite discard the broadband option...
    I'm with UTV at the moment. Fairly happy with them. I will probably transfer t account.
    Zuzi
    I'm surprised you're "only" getting 18mbps out of the theoretical up to 70Mbps speed promised by the fibre.
    You might be in the "up to 24mbps", ie DSL 2, at least I hope.
    I would be fine with 18mbps though!

Wait and see, I haven't moved in yet. Of all places un Ireland, it was lucky to find that thread!

• Advertisement

Yes I think depends on the area, a friend of mine, living in Curra na carrigh, the estate just before our, is getting 40mbps checking the speed with vodafone...
    I guess so, I'm not a technical person ;)

Zuzi wrote: »
    Yes I think depends on the area, a friend of mine, living in Curra na carrigh, the estate just before our, is getting 40mbps checking the speed with vodafone...
    I guess so, I'm not a technical person ;)
    Interesting. Curra na carrigh is only 1km away from our estate but closer to Cork.
    I will be moving to Ridgewood, so further away from the main road...
    Will see

Your location in the town won't actually impact your e-fibre speed as the service doesn't come from the exchange.

What eircom are using is known as FTTC (fibre to the cabinet). Basically, there's a green coloured cabinet sitting on the street which contains the equipment your phone line's connecting to for broadband. That's connected back to the exchange with a number of fibre optic cables.

You then connect to the cabinet using a very high speed version of DSL called VDSL2.

The distance between you and the cabinet is what matters as the technology being used over the phone lines is very distance sensitive. If the cabinet's extremely near by, you'll get close to 70mbit/s (and beyond when vectoring gets switched on this year).

If you're further away it drops back to maybe more like 40-50 mbit/s

There's a crowd-sourced map on boards.ie's broadband forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056919149

Check it out and you'll be able to figure out the exact locations of the cabinets in Carrigaline and then decide where you want to rent/buy, if broadband speed is a deciding factor.

The only thing I would warn though is the wiring doesn't always take the most direct route back to the cabinet. So, even if it's near by, you might find the wires don't run the way you'd expect and could be much longer / shorter than you'd think!

It looks like there are two cabinets in Herron's Wood area, so I'd be surprised if you didn't get good speeds.

I'm not sure how accurate that map is either, so just look out for the cabinets (There's a pic of them on the link above) and they're all exactly the same. So, you'd be looking for a smallish green cabinet with some distinctive features.

Bear in mind that the rollout's still ongoing, so even in areas that are marked as 'complete' they are continuing to add new cabinets and also 'vectoring' is being switched on which will see speed increases across the board. This is a noise-cancelling technology that allows them to squeeze more bandwidth out of the copper phone lines from the cabinet to your house. Giving you speeds of more like 100mbit/s or so.

Oh thank you for your explanation.

In fact Vodafone said that my area could get maximum 40mbit/s....

It's your individual house rather than area.
    They know how long your line is.

The speed litterally drops off over a few hundred metres. So the houses next to the cabinet get like 60-70mbits... A few hundred metres further away 50 and then it keeps dropping fast.

Vectoring will increase it. However, it's brand new technology and Eircom Wholesale will be one of the first companies in the world to have a fully vectored network.

It's built into all the cabinets and modems already. They just need Comreg approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭animum

I live in herons wood, I have Vodafone, from a recommendation from a neighbours...no complaints here.

Welcome... :)

To be honest, if you're living in a relatively modern development with underground ducts carrying your phone lines into the house, it's quite likely that at some stage in the future fibre-to-home from those cabinets will be rolled out.

UPC may also eventually cable Carrigaline. I don't know why they didn't bother to this point. They certainly cabled some of it in the 1980s. Glenwood and a few other places have cable in place but it seems to only do Digital TV so it's possibly fed by an MMDS feed or it's just not working anymore.

In areas with UPC, 200Mbit/s is already possible, so eircom's under pressure to plan-ahead to keep up with the near-fibre speeds that UPC can already deliver.
    So, I think they're really going to have to look at FTTH (fibre to the home) in the next few years. They've apparently future-proofed the cabinets with enough fibre to support FTTH should it be rolled out in the future though. So, it may not be THAT big a deal to do.

For now, the E-fibre FTTC service (from eircom or any of the other providers using the infrastructure) is pretty decent and provides very usable speeds. It's massively better than ADSL2+ (regular broadband)

Advertisement