Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

Kilmurry
    Spent 1st year here in 2002/3. Was a great place to live for first year, had some great times there. Lived with 7 others (4 lads, 4 gals) so ya get to know lots of new people. Bout 10 min walk to main college building. Had internet (however all ports were blocked except for http port). Bus stop is bout 10 mins away also. Nearest good shop (ie. with OffLicence) was Chalkes about 15 minutes walk through the dell factory.

Milford Grange (Heidleberg)
    The houses here weren't great. You could (just barely) hear people next door if they were talking. But great location (probably the best). It was about 7 minutes walk to main building. You're also near Spar, fairly near to lodge, superquinn, cinema.

Oaklawns
    Houses have really big front rooms and kitchens. But most of the rooms were tiny if you were upstairs anyway. Was a bit of a walk to college in the morning, i suppose about 15 mins maybe? But you are very close to the cinema, lodge and superquinn area which is cool. A bit more residents around than Milford or College Court.

College Court
    I'm just here for this summer, so its very dead around. Most of the houses are empty. But im sure that'll all pick up once college starts up! Houses are ok, good kitchen, small front room, large bedroom. Very close to Schuman Buiding or library. But thats about all that its close to. The nearest shops are Spar or Maxol near the groody roundabout which is a bit of a walk. The superquin,lodge, cinema area is miles away, bout 30 min walk i suppose.

I guess if your a first year, on campus is cool. But the best place live imo is probably milford grange if you can get a nice house and the right people to live with. :)
    I suppose its more important to be near the college itself in 1st and 2nd year cos you tend to spend more time walking to and from the college whereas in 3rd and 4th year (for us anyway) we're a lot busier and spend most of the day in there so ya only walk to/form there once per day. But that all depends on your course, hours, timetable and amount of time spent drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Dún an Óir, Milford Grange...
    Spent first year here in digs, which isnt the best example, since it was a family house, but a nice house, very good location, 10 mins from college, 3 mins from the shop and bus stop. Not the quietest area though.

Oaklawns...
    Spent my first 2nd year here, the houses are ok, but very small. Massive kitchen, big sitting room, but everything else was small. Stairs led from sitting room to landing so if someone was talking in one part of the house, it could be heard anywhere. Location was a bit crap, 15 mins from college and 10 mins from chawkes or esso. Quiet area.

Hazelwood...
    Spent my second 2nd year here, the houses are nice. The rooms are fairly spacious and the house, although old, was warm. 3 bathrooms inc one en suite. Very quiet area, apart from some noisy scooter-using scumbags who lived there for the summer. But location was brilliant, right beside spar and offie, and 11 mins to college (i timed it).

Compostella, Milford Grange...
    Only been living there 2 weeks, but the house is abnormally big. 7 bedrooms, only one which could be considered small. 3 bathrooms with showers (2 pumped, 1 electric). A little bit on the noisy side, but very close to college but not too close to shops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Sergeant Horse

you have Plassey in two areas.

1st Year i lived in the Salesian Hostel beside the Car PArk, 2 seconds walk from the college with Sky Digital and a free pool table. However it was run by priests so no alco, women etc. But good for 1st Years

2nd Year I lived in Plassey. Great place but a bit old and run down. i hear they are doing it up though. From what I hear as well, it is the best On Campus to live in due to having the best Management!

2nd Year Part 2: THe Repeat : duh I lived in Groody Park. It was ok, with free broadband, double beds, big comfy chairs. But the managemnt was crap and they were out to screw you over monetary wise at every corner.

This year, the making it to 3rd year on the second attempt year, I'm living in Castlebrook in College Court. its a nice house with Chorus and the Landlady is sound. no complaints so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭natter

Plassey Village: Lived there in first year and would strongly recommend it to first years as most of the friends I've made in college were people I lived with that year. I got to meet a load of people easily. It would be especially advisable to live here if you didn't know anyone else coming to UL. Its also idealy located, 10 min walk from college, 5 mins from spar and about 15/20 from the hurlers/lodge/superquinn. The houses are quiet small though for 8 people to live in and there was always lots of noise outside... damn boys always playing rugby in the street til 2 in the morn!

Elm Park: Lived here in 2nd year and despite the bad reputation that it has I found it ok. Again centrally located, 2 mins from hurlers & superquinn, about 15 mins from college. There are some terrible rotten cold damp houses in the Elm Park but ours was grand. Easy to heat, fairly big rooms and there was always house parties and plenty of craic to be had around the place. It could get quiet loud at night esp after the lodge, and the you wouldnt want to be having any private conversations cos you could pretty much hear everything going on in the rest of the house.

I'm living in Brierfield this year, the house seemed lovely when we saw it in May. Moving in next week so I cant really give all the positives or negatives about the place yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

These are all fairly broad generalisations and opinions of the areas I've lived in.

Milford Grange: good location, close to college/shops/offie, houses vary, lived in a crappyish one on Avilla and a nice cheap one on dun an oir. Rent is not expensive

College Court: Rent a little more expensive but good location. A lot of nice houses.

Groody village: nice big apartments but management are morons (or at least were when I lived there)

Brookfield village: only been here a month but I like it. Nice fast broadband, large ensuite room, nice apartment, rent is reasonable for what you get. Location isn't the best but there's a free shuttle bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i have spent 5 years in briarfield, in the oaks and the cedars, its a bit of a walk, but hey, who wants to be near the college! its just across from the hurlers/lodge/shopping center/ and all sorts of mod cons such as video/chippers/bookies etc. houses are generally good. only fault if the knackers that live up the road near chawskes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

Castlebrook, College Court - Spent first part of my first 1st year there, nice area, loevly warm house but the nasty nasty reputation...Farrrr away from a shop, very close to campus tho, on the loud side tho...5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms (1 en-suite)

El Dorado, Milford Grange - second part of first 1st year, Big decrepid house but was a nice homely atmosphere (strangely enough), wasn't too loud at all and close enough to the campus, handy for somebody goin to the gym a fair bit.

Hazelwood - spent second 1st year here and now hopefully the one 2nd year (in a better house this year tho...), look above at Mr. Chessington's post for that area

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

1 st year : Dun an Oir, Milford Grange
    2nd year : Compostella, Milford Grange
    3rd Year : The Willows, Elm Park
    4th Year : Avilla, Milford Grange.

As you can tell I was a big fan of Milford Grange. The houses seemed to be the best, but you are always going to find sh*tholes there.

The house in Elm Park was one of the Red Brick ones you pass on the right when walking from the gap towards esso. It was a great house.
    Really liked Elm Park, a lot livelier than Milford Grange (even thought there is only a ditch seperating them!)

The trick is to find the nice houses before you leave for the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

1st year Monalleen Digs
    2nd year 720 Elm park
    3rd year 711 Elm Park
    4th Year College court, house right at back of schumann.
    1st job college court followed by new housing estate beside singlands, thats now massive.!!, followed by Annacotty.

Have to say in UL, we had great craic in Elm park. some of the houses in there were toilets, 720 was a nice cosey place, 711 was a **** hole!. we left it late to get accomadation. But there was an amazing buzz around in the summer, boozing on top of garages, football in the park, boozing in the hurlers, and and 5 minutes to the lodge!!. Getting all nostalgic now, its being a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭bounceymousey

Im a first year living in Dromroe Village. i really regret it now cos i hardly know any other first years. Im doing general nursing but it seems no one knows anyone. And dromroe doesn't seem that connected in comparison to Plassey. I wish i actually put Plassey down now!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 meanturtle

Thomand

Brilliant except for two things crappy sofas and long way from college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Nice, spacey bedroom, with everything.

Homecooked meals everyday at no extra charge.

Broadband, chorus, esb, gas and landline all included, as well as laundry service and pretty reliable chauffeur.

Large sitting room, dining room, bathroom.

Best of all: no rent.

Where is my abode?

Home

:cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Nice, spacey bedroom, with everything.

Homecooked meals everyday at no extra charge.

Broadband, chorus, esb, gas and landline all included, as well as laundry service and pretty reliable chauffeur.

Large sitting room, dining room, bathroom.

Best of all: no rent.

Where is my abode?

Home

:cool:

Heating oil? €300

Rent? €55 a week

Being able to party/drink beer/have sex(Oh I cant wait for the jokes to come on that one) Have the music up as loud as YOU want it to be? Priceless

For some comforts theres living at home, For everything else theres living in rented accomodation with a few mates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Peteee wrote:

Being able to party/drink beer/have sex

I sure yore well able to have sex Pete, unless you've had a particulary bad accident you don't want to tell us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Peteee wrote:
    Being able to party/drink beer/have sex(Oh I cant wait for the jokes to come on that one) Have the music up as loud as YOU want it to be?

and that's why i have friends :D
    best of both worlds. you're just jealous 'cause mammy cooks me dinner na na na na naaaaa

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

and that's why i have friends :D
    best of both worlds. you're just jealous 'cause mammy cooks me dinner na na na na naaaaa

Pffft

/me tucks into Dunnes Stores 99c 'Shepards Pie' with about 30% meat content and 'Potatoe flakes'

Yummy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

College Court this year >> Harvard Close.

rent resonable.
    have sky digital.
    have digiweb metro.

close to college.

ideal tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I'm living in Plassey and I think it's grand. The fridge and freezer are a joke for 8 people though, way too small. The fridges in the 4 person apartments in Thomond are twice the size of our ones for eight. Also when everyone's home it gets a bit noisy but that would happen anywhere. Apart from the fridge and freezer I have no real complaints!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 grizi

1st yr - Digs in college court - handy for the 1st semester but really wanted more freedom in 2nd semester

2nd yr - House in Milford Grange - filthy dirty but probably the best house as we really made it comfy and everyone was around and not worried about FYP etc

3rd yr - Groody Village - stuff was nice and new but it wasn't built very well and an extended family of mice had moved in................. they had to go when they started to stare back at us instead of running away!

4th yr - Brookfield - even nicer than Groody (apart from the couches), unlucky to get an apartment at the coldest spot in the whole place, didn't find the storage heating much good and the previous manager was unbelievably ignorant.

Now - back to a good auld house in Briarfield. It's great to be near Superquinn, bus stops, chinese and college, only pain was organising telephone and BB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

howdy folks.
    im an ickle first year, and stayin in classy plassey
    absolutely and utterly adore plassey.
    seriously perfect for first years.the people there are jus genuinely warm and friendly and its cool cos like youre thrown into the house with 7 other random ppl and you do make friends instantly.
    i was so worried bout it but its jus awesome!
    management are bang on.good auld grainne and graham norton.
    and the caretaker is a bit strange but adorable!

security are idiots this year.but manageable.
    would only recommend plassey to 1st years though.

hopin to move to groody next year, are there buses goin to college?how much are they and whatnot?
    oh and shld i be really worried bout the "management" ? (dunno why i put in the inverted commas, jus think that from the way you guys are talkin about them , there shld be a kinda ominous tone)

• Advertisement

What number do you live in in Plassey? I live there too and surprisingly enough, I don't know that many people!

Actually on second thought, you probably don't want to be giving out your address on this board, who knows who could be lurking around? ;) PM me if you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Myself and the minstrel are also in Plassey...apparently the only Irish in the house! Heheheheh

Send forth ye PMs if ye like...

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

heya..
    i know this is d ul one.. but i said id write in anyway..
    see im doin the leaving and i hope to b going to mary i in september.. was wondering is any1 could give me tips on where to live and where not to live..
    hop ye can help!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Hows it going, I'm from Dublin and could well be venturing down to the fun part of the country for the next 5 years. I've been looking at accomodation, and am completely lost.

Plassey sounds like it's great craic but I wouldn't be able to handle sharing a bathroom with someone. I like the sound of Dromroe so far.

Could anyone give me a direction as to where to go, keeping in mind I'll be a big lonely on my tobleroner? Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Funkstard wrote:

Plassey sounds like it's great craic but I wouldn't be able to handle sharing a bathroom with someone. I like the sound of Dromroe so far.

Could anyone give me a direction as to where to go, keeping in mind I'll be a big lonely on my tobleroner?

Plassey is supposed to be great fun granted I've never lived there. Dromroe and Thomond are the newer student villages, there's also one that's not finished yet Cappavilla or something stupid like that. If you don't like the idea of sharing a jacx I'd suggest staying away from Kilmurry and Plassey.

Brookfield (all rooms ensuite), The Courtyard and the multiple estates around the college are also options. Stay away from Elm Park if you do end up going down this route.

I think there's a list of websites at the start of this thread for the various villages around so I'd suggest taking a look at them.

Cheers
    Rory.

Right...it seems I've got a place in Thomond. The website makes it out to be more for older students and not 1st years. Can anyone shed light?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

Yeah they do give that idea and the majority of people there are 2nd, 3rd, 4th years and post grads but there are a good few 1st years aswell so don't worry! If I had first year back again I'd live in Dromroe instead of Kilmurry anyway

So I shouldn't be worried? Hopefully I'll get into one of the 6 bed apartments anyway...should be great fun. The village itself looks absolutely brilliant. Distance to any building isn't an issue with any on-camus accomodation is it?

My boyfriend lived in a 4 bed in Thomond last year and lived with first years. All the people in the flat beneath him are first years too. I'm pretty sure they'll assign you a room with as many first years as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

I stayed in a house in Briarfield and it was great. This is very handy to shops including superquin and most importantly pubs and cinema. The landlord was sound and has 3 houses all ajoining so if you have mates you can all stay in same house or just next door. He is also arranging to have Broadband installed in houses so will mean you can work at home.

Houses are about 8 years old and are being refreshed this year. Each have 7 bedrooms and are very spacey with large gardens.

Advertisement