Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Australia and tattoos

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

nicest place you could move to would be San Francisco, weather is beautiful, not too hot and it gets cool at night. people are nice, no aggressive hassle like you would see in most Irish towns at 3am on saturdays

San Diego is 2nd nicest for weather. big earthquake potential in that region tho in the foreseeable future, alot worse than anything thats happened recently in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Clareman wrote: »
    Ahhh, the lads that go to Sydney, drink Magners in O'Neil's in Kings Cross every weekend till they pass out for 11 months, then go to the Whit Islands for a month, come home to mammy for Christmas and go on about how they can't wait to go back to Oz

Think you are dreaming mate or you just made it up, there is no such Pub as O'Neil's in KX or Sydney.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Some of the wacky feckers even go to the set of home and away and have their photo taken with alf stewart! haha! Mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Do the toilets really flush backwards in Australia?
    Yes it's true, when you flush a toilet in Australia it spews **** and water out all over the floor. It's why everything and anything from Australia smells like ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Think you are dreaming mate or you just made it up, there is no such Pub as O'Neil's in KX or Sydney.

Perhaps he was talking about O'Malleys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I did the whole year thing. It was over ten years ago now. I have no intention of ever returning and only spent two weeks in Sydney.

But.....It was the best craic ever. One of the most fun and wreakless years of my life. PM for a link to my blog where I retell it in every detail :D.

Jesus Micky give it up....it was over 10 years ago...it's time to move on.

I was there from 1999-2001 and you don't hear me sh!tting on about it....:D

*Heads to oz/nz forum to give out of date advice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Perhaps he was talking about O'Malleys?

Maybe as there is an O'Malleys but definitely no O'Neil's, I suppose if you are going to talk shite at least make sure its right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Maybe as there is an O'Malleys but definitely no O'Neil's, I suppose if you are going to talk shite at least make sure its right.

It's hard to remember the names of all them pubs. They all have some diddly-irish name. All just blends into one after a few years...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DubPsycho

kfallon wrote: »
    They pass out for 11 months??? :eek:

That's a waste of their year down there :P

A year wasted is NOT a wasted year;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Doom wrote: »
    Whats the story with lads when they move down there, the hair gets bleached, pumping iron, next tattoos....acting all like they're the coolest fcukers ever, when infact they were nerds at home!!!:rolleyes:

I know about 6 lads like this, Aussies must be laughing their holes off

If they knew how you felt I'm sure they'd tear up the qualification that they studied for that allowed them to travel over there and have their tattos and suntan lasered off. Infact lets have a whipround to see if we can pay for some kind of 'eternal sunshine of the spotless mind' treatment to erase the memories of their time away too. Would that make it all ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

markesmith wrote: »
    What do you expect? Anyone from Ireland who goes to Australia is an unimaginative tool

What in the fcuk have you ever done with your life, out of curiousity? Likely nothing, like most people stuck back home.
    Ahhh, the lads that go to Sydney, drink Magners in O'Neil's in Kings Cross

Outside of the city centres the vast majority of suburban Aussie bars are sh1te. The busy- ish ones are full of old men wasting away their lives on poker machines. The quiet ones dont have anyone drinking in them at all. Barely any have live bands playing. Aussies under a certain age dont have a "local" the same way we do. Its hardly any wonder most Irish frequent places with a bit of live music, young crowd and where you can drink from a pint glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Whats the story with lads when they move down there, the hair gets bleached, pumping iron, next tattoos....acting all like they're the coolest fcukers ever, when infact they were nerds at home!!!:rolleyes:

Because pasty white looks so cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I moved here and I haven't bleached my hair or got a tattoo, I go to the gym but I always did that at home anyway.

I was a nerd in Ireland and I'm still a nerd here only now I actually have a good job and what's looking like a decent career ahead of me. I wouldn't have that if I didn't move here. Normally I wouldn't go around pointing these things out but hey, you brought it up.

I'd safely say I've encountered thousands of Irish since I got here and for the record, I'd struggle to think of more than few who fit the description you've given.

It's pretty pathetic to be putting people down for trying to improve the quality of their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

What do you expect? Anyone from Ireland who goes to Australia is an unimaginative tool

The only unimaginative tool Im seeing is you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

ejmaztec wrote: »

Was there with my parents in 2007, my dad picked one of these up and still uses it to carry around his change.
    Still seems really weird to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I went there for a month's holiday once, I would love to head down there for an extended period of time, it really is a great country, it has a lot going for it, some of the Irish that go down there are more interested in just drinking in Irish bars

Ah, you know those two chaps. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

San Diego is 2nd nicest for weather. big earthquake potential in that region tho in the foreseeable future, alot worse than anything thats happened recently in the world

Not heard of Christchurch NZ mate

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/christchurch-suburb-says-goodbye-4676386

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

cocoshovel wrote: »
    The only unimaginative tool Im seeing is you.

I wouldn't judge somebody for going to Australia, but FFS if people wanted to broaden their minds and experience a different culture they could travel a few hundred K to Europe going to Aus should be considered like going to London apart from further away.

ps never been to down under but I've disliked 95% of the Australians I've met (and I don't dislike Kiwi's, yanks or Canadians at all)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

I've disliked 95% of the Australians I've met (and I don't dislike Kiwi's, yanks or Canadians at all)

Me too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I'm a former barman and I've worked at that over here in an Irish pub. I've been to a load of bars around Melbourne and to be honest unless they are Irish or British themed they are badly laid out holes of places catering to hipsters drinking schooners of piss aussie beer with absolutely no craic allowed. Or maybe I'm in St. Kilda too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

I'm a former barman and I've worked at that over here in an Irish pub. I've been to a load of bars around Melbourne and to be honest unless they are Irish or British themed they are badly laid out holes of places catering to hipsters drinking schooners of piss aussie beer with absolutely no craic allowed. Or maybe I'm in St. Kilda too long.

if its the craic thats not allowed then thats not on,

if its falling all over the place starting fights with everyone, puking all over the place and being a cnut in general then its easy to see why thats not allowed...

its annoying how many get them two confused... but then again, thanks fcuk i'm not such an eejit ( though i have done it before, jack daniels is a bitch of a mistress.... )

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

A few years before everyone was going to America on a J-1
    Things swing in round abouts.

Next will be Canada or NZ getting a big influx of Irish as the new "cool" place to spend 6-12 months.

Don't hate what they do.
    At least they are getting out of a depressed Ireland for a while.
    Some of them will make the big move and stay for years. For others, it doesn't suit and they prefer home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Pdfile wrote: »
    if its the craic thats not allowed then thats not on,

if its falling all over the place starting fights with everyone, puking all over the place and being a cnut in general then its easy to see why thats not allowed...

its annoying how many get them two confused... but then again, thanks fcuk i'm not such an eejit ( though i have done it before, jack daniels is a bitch of a mistress.... )

No I don't mean anything that bad, fair enough if you're getting rowdy they should get rid of you but I've been out sober with my crowd and been asked to leave bars. Now the worst thing I could see that my crowd had done was get a bit too loud when they were taking the piss out of each other.

On the other hand I was in Cock n' Bull in Sydney at Christmas and it looks like you could have gotten away with anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭EUSSR

Cook Islands is nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

well this is awkward, I joined my first gym over here am getting a tattoo over here, But ive always thought i was cool as **** at home even if i was a "nerd", Plus who actually uses the word nerd when they get past 14

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Rabies wrote: »
    Next will be Canada or NZ getting a big influx of Irish as the new "cool" place to spend 6-12 months.

NZ is too much like home to become popular. High cost of living in terms of wage, a semi recessionary economy and sh1t weather. Half of New Zealanders seem to live in Australia, mainly for the above reasons.

Canada has cold weather 8 months per year and a quota system, not like the he who applies gets it system for Oz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

astonaidan wrote: »
    well this is awkward, I joined my first gym over here am getting a tattoo over here, But ive always thought i was cool as **** at home even if i was a "nerd", Plus who actually uses the word nerd when they get past 14

You go girl!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

What in the fcuk have you ever done with your life, out of curiousity? Likely nothing, like most people stuck back home.

Going to Australia for a year. "Doing something with your life" :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I went travelling for a year (well, 2 periods of six months) in my 20s and it was the best experience of my life. I didn't go to Australia though - South East Asia and New Zealand, but I'd love to go sometime. I can see why people would want to go there, nice weather and plenty of work. That said, I can't understand the appeal of spending 12 months in an Irish ghetto and not seeing the rest of the country. Still, if it's what someone wants to do, let them at it.

Advertisement