Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the curse of the old Butcher shop

• 22-07-2012 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

There was a butcher shop beside st Nicks for about a hundred years. the family run business was closed under controversial circumstances when the absentee landlord demanded an exorbitant hike in rent. the building had been granted to the landlords family by Elisabeth 1 and the natives had paid rent on it since.

in any case after the butchers moved out no business seems to last long in the place. it seems to be a donut joint at the moment. Previously it was a chippers,a business surely guaranteed to succeed? so do you think the place is cursed or just a sign of how things come and go in Galway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

I'm not a great believer in supernatural powers...

Perhaps it has something to do with a poxy landlord and ridiculously high rents ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Fuinseog wrote: »
    it seems to be a donut joint at the moment. Previously it was a chippers,a business surely guaranteed to succeed? so do you think the place is cursed or just a sign of how things come and go in Galway?

I believe that Polish cake shop is the look at they were going for, rather than donut shop - though St Kilda, it ain't.

I also understand that the man who was running it as a chipper decided to go back to sea, hence the change. Nothing to do with rents this time - at least not the way it was told to Mr justM anyway. (Quite disappointed, 'cos IMHO there's now no decent fish and chips in the city centre.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The name of the building is 'Thimble Castle'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Never heard that Eliz 1 owned property in Galway. Saw many Galway title deeds, never saw any such mention

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

nuac wrote: »
    Never heard that Eliz 1 owned property in Galway. Saw many Galway title deeds, never saw any such mention

when the butchers were fighting to stay on and appealing for support SF were among the few to support them. An Phoblacht ran an article about them.

rent is still being paid to the Brits. apparently, the British had to be paid off when building the causeway to mutton island as part of the area around there belonged to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

(Quite disappointed, 'cos IMHO there's now no decide fish and chips in the city centre.)[/QUOTE]
    What about Mc Donagh's???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

hollysf wrote: »
    (Quite disappointed, 'cos IMHO there's now no decide fish and chips in the city centre.)
    What about Mc Donagh's???[/QUOTE]
    Greasetrap. Like JM said no decent fish and chips in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Surprised you brought this up OP. Everyone from Galway knows what happened with the place.
    I'm veggie nearly 40 years but still remember going in for the 5p chops and bones for the dog when I was a kid.
    One of the loveliest familys in town.

@JustMary Is he talking about the C's or the people who took it over for a short while after? From my limited knowledge the only business that made money since Mike left was the Crepe shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

How come no one has asked the most important question? What are "decide fish and chips"?

LOL! I missed that. Subliminal advertising maybe?

• Advertisement

What about Mc Donagh's???
    Greasetrap. Like JM said no decent fish and chips in the city centre.[/QUOTE]

a chippers with grease. i don't believe it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

rent is still being paid to the Brits. apparently, the British had to be paid off when building the causeway to mutton island as part of the area around there belonged to them.
    Right, the Brits. The Brits being the Queen, the UK tax payer, Lord Whatshisname or the just the Brits:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

I think its Harmack thats owns the building Now? In partnership with someone possibly. mentioned in this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056339009
    I believe the Harry Fitz name was connected.
    Don't think the crepe guy made money. Very busy but high rent and looked very very labour intensive.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056339009

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

I can't see that new polish donut shop lasting very long at all,never busy when you pass and the buildings major fail is the lack of covered seating,
    The donut/sweet shop won't last the winter,

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

Surprised you brought this up OP. Everyone from Galway knows what happened with the place.
    I'm veggie nearly 40 years but still remember going in for the 5p chops and bones for the dog when I was a kid.
    One of the loveliest familys in town.

@JustMary Is he talking about the C's or the people who took it over for a short while after? From my limited knowledge the only business that made money since Mike left was the Crepe shop.

Just curious, anyone know where Mike is now or what he's doing with himself? Been several years since I've seen him but always had great time for him, lovely man, a very interesting character. Loved to call into the butchers, and later the chipper, for a chat with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I thought I invented that curse. Is that what other people are thinking too? certainly seems to have a major turnover of businesses going through the same premises.
    6 months seems to be about the norm, but did the crepe place last longer?

Sappa wrote: »
    I can't see that new polish donut shop lasting very long at all,never busy when you pass and the buildings major fail is the lack of covered seating,
    The donut/sweet shop won't last the winter,

the curse has been declared.

I know eatereis are coming and going at a great rate. there is a pie shop on cross street but will it last? abbeygate street had a place that made cornish pastries. not sure if it is still there. it could be that exotic cuisine such as the German place( was is too expensive or just unsuitable for the local palate?).it has been replaced by a godawful looking chippers.

lucianot wrote: »

tis. there is a plaque to the IRA hunger strikers on the wall outside or at least there was until recently. i is not a bit of a paradox to commemerate people who died of hunger at a place where you stuff your face?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Cornish pastie place closed several months back, not sure if it is anything new at the moment. I don't tend to walk down there too much. Think i tend to take other roads around that section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Stevolende wrote: »
    Cornish pastie place closed several months back, not sure if it is anything new at the moment. I don't tend to walk down there too much. Think i tend to take other roads around that section.
    Its an overpriced veggie place now. The German place just didnt appeal to the general punter it would seem, i liked it, good stuff in there and was nice and cheap.

lucianot wrote: »

tis. there is a plaque to the IRA hunger strikers on the wall outside or at least there was until recently. i is not a bit of a paradox to commemerate people who died of hunger at a place where you stuff your face?
    Did they remove that plaque from the wall,I hope not as Mike M put that up and would be none to pleased,

Thing some of yis need to do another walk around town. Pastie Place gone! Don't see any veggie replacement. Both the chippers gone! I see there is a bit of work goin on in one of them probably because Central Park/Electric is opening across the road. Dunno what that's going to be next. Wouldn't be surprised if Charcoal Kill took it again seeing as they must be making a few bob again since The Bently opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

the curse has been declared.

... it could be that exotic cuisine such as the German place( was is too expensive or just unsuitable for the local palate?).it has been replaced by a godawful looking chippers.

... which is long since closed!

fyi, the land-speed record for time between opening and closing is currently held by Jack and Ella's, which was open for about four weeks in the premises that Bugaloo Burgeers was in.

Pastie Place is now a fairly blah "Lighthouse Cafe" - which was only doing tea/coffee/scones when it first opened. I think they have a wider menu now, but doubt they will last after the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

Did they remove that plaque from the wall,I hope not as Mike M put that up and would be none to pleased,

Where does Mike M stand on the bailout of unsecured Anglo bondholders? Hopefully he is none too pleased so that can be rectified, given he has about as much to do with that as this.

Where does Mike M stand on the bailout of unsecured Anglo bondholders? Hopefully he is none too pleased so that can be rectified, given he has about as much to do with that as this.
    Ehh what?
    He put that sign up as a Mark of respect,how does Anglo even come into this as you clearly haven't a clue about the origins of that plaque.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Thud

That used to be "Snack Box", was a legendary chipper when it was there

JustMary wrote: »

fyi, the land-speed record for time between opening and closing is currently held by Jack and Ella's, which was open for about four weeks in the premises that Bugaloo Burgeers was in.

Think there would be a photo-finish between that and An Sibin.

Think there would be a photo-finish between that and An Sibin.

I was in sibin once and it seemed to have potential. they had live blues music and a good selection of beers. perhaps the location was not the best but woodquay has potential for rejuvenation.

• Advertisement

Thud wrote: »
    That used to be "Snack Box", was a legendary chipper when it was there

any idea why it went bust?

Advertisement