Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling forum Raid Pyrénéen trip 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

you forgot a nights hotel on way back to ireland?

Well first climb of 2012 completed today god it was though, having a target up road helped. Loved riding without my glasses.

captain i do have one question, and this has come up few times before, the security of the bikes. If the van is making stops overnight with 10 bikes in the back, what measures are in place secuirty wise?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

manafana wrote: »
    you forgot a nights hotel on way back to ireland?

Well first climb of 2012 completed today god it was though, having a target up road helped. Loved riding without my glasses.

captain i do have one question, and this has come up few times before, the security of the bikes. If the van is making stops overnight with 10 bikes in the back, what measures are in place secuirty wise?

Honest answer, none. What would you suggest? Obviously you wont be able to see what's in the van from the outside and it's not like there's a big sign on the side saying, "loads of expensive bike in here, help yourselves".

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

wells its not huge issue as in pryeenes we should be able bring bikes into room. Id say just choose hotels wisely on way back to ferry. As you say no sign on the van but same time need minimise risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I would prefer to take he risk of my bike in back of van as opposed to trust an airline baggae handler and pay a weight fine for the pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Are we ready to start booking flights?

• Advertisement

I have bought a few Sufferfest vidoes that focus on climbing.

Bring it on.

(I wonder has the Raid every been completed by someone who planned on training indoors where it is nice and warm and avoided this outdoor cycling lark completely).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

ROK ON wrote: »
    I have bought a few Sufferfest vidoes that focus on climbing.

Bring it on.

(I wonder has the Raid every been completed by someone who planned on training indoors where it is nice and warm and avoided this outdoor cycling lark completely).

Which ones? I have Angels (i think) and the huntedl (i think).

Would be great if we could organise some group rides where most of group could test the legs over a good distance.

Im none club affilated so alot my training over longer distance will be mainly solo, so any company is apprecaited. :D of course cause im such a good climber you may have to suck my wheel:pac:

lennymc wrote: »
    Which ones? I have Angels (i think) and the huntedl (i think).

Got the set. I have previously done Local Hero (my favourite), Downward Spiral and Fight Club.

I have just bought Angels and The Hunted. They are now downloading (which is taking an age)

Would be great if we could organise some group rides where most of group could test the legs over a good distance.

Im none club affilated so alot my training over longer distance will be mainly solo, so any company is apprecaited. :D of course cause im such a good climber you may have to suck my wheel:pac:

I think the best thing is to pick a few hilly sportifs (like either Mt Leinster Challenge or Mick Byrne). Alternatively we could all try to meet at a time and place suitable to maybe put down say 150km plus in a challenging route.

Got the set. I have previously done Local Hero (my favourite), Downward Spiral and Fight Club.

I have just bought Angels and The Hunted. They are now downloading (which is taking an age)

I think the best thing is to pick a few hilly sportifs (like either Mt Leinster Challenge or Mick Byrne). Alternatively we could all try to meet at a time and place suitable to maybe put down say 150km plus in a challenging route.

yeah will try do few sportifs myself, orwell would be a good one as likely be early in summer this year, would be up for thougher ones too. I think i may need to break 200km on irish roads to even prepare for the hurt we will encounter in france.

• Advertisement

the hurt we will encounter in france.

hurt? No one said anything about hurt!! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Here is the story so far, I have booked the hotels all the way bar Cerbere as nobody is still answering the phone but I've dropped them an email. I've sent a message to my brother to book the ferry so I'm expecting him to get back to me sharpish.

When I get confirmation emails I'll give you a total price there. We do have another slight price adjustment though, one of the hotel has to give us three singles and another one, I may have mixed up €65 with €75 as they sound pretty similar and I'm calling them with skype on my mobile.

The hotel in Taragon sur Ariège has proposed me €38.40pp room only or €67.70 DBB so I said I'd book room only, if you want this to change let me know but it's a group decision, I'm not going down the road of some people wanting with and some without as it gets complicated and if people forget anyway.

The hotel I'm emailing in Cerbere is this one. It'll end up costing us about €50 per person.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Does anyone actually read this?
    Yes bit did not notice anything wrong.

Yes bit did not notice anything wrong.

I meant the Reason part, I was wondering if anyone reads the reason?

Just looking there, Aer Lingus from Perpignon to Dublin fro €135 the day after late in the afternoon which means we wouldn't have to leave Cerbere until after 11am, which means sexy party on the Friday :)

Thanks very much again for organizing all this Captain, really appreciate the trouble of doing all the bookings etc.

Just looking there, Aer Lingus from Perpignon to Dublin fro €135 the day after late in the afternoon which means we wouldn't have to leave Cerbere until after 11am, which means sexy party on the Friday :)

I will be more than likley getting a lift to a place near Carcasonne on the Saturday - so if anyone wants a lift there for a flight then that can be arranged.

However, if you want to have a sexy party with 10 other blokes, one of whom is your brother, then all I can say is best of luck, but I am aalready spoken for. I am flattered however.;)

Perpignan is not a bad town btw. I recall spending a very fine afternoon drinking (and celebrating) there many years ago, while watching Perpignan beat Leinster. We drove down to Perp from Toulouse just to watch the match on the telly in a local bar. Great craic.

Just talking to the brother there, he says Aer Lingus won't give us a deal but they'd allow us flexibility with a group booking, what that would essentially mean for us is that if one person had to back out, he could be replaced or cancelled without incurring an extra cost. I think this would be a good way forward for us. The down side is that we would fly to Bordeaux and have to get the train down. I don't think there'd be much of a price difference, it's €103 with Ryanair to Biarritz and €95 with Aer Lingus to Bordeaux, train down is about two hours and €30. Don't know what ye make of that.

im happy with anything

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Thanks very much again for organizing all this Captain, really appreciate the trouble of doing all the bookings etc.

You can thank me at the end when all has gone well, we don't know what surprises are in the line yet :D

• Advertisement

Hi,

I will make my own way over as the family is coming with me for a family holiday. I will hook up with ye in Biarritz on the Sunday.

One day three I will try and get the family and some French friends to get to out of the cols and give us a but of suppport/picnic etc.
    The missus will be staying only 70km away from Tarascon, which is where we finish day 3.

all sounds good to me, im willign pay bit extra to go group way, makes getting round less stressful.

Happy to go aerlingus route as go idea if change name on flight should someone be replaced.

90kg is lightweight btw! try 108!!

that was on 14th september 2011. Got me finger out and weighed meself yesterday. 95 kg. sweet. Hopefully break 85 kg by the time this trip comes round!

that was on 14th september 2011. Got me finger out and weighed meself yesterday. 95 kg. sweet. Hopefully break 85 kg by the time this trip comes round!

Well done.

I have dropped 4kg since Jan 1 and now weigh in at 95 also. Goal is also to get to 85kg by say June. It will be very hard, but I have done it previously.

Best of luck.

Well done gentlemen, my self I am down 2.5kgs as well, hoping for 2.5 more before we get there.

What are we doing regarding air tickets? Are we doing a group booking there or we ll just go and book them ourselves?

Well done.

I have dropped 4kg since Jan 1 and now weigh in at 95 also. Goal is also to get to 85kg by say June. It will be very hard, but I have done it previously.

Best of luck.

Im at 86 now planning hit 76 for next summer, new bike in pipeline 2k budget.

Im at 86 now planning hit 76 for next summer, new bike in pipeline 2k budget.

good man.

what training are people doing? Im at about 350 kms with 1750 metres climbing for january. Want to be hitting about 500 kms a week by march with some nice hilly commutes. Want to be hitting wicklow and other hills quite a bit aswell. Thats the plan anyway!

Before we head away would it be an idea to organise a boards raid pyrenee 2012 wicklow spin, for the craic like and to meet each other?

I'm on about 385km in January, 1,700m of elevation gain. I'm not going to go over board on the hill training and concentrate on getting the kms in. Oh and I've put on weight and am 71kg (I'm a midget so not good).

good man.

what training are people doing? Im at about 350 kms with 1750 metres climbing for january. Want to be hitting about 500 kms a week by march with some nice hilly commutes. Want to be hitting wicklow and other hills quite a bit aswell. Thats the plan anyway!

Before we head away would it be an idea to organise a boards raid pyrenee 2012 wicklow spin, for the craic like and to meet each other?
    I'm on about 385km in January, 1,700m of elevation gain. I'm not going to go over board on the hill training and concentrate on getting the kms in. Oh and I've put on weight and am 71kg (I'm a midget so not good).

Similar to the Captain, I want to build a good endurance base before I go crazy on the climbs and begind doing say hill repeats and high intensity climbing. Slowly slowly wins the race says the tortoise to the hare.

When ye say 385km, is that Jan to date or a weekly average.

I am getting out for 3-4 hours every weekend and then during the week I am doing 3-4 1 hour plus turbo sessions that focus on cadence and as base fitness building. As the evenings get longer I will aim to change the trubo with some 2 hour session 2 to 3 nights a week.
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/86430
    The meters gained in Strava are overly generous, but also reflects the fact that I live in a valley, thus to cycle anywhere involves climbing.

On the suggestion of a meetup for a spin. Not a bad idea at all given that we dont know each other. I have met the Captain and Astra.

Wicklow is ideal, but also Slieve Blooms are lovely. If ye ever want to come south to Kerry I can show ye some spectacular routes.
    Would it be best to structure a group ride around an event (say Orwell Randonee or Mick Byrne), or just to put a date in the diary that suits most people (unlikely to suit everybody).

• Advertisement

Mine is month to date, doubt I'll be able to get up to 500kms a week until the football season is over in April. As for meeting up, weekends off are a rarity for me but I'll keep ye posted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement