Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Print digital media technology offer - round zero - CAO. Reviews please!! =)

• 07-08-2012 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi, :D

I got offered a place to do Print Digital Media Technology Management (Level 8) in Round Zero last week off the CAO.

It was NOT what I was planning to do at all. In my application this was down as Number 6 on the Level 8 options.

I was hoping to get offered Film and Broadcasting (Level 8) in DIT OR TV and Media Production (Level 7) in Carlow IT, but unfortunately I appear to have been dismissed from these options for the time being..

However I MAY still get offered these in Round One if they are made available to me.

I accepted the course I was offered today as a backup. If all comes to all and I get offered nothing else, I am CONSIDERING going to DIT to do this...

But from what I have researched, it appears to be PRIMARILY a business degree with a dabble into the media-- I wouldn't have much interest in business which is putting me off.

Basically I'm hoping a current/past student of this degree could let me know a bit more about it... Ideally, I am hoping to enter the media industry, particularly broadcasting.

Could any of you tell me more about this course? Would you recommend it? Is it primarily business focused? What jobs would come as an outcome to this degree?

Also, if anyone else has submitted as a non standard applicant through fetac in the past (like me), did you get offered anything in your Level 6/7 options ALSO or at the round one stage? I got five distinctions out of a possible nine and was confident that it would secure me a better place...

Ah well! Round one will tell!

In the meantime, any information would be sound...

... Also, what's DIT like? :D

Cheers!

Aisling :pac::pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭VickBack

I don't do this course but am in DIT... It's a great college!

But as far as I'm aware once you accept an offer in the CAO you won't get offered another...? I could be wrong but I don't think I am :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

This happened to me before, I got an offer for Visual Communications in round zero, I accepted it despite it being my second choice, in round one I got an offer for fine art, the course I wanted to do and accepted it. The Points went down by five for visual communications and my place was given up to somebody else after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Xrox

Now this is not a recommendation but just a thought for you as a last option most colleges allow internal transfers .i.e. from one course to another.

This however means you would have to take the course your unsure of in DIT and do first year. You can then go through the channels while in first year and say that the course your doing is not for you and you think youd be more suited to the course you want (stating it has less business in it and is more in your wheel house).

Once youve shown in first year of the course you dont want that youve tried (attended classes, handed in work etc), they generally allow you to join the course you want in first year the next year. There are major drawbacks to this one is paying full fees for first year the second time around (as your technically repeating first year) and another is doing the extra year.

I have friends that have done this in UL, UCC and CIT so i'm sure its possible in DIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Kelleherqueen

Hi, thanks guys for replying to my query! I couldnt find how to individually reply here dunno if you can, sorry I'm a bit of a technophobe at the min! I'm guessing i'm writing this in the wrong place but anyway..
    Xrox wrote:
    Now this is not a recommendation but just a thought for you as a last option most colleges allow internal transfers .i.e. from one course to another.

This however means you would have to take the course your unsure of in DIT and do first year. You can then go through the channels while in first year and say that the course your doing is not for you and you think youd be more suited to the course you want (stating it has less business in it and is more in your wheel house).

Once youve shown in first year of the course you dont want that youve tried (attended classes, handed in work etc), they generally allow you to join the course you want in first year the next year. There are major drawbacks to this one is paying full fees for first year the second time around (as your technically repeating first year) and another is doing the extra year.

I have friends that have done this in UL, UCC and CIT so i'm sure its possible in DIT.

that's really interesting and thankyou for the advice!! i've heard of this happening before also. unfortunately there is no way i will be able to afford fees of over 2grand for an added year. it is not an option because of finances and because for me personally, it would be a wasted year. thank you anyway!
    Adriatic wrote:
    This happened to me before, I got an offer for Visual Communications in round zero, I accepted it despite it being my second choice, in round one I got an offer for fine art, the course I wanted to do and accepted it. The Points went down by five for visual communications and my place was given up to somebody else after this.

it's reassuring to hear it happened to you and worked out:) i await round one in anticipation :)
    thank you!
    Vickback wrote:
    I don't do this course but am in DIT... It's a great college!

But as far as I'm aware once you accept an offer in the CAO you won't get offered another...? I could be wrong but I don't think I am :-/

thanks for letting me know DIT is ace :) im 100% you get other offers though bec cao verified it, maybe thats just for non standard like me though :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Hi, thanks guys for replying to my query! I couldnt find how to individually reply here dunno if you can, sorry I'm a bit of a technophobe at the min! I'm guessing i'm writing this in the wrong place but anyway..

Hey Kelleherqueen,

I've fixed that post for you. In future, all you have to to is click the " quote button if there is only one you want to quote, or if there is a few posts you want to quote click the + " button on each post you want to quote, then at the bottom click Post Reply and they will all be in there.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Kelleherqueen

Hey Kelleherqueen,

I've fixed that post for you. In future, all you have to to is click the " quote button if there is only one you want to quote, or if there is a few posts you want to quote click the + " button on each post you want to quote, then at the bottom click Post Reply and they will all be in there.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Advertisement